Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Please help: Ormerod 1 its been a while!! What do I need.

Posted by gregstah 
Please help: Ormerod 1 its been a while!! What do I need.
June 12, 2017 10:57AM
Hi! I have an Ormerod 1 that's been out of action for a looong time now. I'm trying to revive it and really don't know where to start. I have on old web interface loaded which doesn't load properly. I presume it was calling files from a cloud somewhere that are now gone. Any advice on where to start as a kickstarter would be so appreciated. I think really the bottom line is what firmware should I be putting on it, I'm sure it's in need of an update :-)

Greg.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/2017 10:57AM by gregstah.
Re: Please help: Ormerod 1 its been a while!! What do I need.
June 13, 2017 02:11PM
I recommend firmware 1.18.1 which you can find here [github.com]. Keep your existing config.g file but adjust it as needed. Depending on how old your existing firmware is, you may need to make the following changes:

- Add line M574 X0 Y2 Z0 to your config.g file (if it doesn't have a M574 line already)
- Delete or rename the /www folder on your SD card, create a new /ww folder, and extract the contents of DuetWebControl.zip into it
- Check whether your X axis still moves in the correct direction. If it doesn't, either revers the X motor connector, or add M569 P0 S0 to config.g
- Check which pins your proximity sensor is connected to, and compare that with the latest Ormerod 1 documentation
- Auto tune the bed and extruder heaters
- You can pick up the new homeall.g file to doi simultaneous X and Y homing

HTH David

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
June 22, 2017 06:56AM
Hi David

I am completely new to 3D printing however I have been extensively busy in a CNC millig build using grbl.

I bought Greg's machine and has since started getting it online again.

I flashed it with version 0.78 and couldn't for the life of me get it to auto home the z-axis. I put in all the parametrs after reading the values in the proximity sensor.
I then flashed it with version 1.09 and voila! it worked!!
But the confounding thing keeps telling me there is no tool selected!

Then I struggled to get the web interface online. On Tuesday I managed to get that going.
So I finally did a first print. 5mm above the bed and still no tool selected.

Yesterday evening I came across this thread and loaded the new software as you proposed.

And now...
The y axis is inverted. I changes as per your suggestion the wires, and when that did not work I changed it back and changed it in the code.
But it keeps thinking the limit switch is on the other side of the y axis. and now the auto level for z-axis isn't working yet again...

I have sofar spent more than 40 hours trying to get this machine to print.
I would like to get it working and I enjoy the challenge. But I have never struggled this badly with grbl.

It seems as if with every new version of firmware the complete geometry of the machine is being reworked and changed completely.
I have some great ideas for improving this machine and would like to get it printing so I can start to improve on itself.

Best regards

Michiel

ps.
I attach my config.g file from the working v1.09
and also the v1.18.1 if you could help me I would greatly appreciate it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2017 08:09AM by Karoo Klong.
Attachments:
open | download - config-v1.09.g (2.4 KB)
open | download - config-v1.18.1.g (2.5 KB)
June 22, 2017 10:18AM
I suggest you go to [configurator.reprapfirmware.org] and use it to generate new config.g and homing files for firmware 1.18.1 or 1.18.2.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

June 22, 2017 10:36AM
Thank you David

I will go there and report back.

by the way, is there one thread where all the top mods for the Ormerod is listed, It can be a really wonderfull workhose once all the axis have been stiffened up.

My first mod will be to remove the MDF and replace with a 3mm aluminium plate.
Secondly I am looking at moving the extruder feed to E drive to the top of the Z-axis struded metal part. I don't see it taking significantly more flex from that position than from the X-arm. That weight of the motor has seriously distorted the arm.
Thirdly I am looking into installing a shaft and bushing from an onld scanner or printer in order to have a parallel travel slide for the x-axis. But for that I will have to design some new printable parts.

Regards
Michiel

Ps.

On the settings for that custom firmware;

Board: v0.6 - That I have
Firmware: 1.17 or newer - Yes
Marlin - Yes?
Cartesian - Yes?
Printer Geometry: Oh boy... How do I check/interpret/understand this? I cant find the info on Google.

For now I will have to Trial and error this.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2017 10:47AM by Karoo Klong.
June 23, 2017 04:18AM
Regarding mods to the Ormerod 1, I recommend highly the aluminium bed plate from DaveK, and if you can afford it, the aluminium arm too (then you won't need to move your extruder drive). See [ddmetalproducts.co.uk].

Regarding configtool, selecting Ormerod 1 as the printer type will set everything to the correct values. So you shouldn't need to change anything except perhaps the network IP address if you have a preferred address.

June 29, 2017 09:06AM
Thank you Dave.

I will keep trying.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login