Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Octopi with duet 0.8.5 usb

Posted by Napalm1432 
Octopi with duet 0.8.5 usb
July 16, 2017 11:22AM
Hi there,

So i was planning to use a raspberry pi to run the web interface of the duet with a crosscable, failing at that, i thought it was easier setting up octopi and running that over usb (i'm aware of the consequences of slower write speeds).
So i set up a raspi with octopi, using the adfruit 3.5 inch touchscreen, everything set up, until, i connect it to the duet board.
When trying to connect from raspberry pi i get the error Unhandled communication error, please set the serial port manually.
I checked my cabling and everything shoul be fine.
No one thing i haven't done yet, is having a power supply hooked up to the duet board, so there's just a usb cable attached between the duet and raspi, but i assume this should still connect right?
I hope you can be of help!
Re: Octopi with duet 0.8.5 usb
July 16, 2017 01:30PM
The raspberry pi will only provide 600mA of power on the USB ports unless you make some changes in the /boot/config.txt file. I don't know if 600mA is enough power to bring up the Duet 0.8.5 over USB as I didn't see that in any of the specifications.
July 17, 2017 01:57AM
AFAIK Octopi only acts as a USB-to-(W)LAN converter. So you'd still need a (WiFi) router and another PC to see the OctoPi screen.
It would be easier to put the router directly between Raspi and Duet and use DWC.
July 17, 2017 03:19PM
I'm running OctoPrint with my Duet 0.6 board, and have been for a while.

I send commands over a USB connection to the Duet, just like you outlined, and there's no need for a router and another PC if you've got the touchscreen up and running.

It's probably an issue with your connection settings within OctoPrint.

For what it's worth, I've attached screengrabs of settings that work for me.

July 18, 2017 09:01AM
i attached a power supply to see if that might have been the issue, but i still get the same error.
I also put in the same settings as Maso, however, i cannot select a serial port other than auto, so still no connection

EDIT:
I do notice, that the 5v light on the duet board doesn't light up untill usb is plugged in, even though the Vin on the duet is on, do i need to set a jumper next to the power input?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/18/2017 09:07AM by Napalm1432.
July 18, 2017 11:11AM
Check out this picture:

There's an "External 5V Enable" and a "Board 5V Enable" header on there.
I'm pretty sure you have to choose one. (EDIT: Try the "Board 5V Enable". I think the "External 5V Enable" is for when you have an ATX supply attached.)

Also, on the Pi, try typing
ls /dev
without the Duet plugged in, and then with it plugged in, and see if something new has shown up. That's your USB device. If you don't see a change, OctoPrint will never find it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/18/2017 11:17AM by maso.
July 18, 2017 03:28PM
I checked and there was actually already a jumper on the board 5v enable, i tried your suggestion to do the command ls /dev with and without duet attached.
Sadly, it doesn't seem to want to show up in the list...
The question now ofcourse is, how can i fix that part
July 18, 2017 04:28PM
I'd try plugging the USB into a windows machine and see what happens. You should be able to communicate with it via Pronterface or Repetier-Host if everything's configured right.

Also try changing USB cables -- maybe it's bad?
July 19, 2017 03:21AM
alright, so part of the problem was indeed the usb cable, when first pluggin into my pc it did nothing, now with a new cable it at least recognizes a device.
But, that only solves the cable issue so far, when trying to connect it to my pc, i have to install the drivers, however, the only unknown devices are these: [prntscr.com]
And when trying to update the drivers for them, they always fail. So, my next issue is, still connecting to the board (i've repetier host installed to test with)
July 19, 2017 08:50AM
Does the Duet show up under "Ports (COM and LPT)"?

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
July 19, 2017 11:03AM
Also, now that you've discovered a bad USB cable, why not try the Raspberry Pi again?
July 19, 2017 12:26PM
i might be stupid right now, but shouldn't COM ports be listed under the device manager?
Here's a screenshot of what shows up in device manager:
[prntscr.com]

When i knew the usb cable was good, i first tested it on the raspberry in the hope that it worked, but no luck, problem persists

EDIT:
When attaching an arduino it does show up though:
[prntscr.com]

EDIT: When i plug in the duet in my pc, it does not show com ports, but, it does try installing drivers and then it fails ofcourse, but it wants to install drivers for this:
[prntscr.com]
I already tried to install drivers for those manually, but no luck

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/19/2017 12:35PM by Napalm1432.
July 19, 2017 01:46PM
Have you gone through the steps listed under "First Connection" here?
July 19, 2017 02:39PM
yup, but i i'm also not able to go to the step of selecting a com port in those instructions
July 19, 2017 04:07PM
You appear to have a USB controller with no device driver installed. Right click that device in Device Manager, select Properties, then Details, then Hardware IDs and let us know what it displays.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/19/2017 04:07PM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

July 19, 2017 04:37PM
The usb controller shows this: [prntscr.com]
July 19, 2017 04:56PM
So this site [pcidatabase.com] says it is a standard Intel USB host controller and the driver download is at [downloadcenter.intel.com].

July 19, 2017 05:35PM
Okay, so the issue of the usb host controller is solved, however, still no com ports showing up
July 19, 2017 06:07PM
Perhaps it's time to press the firmware Erase button on the Duet, followed by the Reset button, and see whether the Bossa port shows up.

First check what LEDs are lit on the Duet. You should have the red 5V LED, the red 5V USB LEDs and the green 3.3V LED.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/19/2017 06:09PM by dc42.

July 20, 2017 03:46AM
After resetting the firmware a new device does show up under serial bus controllers as an unknown device:
[prntscr.com]

(Yes the correct lights were lit)

EDIT:
I also checked the SAM-BA USB Notice, which says to update that device with the driver in the samba directory, but when trying that, it says it already has the newest drivers installed (which i kind of weird for an unknown device but okay)

EDIT EDIT:
Okay, so i uninstalled the driver of that unknown device, re-plugged the duet, and now it shows up as COM9 (Craftbot 3d Printer firmware Loader)
Now ofcourse craftbot is not correct, BUT i am able to make a connection using repetier host

EDIT: Installed the duet drivers on the com port

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/20/2017 04:11AM by Napalm1432.
July 20, 2017 04:11AM
The correct Windows driver for the Duet is at [github.com].

July 20, 2017 04:17AM
Com port no shows up as Bossa Program Port

even though repetier host SEEMS to connect, when i try from pronterface, it fails to connect however.
It seems repetier host says it's connected when trying to send the M105 command.

Just to check i also followed the instructions using the arduino IDE
The com port shows up, and i can select the right board, when going to serial monitor, made sure baudrate was 115200 and newline was set.
When i send the M105 command i get no response. Also, the message: RepRapFirmware is up and running. does not show up (even when opening serial monitor immediatly after pressing reset)
I' guessing the firmware isn't running?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/20/2017 07:43AM by Napalm1432.
July 20, 2017 10:36AM
If you mean that the COM port now shows up as Bossa port, that means there is no firmware on the board. Download Bossa 1.8 from shumatech.com and use it to install RepRapFirmware.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/20/2017 10:37AM by dc42.

July 20, 2017 11:03AM
YES YES that fixed it all grinning smiley
just a note for myself if i ever run into the same problem, when uploading the firmware with Bossa, do erase all and boot to flash

I've tested it on pc and on the octopi both are now able to connect, tested sending the M105 command and got the right response!

It doesn't seem to initialize the sd card in octopi right now though, i'm looking for a fix now
Running an M20 from the octopi terminal does list the gcode files (only 1, the testprint.gcode)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/20/2017 11:23AM by Napalm1432.
July 20, 2017 04:04PM
Napalm1432
YES YES that fixed it all grinning smiley
just a note for myself if i ever run into the same problem, when uploading the firmware with Bossa, do erase all and boot to flash

Best check Lock too.

July 20, 2017 04:17PM
Napalm1432
It doesn't seem to initialize the sd card in octopi right now though, i'm looking for a fix now
Running an M20 from the octopi terminal does list the gcode files (only 1, the testprint.gcode)

I haven't ever put any effort into using OctoPrint to access g-codes from the Duet's SD card.

In my experience with RAMPS and other boards, it takes a long time to send g-code files over the serial USB connection, and OctoPrint has a harder time managing everything (timelapse videos, g-code preview, estimated time remaining, etc.).

I find it much cleaner to store the g-codes on OctoPrint itself and print from there.
July 20, 2017 04:50PM
The Duet is optimised for uploading files to the built-in SD card and printing them from there. File uploading over USB will be much slower than over the network. Also built-in functions such as pause/resume and resume after power failure only work when you are printing from SD card.

If you do want to print and/or upload files over USB, make sure that the sender does not wait for an OK response after sending each line of gcode. Many USB host programs have this as an option. Last time I looked, Octoprint didn't, but someone did a patch for it.

July 20, 2017 06:05PM
dc42
If you do want to print and/or upload files over USB, make sure that the sender does not wait for an OK response after sending each line of gcode. Many USB host programs have this as an option. Last time I looked, Octoprint didn't, but someone did a patch for it.

I think i have seen some kind of option that looks like that, i will check after the weekend!
September 04, 2017 01:55PM
I need to make my Ormerod portable. And that means Of need a other way of connecting to it rather than LAN. Since my new Dell Venue Tablet does not have Lan.

Now I need it to be WiFi but I cannot carry around a big old modem to create a. Access Point.
So I have been looking into using my raspberry Pi to create a wireless access point and run Octoprint as well.

It Is don't know a thing about networks.

My question is, is wat In want to do, possible?
September 04, 2017 03:21PM
Why not buy a TPLink WR710 mini router? Or whatever updated model has replaced it now.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login