Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

ABS bulk order

Posted by jpcw 
ABS bulk order
April 22, 2011 06:54AM
Hi is anyone interested in some 3mm ABS? I should be getting my thing-o-matic in a few weeks and was looking at getting a few roles. I think I can get it landed in Perth for around $20 per kg but have to order at least 25kg for white,natural,black or 75kg for other colours. Bit much for just me but if a few other people are interested it might be worth it.
Re: ABS bulk order
April 27, 2011 02:20AM
Just beware of some of the online ABS suppliers you see on e-bay. Their filament isn't very consistent (eg: 3mm filament that varies from 2.6mm to almost 3.8mm outer diameter in some cases, and in many cases is oval and not round), which will jam your extruder and so is completely useless.

Also of note: Check out the Australian Suppliers wiki page, as we have at least one plastics supplier (who creates 3mm filament from raw ABS pellets). If there are any local (eg: WA) places that aren't listed on the suppliers page, please feel free to add them (eg: mechanical hardware, electronics, plastics, etc).
May 09, 2011 07:47PM
It's not from ebay. They are direct from a manufacturer in China. I'd like to use local but the prices I looked at were at least double. But if nobody is interested then I may just try it myself, will take quite a while to get through 25kg but at least it should last.
May 23, 2011 07:10AM
I got a bit in from a china supplier and the quality was quite bad. Almost no sense of tolerances on one roll (varied 2.1mm - about 4mm) and the other was roughly 3.4 +- .2mm when it was suppose to be 3mm.

I wouldn't rush out to order 25 kgs without carefully checking first. Have them send a sample order of a few kilos if you can first. Tell them that you need to verify suitability and that larger orders will follow.

Also, in buying other stuff I have requested photos to be sent of the product prior to shipping - seems to be a good final check and might help avoid wasting money on freight.

If you like PM me and I'll track through my emails and I'll let you know who I ordered from (no use us both getting a bad lot of abs from them ..)

Good luck :-)

I'm in Syd but if you do get some decent quality 3mm ABS landed I'd be interested in a few kilos at 20 plus freight.
May 24, 2011 02:04AM
I've told jpcw I'd be happy take on a little risk as part of a trial order of this abs.

Anyone else interested in sharing risk on this?

It's worth adding that I've also bought some PLA sourced from China and found it to be quite good dimensionally. Not really printing well enough to judge at the moment (extruder issues) but hand extrusion tests seem almost identical to ultimachines PLA.
October 03, 2011 08:51AM
Hi,
Is there any update on this?
Did any ABS get ordered and was it ok, quality and price?
October 04, 2011 08:24AM
BTW: Lybina in Vic are apparently $16.50/kg (plus shipping).

(Check out the Melb thread if you want more detail).
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login