Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Extruder motor going both forward and backwards on extrude

Posted by ElmoC 
Extruder motor going both forward and backwards on extrude
June 02, 2017 10:56PM
This is a weird one. I purchased a Nimble extruder for my delta and have been getting everything setup. I was started to configure the firmware for it and have run into a bit of a problem. When I request filament to be extruded, the motor will run the correct way. But when I do the same request again, it runs backwards, retracting the filament. I have never seen this problem before so I'm not sure where to look. I have reset everything back to the original values except for the steps/mm and motor current. Has anyone seen this type of problem before?

EDIT: I am making the extrude requests via the Panel Due (v1.16). Running 1.18/1.15a

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/02/2017 11:00PM by ElmoC.
Re: Extruder motor going both forward and backwards on extrude
June 03, 2017 11:22AM
I have seen this myself, but it's been a fat finger on the PanelDue display. Because the extrude and retract buttons are fairly big, sometimes I press the area and it will trigger the retract button instead of the extrude button. This usually happens when I'm pressing the area that's pretty close to both buttons. I've chalked it up to the touch portion not being super accurate and the proximity of the two buttons.
June 03, 2017 11:43AM
I think the display has changed some since you used it since they are no where close to each other now.

Been playing around trying to get it fixed and it looks like it might be a wiring issue. Not sure how that would cause it though. I plug a different motor in and it seems to be working fine.
June 04, 2017 07:46AM
If one of the phases is open circuit, either in the cable or the motor itself, then the motor is liable to turn in either direction.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
June 04, 2017 08:39AM
dc42
If one of the phases is open circuit, either in the cable or the motor itself, then the motor is liable to turn in either direction.

I replaced the motor with a different one and it is working fine now. Will have to test the first motor out and try to find what was causing the issue. Thanks.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login