Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

basic protocol for using baby-stepping?

Posted by shadowphile 
basic protocol for using baby-stepping?
January 27, 2018 06:03PM
Upon reading around it seems to be a more real-time version of G92, or least a relative version of it.
I'm interested because normally I zero the z axis with G92 after touching down on a piece of paper but lose that if it gets homed.
I've played with the baby-stepping and it's operation is obvious.
The advantage, at least in the latest version of firmware, is that baby-stepping will be retained even after homing.
Is there a simple protocol how I would use baby-stepping instead of my own Set Z to Zero macro?
thanks
Re: basic protocol for using baby-stepping?
January 28, 2018 02:53AM
You can send a G30 S1 to probe for Z=0
I use a faster G1 Z10 F6000 move before G30 because probing speed is so slow.
Re: basic protocol for using baby-stepping?
January 28, 2018 05:19AM
I'm not sure what that has to do with baby-stepping.
Here is my routine before every print job unless I'm going directly from one print to the next.
1) Get it all heated up.
2) Perform a set of G30s for the autoleveling. (at some point in the past i manually determined the tilt errrors to get the H values).
3) Go to Z1 then drop manually until just grazing a piece of paper. If I'm printing below .2 layers I then lower the head by another few moves of .01 to compensate the thickness of the paper (somewhat). Then I send G92 Z0. But when my print is done or any other time I am forced to re-home, I lose that correction. If I have to add a piece of blue-tape for example, I have to do the same because I have to run the autolevel WITHOUT the tape, then rezero to correct for the change in height (the tape is usually a smaller patch in the middle of the bed that would not cover all of the autolevel probe points).

I've tried measuring the probe/nozzle offset and using that as my auto-level correction but when I change nozzles (for example), that offset changes. I found it easier (and ultimately safer) to just manually do the fine correction to make sure the nozzle is perfect with the bed.
I thought after reading that I might use the baby-stepping to do the exact same thing but without losing that final correction if rehomed (as a post-print command, for example).

As a last thought, does the G30 S1 result survive a re-home?
thanks
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login