Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Connecting external stepper drivers to Smoothieboard

Connecting external stepper drivers to Smoothieboard
June 07, 2016 10:28AM
I am using a 4A NEMA-23 motor in my printer's Y axis. That's too much current for the Smoothieboard to drive directly, so I got a cheap DSP based driver module and made a 32V power supply to drive that motor. Here's how I connected it:

Son of MegaMax 3D printer: [www.instructables.com]
Re: Connecting external stepper drivers to Smoothieboard
June 12, 2016 09:54AM
Thanks a lot for adding info to the forum like this smiling smiley

If somebody is interrested in wiring external drivers, there is additional information here : [smoothieware.org]
July 17, 2016 12:03AM
Your smoothie is running 3.3v logic the driver most likely needs 5 so you need a logic gate or set the pins to ground and connect a 5v PSU to the PUL+ DIR+ and STEP+ i had the same problem with the radds on due which is also a 3.3v logic. I solved that problem using logic level shifters hope this helps.
July 17, 2016 12:10AM
yoyobob19
Your smoothie is running 3.3v logic the driver most likely needs 5 so you need a logic gate or set the pins to ground and connect a 5v PSU to the PUL+ DIR+ and STEP+ i had the same problem with the radds on due which is also a 3.3v logic. I solved that problem using logic level shifters hope this helps.

On a Smoothieboard, you don't need to use level shifters. You just need to configure the pins as open-drain and they'll work as if they were 5V. You can see a wiring diagram and configuration in the link I posted previously.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login