Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New Smoothie features, please test

Posted by arthurwolf 
New Smoothie features, please test
July 02, 2016 05:44PM
Dear Smoothie community.

Jim Morris just merged a massive code refactor into Smoothie ( [github.com] ).
Thanks to him for this truly massive chunk of work, and to all those who tested it before merging.

This changes Smoothie to calculate acceleration for every step instead of 1000 times a second, which results in even smoother/better quality movement.
It also comes with many many smaller improvements to planning and step generation. It solves many small problems users experienced in some circumstances. Amongst those, it is expected to fix the infamous "S3D bug", so please test that.
It is also expected to make Smoothie wore sturdy overall, and is a first step towards implementing some more refactors.

A few things have changed for users, so please read [github.com] before upgrading.

To upgrade, the procedure is as usual, and you can find it here : [smoothieware.org]

Please tell us if you encounter any problems, and what you think about your Smoothie's new step generation.

Cheers smiling smiley

PS : The code does not support laser yet, do not upgrade to this new version if you are using a laser. We will implement laser as soon as possible.
Re: New Smoothie features, please test
July 02, 2016 06:44PM
arthurwolf
This changes Smoothie to calculate acceleration for every step instead of 1000 times a second, which results in even smoother/better quality movement.

It'r nice to see another firmware doing this - welcome to the club! smiling smiley

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
July 02, 2016 06:45PM
dc42
arthurwolf

It'r nice to see another firmware doing this - welcome to the club! smiling smiley

Thanks smiling smiley

We should be getting S-curve accel and n-axis support soon too.

We don't plan on implementing the per-step delta stuff though.
July 02, 2016 06:52PM
Hi Arthur,

What do you expect to be the benefits of S-curve acceleration, in a 3D printer?

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
July 02, 2016 06:58PM
dc42
Hi Arthur,

What do you expect to be the benefits of S-curve acceleration, in a 3D printer?

I'm not sure there'll be many for a 3D printer really.

The research I did showed that the only advantage of S-curve was increased tool life on large CNC mills.

However, others argue that it also helps manage machine shaking, the same way max_jerk/junction_deviation does.

Yet others say it just "feels" or "sounds" better smiling smiley

I guess we'll see smiling smiley this is an experiment too.
August 04, 2016 03:39AM
As soon as I activate the panel as universal_adapter the board will stop with the first and last LED on. The two LED in the middle are off. Nothing is blinking.
With panel tunred off the printer is working as usual.
August 04, 2016 05:07AM
Are you sure everything is connected correctly ?
August 04, 2016 06:43AM
Yes, I have not touched anything. Only the firmware and config update was done.
I have also switched back to the one from Dezember 2015 and that is working fine.
I am in the office, I will post that part of the config that causes it as soon as I am at home.
August 04, 2016 11:39AM
I tried it a few moments before with the firmware of 29.12.2015 edge2163ccd and the display is working fine.
I also tried it before with one of march - that is also not working.

Here my configuration for the panel:
# Panel See [smoothieware.org]
panel.enable true # set to true to enable the panel code

# glcd
panel.lcd universal_adapter # set type of panel
panel.spi_channel 0 # set spi channel to use P0_18,P0_15 MOSI,SCLK
panel.spi_cs_pin 1.22 # set spi chip select
panel.busy_pin nc # uno ist busy (for universal_adapter)
panel.encoder_a_pin 1.25!^ # encoder pin
panel.encoder_b_pin 1.27!^ # encoder pin
panel.click_button_pin 3.26!^ # click button
panel.a0_pin 2.6 # st7565 needs an a0
panel.contrast 10
panel.encoder_resolution 4 # override number of clicks to move 1 item (default is 4)
panel.button_pause_pin 1.22^ # kill/pause set one of these for the auxilliary button on viki2
panel.back_button_pin 1.22!^ # back button recommended to use this on EXP1
panel.buzz_pin 1.30 # pin for buzzer on EXP2
panel.reverse 1
panel.external_sd false # set to true if there is an extrernal sdcard on the panel
panel.external_sd.spi_channel 0 # set spi channel the sdcard is on
panel.external_sd.spi_cs_pin 0.16 # set spi chip select for the sdcard
panel.external_sd.sdcd_pin 3.25!^ # sd detect signal (set to nc if no sdcard detect)
panel.menu_offset 0 # some panels will need 1 here
August 04, 2016 11:45AM
I have never used the universal adapter, but I don't think you are supposed to enable that many pins. You should enable just what you need. If you can't get it to work, you can try asking in the Smoothie IRC channel.
August 04, 2016 02:10PM
I already did a test with less pins. Even with the one from the smoothieware documentation:
panel.enable true # enable panel
panel.lcd universal_adapter #
panel.spi_channel 0 # spi channel to use (0- MISO 0.17, MOSI 0.18, SCK 0.15, SS 0.16)
panel.spi_cs_pin 0.16 # spi chip select
panel.busy_pin 2.11 # busy pin NOTE 1.30 on Azteeg X5

And with that it is the same, with the firmware from December it is working and with the latest one not.
August 05, 2016 05:26AM
Hey.

I believe this latest commit to edge might solve your problem : [github.com]

Cheers.
August 05, 2016 10:50AM
Yes, that solved it.

THANK YOU
April 02, 2017 10:17PM
Hello,

It's my first time here, my apologies if this is not the right place to post my problem.

I've upgraded to the Jim Morris latest version in order to try the rectangular grid leveling strategy, which worked but without good results.

My home built printer is a Prusa i3 like, with a inductive sensor zprobe, which has never worked with the available leveling strategies.

Is there a tool to analyze and edit the offsets in the rectangular.grid file? Where can I get a format description for that file?

Best regards,
Marco Haddad
April 03, 2017 09:59PM
Hi,

I just found the file format description I need in the CartGridStrategy.cpp source code.

Now I can write my own tool...

Best regards,
Marco Haddad
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login