Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Your opinion on the Smoothie documentation ?

Posted by arthurwolf 
Your opinion on the Smoothie documentation ?
January 20, 2017 01:06PM
Hey !

Having a clear, exhaustive and user-friendly documentation is one of the core goals of the Smoothie project.
We have put a lot of work into what we have now, and we get quite a bit of praise for it.
We are also currently working on producing video documentation, though that's a long-term goal.
But nothing is perfect.

I've recently been working on improving the documentation further, and I think I have a hard time putting myself in my shoes of the "average" user sometimes. I know where everything is and what everything means.
The thing is new users don't.

What do you think could be improved ?
What did you search and not find ?
What was not clear enough ?
Do you have ideas of how to structure some things better ? Add pointers in some places ?
Are some things too cryptic or too advanced ? Are some not enough ?

If you take just a few minutes to give feedback on your experience with the Smoothie wiki ( [smoothieware.org] ) and your ideas on how to improve it, you will be helping to improve the documentation, and making the life of new users easier.
I can't promise I will fulfill everyone's wishes or implement everyone's ideas, but your comments will definitely help push the documentation in the right direction and make things better.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers !!
Re: Your opinion on the Smoothie documentation ?
January 26, 2017 09:16AM
I'm currently going through this and trying to figure it out, the documentation for the physical connections is pretty good. The largest issue I have is software documentation. I have basic understanding of programming, so with Marlin I can fix most errors that show up when trying to compile the firmware, but with this I'm grasping a little bit. Asking for help on the Smoothie forums got me "it's pretty straightforward, just follow the instructions" which is patently untrue or I wouldn't be asking about it.

I, honestly, would truly like to see a straightforward conversion from Marlin to Smoothie's config file. I know from reading that there aren't many settings to actually port over, but what they are, where to find them, these are things I'm not familiar with.

To be clear, I'm working with a kossel style delta printer.
January 26, 2017 10:34AM
We already have documentation about how to port options from Marlin ( for example smoothieware.org/delta has that ), but I'm adding a "porting from Marlin guide" to the TODO list, thanks for the suggestion.
March 14, 2017 06:21AM
I don't own a smoothi board yet (I'm probably going to use one in my next project) so I've been reading a lot of the documentation.

It's mostly quite good but the proof will be in the pudding, so to speak, when I actually start the build.

However what is quite frustrating is that the whole smoothie site is completely broken on iPhone safari. I do most of my internet browsing and reading on my iPhone, but I can't view the smoothie site on it, and I have to use my PC instead.

If you look at the attached fscreenshot, the ~90% black section is the header navigation and the tiny white section at the bottom is the main part of the page. Unusable!!
Attachments:
open | download - IMG_2430.PNG (118.5 KB)
March 16, 2017 01:00AM
I've enjoyed the smoothie documentation so far, but now it's time to ask a question in the forum.

When replying to a topic, I'm told that I need to log in. OK, how do I register? I've looked and looked, but can't find anything.

I also can't find a way to search the forum.

Posting here because... well... I can't post on the smoothie forum smiling smiley

Edit: It seems I can register as a wikidot user, but the error messages says that I could become a member of the smoothie site. I can't find a way to be a member of the smoothie site.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/2017 01:07AM by nebbian.
March 16, 2017 04:52AM
You can always use the smoothie google group: [groups.google.com]

Son of MegaMax 3D printer: [www.instructables.com]
Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
March 16, 2017 06:59PM
This page: [smoothieware.org] does not contain the delta tower angle, and delta tower offset config parameters. Took me a while to find them, had to dig through the source code.

It needs to show these parameters:
delta_tower1_offset
delta_tower2_offset
delta_tower3_offset
delta_tower1_angle
delta_tower2_angle
delta_tower3_angle
March 22, 2017 02:26PM
What would help would be to accumulate a set of working 'canned conversion configurations' for various low-end kit printers. I know the wiki contains examples of HowTo for the various features in general, but having config files that can be downloaded directly to XXXX printer would be really nice.
March 23, 2017 02:51PM
arthurwolf
We already have documentation about how to port options from Marlin ( for example smoothieware.org/delta has that ), but I'm adding a "porting from Marlin guide" to the TODO list, thanks for the suggestion.

FYI, we now have this : [smoothieware.org]

slippyr4
However what is quite frustrating is that the whole smoothie site is completely broken on iPhone safari.

I don't know how to fix it, but several users have offered to help so that should get fixed soon.
I'm really surprised how many users visit the site via mobile, sounds like it's a lot seeing how many complains I got.

nebbian
Edit: It seems I can register as a wikidot user, but the error messages says that I could become a member of the smoothie site. I can't find a way to be a member of the smoothie site.

Just create a wikidot account, log into it, and you will be logged into the smoothie forum.

About the delta options, they are at the bottom of [smoothieware.org]

markshur
What would help would be to accumulate a set of working 'canned conversion configurations' for various low-end kit printers. I know the wiki contains examples of HowTo for the various features in general, but having config files that can be downloaded directly to XXXX printer would be really nice.

That's planned, we do want to do that.
September 13, 2017 12:27AM
The termistor types have been quite static for a while. Any more types added not yet documented?
September 13, 2017 03:51AM
Captain_sq
The termistor types have been quite static for a while. Any more types added not yet documented?

Well, it's not like there are new thermistors being created that often on the market smiling smiley

And for people who have an exotic thermistor ( which is very rare but happens ), Smoothie provides two different methods to use the datasheet to get it to work with Smoothie, so everybody without exception can get it to work.

If you have a thermistor that's not in the list and you can show it's at least somewhat commonly used, we'll gladly add it. But we have not had such a request for years now.
September 20, 2017 12:23PM
We could definitely use better interface instructions on connecting various user panels to the smoothie. The config descriptions are adequate for the most part, but having illustrated how-tos on setting up the hardware and cabling runs would be nice. This is especially true since the RepRapDiscount smart GLCD daughtercard has *never* been available for sale as far as I can tell - I know that Uberclock has never stocked it in the year+ I've been looking (they've even removed it from their product list).

I know you really don't like MKS for their SBASE product, but their TFT28 and TFT32 are nice displays and having 'official' support for interfacing the displays (only) on a real Smoothieboard can only help.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login