Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

M555: Set compatibility

Posted by JustSumGuy 
M555: Set compatibility
December 04, 2017 07:03PM
What advantage or disadvantages are there to the different Firmware compatibility choices?

P value Firmware
0 Native
1 RepRap_Firmware
2 Marlin
3 Teacup
4 Sprinter
5 Repetier

I see the RRF Configuration Tool defaults to Marlin, tho I wonder if this is in any way limiting abilities and if so what?
Re: M555: Set compatibility
December 05, 2017 03:19AM
That setting is only relevant to GCode commands received from USB or Telnet. Its main purpose is to make the responses similar to the ones Marlin provides so that programs such as Pronterface understand them.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
December 05, 2017 11:23AM
dc42
That setting is only relevant to GCode commands received from USB or Telnet. Its main purpose is to make the responses similar to the ones Marlin provides so that programs such as Pronterface understand them.

So setting it is only relevant to USB communication to an outside device like octopi or astro print, pronterface etc and as pretty much all of them recognize both marlin and RepRap fully its almost irrelevant.
I will use the setting "Native" then as it seems to have more commands to call on IF I use external USB control of some kind.

Please let me know if I have this understood right.

Thanx
December 05, 2017 12:24PM
All the commands are supported in all the modes; it's just that in Marlin compatibility mode some of the responses to commands supported by Marlin are changed to be compatible with the quirks of Marlin.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

December 05, 2017 12:35PM
ok, got it and thanx yet again smiling smiley
December 07, 2017 03:00AM
Just a field note:
I've set it to look like Marlin, but get plenty of python errors in Pronterface when communicating with RADDS. It's an older FW version ( 1.18?)
The command gets executed, but the feedback message fails.

[ERROR] Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "printrun\printcore.pyc", line 241, in _readline
  File "printrun\pronterface.pyc", line 1713, in recvcb
  File "printrun\pronterface.pyc", line 1669, in update_pos
ValueError: could not convert string to float: 
December 07, 2017 04:44AM
That happens because the M114 response from RRF has one extra space compared to the one from Marlin, and recent versions of Pronterface can't handle it. The extra space is removed in the 1.20beta series of RRF, but that version is not yet released for RADDS.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login