Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

PS_on signal low voltage

Posted by DeltaCon 
PS_on signal low voltage
November 30, 2017 04:04PM
I am sorry to bring this topic up again. I am implementing an SSR and switch following this guide:
[doc.3dmodularsystems.com]

However I am thinking about powering through USB charger and switching the PSU on and off through the webgui.
I have an older 0.6 Duet board and soldered the needed pins to it. Powering the board through USB works fine and the GUI is up. However when I switch on the PSU in the webgui, I get 0V betweeg GND and PS_ON. When I switch the PSU off, I get 0.6V on these pins. That is not enough Volts to trigger the SSR, and ofcourse the wrong way around. What am I missing?

EDIT:
Even stranger: when I unplug the USB charger, the ~0.6V is maintained and seems to die very slowly...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/2017 04:14PM by DeltaCon.
Re: PS_on signal low voltage
November 30, 2017 04:21PM
This was setup for ATX power supplies and this is the signal they need to operate. (PS_ON#, green wire) which must be driven low to switch power supply on.

By what you have said, I would think you need a 4.7K pull-up resister.

And this is what you need

/**
* Select your power supply here. Use 0 if you haven't connected the PS_ON_PIN
* 0 = No Power Switch
* 1 = ATX
* 2 = X-Box 360 203Watts (the blue wire connected to PS_ON and the red wire to VCC)
* :{ 0:'No power switch', 1:'ATX', 2:'X-Box 360' }
*/

#define POWER_SUPPLY 2

#if (POWER_SUPPLY == 1) // 1 = ATX
#define PS_ON_AWAKE LOW
#define PS_ON_ASLEEP HIGH
#elif (POWER_SUPPLY == 2) // 2 = X-Box 360 203W
#define PS_ON_AWAKE HIGH
#define PS_ON_ASLEEP LOW
#endif

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/2017 06:38PM by Roberts_Clif.
November 30, 2017 06:35PM
PS_ON is an open-drain output. So you need to connect the SSR positive control terminal to either +3.3 or +5V from the expansion connector, and the negative control terminal to the PS_ON pin.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/2017 06:37PM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
December 01, 2017 02:38AM
Roberts_Clif
This was setup for ATX power supplies and this is the signal they need to operate. (PS_ON#, green wire) which must be driven low to switch power supply on.

By what you have said, I would think you need a 4.7K pull-up resister.

And this is what you need

/**
* Select your power supply here. Use 0 if you haven't connected the PS_ON_PIN
* 0 = No Power Switch
* 1 = ATX
* 2 = X-Box 360 203Watts (the blue wire connected to PS_ON and the red wire to VCC)
* :{ 0:'No power switch', 1:'ATX', 2:'X-Box 360' }
*/

#define POWER_SUPPLY 2

#if (POWER_SUPPLY == 1) // 1 = ATX
#define PS_ON_AWAKE LOW
#define PS_ON_ASLEEP HIGH
#elif (POWER_SUPPLY == 2) // 2 = X-Box 360 203W
#define PS_ON_AWAKE HIGH
#define PS_ON_ASLEEP LOW
#endif

That's funny,
you know you are in the Duet section, don't you? winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2017 02:39AM by o_lampe.
December 01, 2017 04:20AM
o_lampe
That's funny,
you know you are in the Duet section, don't you? winking smiley
Yeah, as we say in Dutch: I could not make any chocolat from it ;-)
December 01, 2017 04:25AM
dc42
PS_ON is an open-drain output. So you need to connect the SSR positive control terminal to either +3.3 or +5V from the expansion connector, and the negative control terminal to the PS_ON pin.

Thanks David,
Are you suggesting this?

December 01, 2017 05:00AM
DeltaCon
dc42

Thanks David,
Are you suggesting this?
[attachment 100080 5VtoSSR.jpg]

Yes.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
December 04, 2017 01:08PM
Swell! It is working now!
And feeding off USB power it gives me the option to switch on through WebGUI also. I implemented the "pushbutton-on WebGUI-off" method, as well as the "USB powered Duet WebGUI Switch on and off" method. I would like a small mains2USB power adapter to built in also, so I have only one powercord and one main-switch to the device. That will take some googling, unless someone here knows about it. ;-)

I've ordered some thermofuses also, to add to the PS_ON chain as extra safety measure. So it will take a few days to fit everthing in and close base again ;-)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login