Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

X-motor controller

Posted by peregrine 
X-motor controller
March 04, 2012 09:44AM
Hi all,

we have recently purchased a reprap pro huxley and have been laboring away assembling it.

We had thought we had it all together and in good order, got to the commissioning section of the build instructions, started testing and now find that what ever motor we connect to the x-controller keeps moving in one direction only. That is we are able to send a g-code to the motor and have it respond however the motor will never travel in reverse.

G1 X5 produces movement to the right
G1 X0 produces movement to the right
G1 X-5 produces movement to the right.

We are at a loss to explain this and hope that someone might have a solution to our problem.
Re: X-motor controller
March 04, 2012 11:02AM
It looks like the direction signal is not getting from the micro to the stepper controller. The most likely fault is a bent pin on the Pololu or the Atmega. If that is not the case then perhaps bad soldering on either board. Try swapping the X and Y controllers as see if the fault moves to Y or stays on X.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
March 05, 2012 08:05AM
Hi,
I am new to this, but during the build of my own 3D printer I had a lot of little problems to sort out on the way.
If you have checked nopheads suggestions and that is not the problem, maybe you have the same problem as I had.(provided you use ramps and sprinter firmware)
I have found that using the Mega 2560, Ramps and Sprinter firmware I had a very similar thing happening to my Y axis.
I use mechanical endstops, min on X and Z but max on Y. I found that I had to disable min pin on Y-axis as both max and min was enabled by
default in the firmware. Only enable the pins that are actually needed.

Settings in pin.h
#define Y_MIN_PIN -1 //14
#define Y_MAX_PIN 15 //15

This fixed my problem. As soon as min was disabled it moved in both directions. Prior to this it moved only one way.
Hope you fix your problem.
Regards
Jan

MyBlog
March 05, 2012 09:56AM
We have swapped the X and Y axis motors and the problem transfers to the Y.

Was a purchased board with no soldering done by us. Failure occured when trying to set the current levels by placing a meter between ground and the trimpot.
March 05, 2012 11:39AM
Assuming you didn't short anything with the meter probe it is probably a bad solder joint on the QFN package and pressing on the PCB flexed it a little. You can look up which pin DIR is and attempt to reflow it if you have a soldering iron with a small tip and some liquid flux.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login