Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Duet fried?

Posted by DeltaCon 
Duet fried?
November 30, 2017 05:09PM
As you can see in my other thread I am expanding my RMax with an autoshutdown and thermal fuses. Now a second problem has risen. When is switch on power the board does not light up and no fans are blowing (I have 2 fans directly on the 12V circuit) I hear a ticking sound, looks like my 12V stepdown is clipping. I am measuring 20V to the 12 V stepdown, but 0V on the 12V side of the stepdown. When I disconnect the board from the 12V line, the fans blow normally, and I get 12.5V out of the stepdown. So something must have happened to the board. The only thing I did was soldering three pins on the 5V, PS_ON and GND. I am measuring max resistancebetween all of those pins, so there is no short. Also I am getting max resistance on the Vin connector. When I connect a USB charger the board boots normally and I can get into the WebGUI (I have no paneldue).

What could be wrong and how do I go about testing that?
Re: Duet fried?
November 30, 2017 06:41PM
Are you sure that you have the + and - wires to the VIN terminal block the right way round?

Try disconnecting all heaters, motors and fans from the Duet and see whether the converter still fails to run.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
Re: Duet fried?
December 01, 2017 04:36AM
Ooh, looking at the picture of the duet I posted in my other thread (about the PS_ON thing) I am not so sure I have my + and - wires correct indeed. I was so sure that I put them back the way they came out that I did not even check that, but now I see on the wiring diagram the red wire in the upper screw terminal, and the black in the lower. I am pretty sure I have them wrong then. I will have to check when I'm home. Will there be damage to the Duet?

I am pretty proud with all that I have accomplished and learned from tinkering with my printer, especially since I have no electronics background AT ALL. But these moments confront me with the noob that I really am confused smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login