Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Different motor temperatures in serial connection

Posted by drmaestro 
Different motor temperatures in serial connection
April 23, 2017 05:09AM
Hi,

I have observed an interesting phenomena and would like to know if it is normal. I have 2 Z steppers and they use their own connectors on Duet, so they are wired in series (the default configuration). Both of the steppers are identical.However during a print, one is considerably colder than the other. How is that possible? Shouldn't they be both at the same temperature?

Thanks
Re: Different motor temperatures in serial connection
April 23, 2017 03:34PM
Yes they should be at the same temperature if they are identical motors, unless they have very different cooling e.g. one bolted to a metal surface and the other not. If you have a multimeter, you could measure the resistance of the windings of both to see if there is any difference.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
April 24, 2017 06:23AM
dc42
Yes they should be at the same temperature if they are identical motors, unless they have very different cooling e.g. one bolted to a metal surface and the other not. If you have a multimeter, you could measure the resistance of the windings of both to see if there is any difference.

It is probably a very basic question but how do you measure the resistance of the windings? I know that there are 2 pairs in each (so 4 connectors) and I can use a LED to find which ones are paired. Should I measure the resistance at each pair?
April 25, 2017 03:03AM
You can just as easily use the multimeter to find the pairs, because you will have a resistance of a few ohms between two wires that are a pair. However, as your motors are moving properly, we already know that the 2 wires connected to one end of each motor connector on the Duet are a pair, and the 2 wires connected to the other end are the other pair.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login