Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Edit heightmap.csv? [Bug?]

Posted by o_lampe 
Edit heightmap.csv? [Bug?]
April 22, 2017 03:05AM
I'm using an inductive proximity sensor for mesh bed levelling on a 6mm aluminum tooling plate.
It seems, I have an irregularity inside my tooling plate ( trapped air? ) that messes up the heightmap. ( No matter how slow I probe the bed.. )
I'm still using RADDS so I can't view the heightmap file with DWC.
Is there a way to manually edit the file? What would I have to look for in an editor? It looks like an alien message to me sad smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/2017 12:51PM by o_lampe.
Re: Edit heightmap.csv?
April 22, 2017 12:39PM
I might found a bug in heightmap file generation:

This is the 1st map opened in openOffice

...and the resulting "watermark" of the 1st layer.
red circles= overextrusion/ nozzle to low
green circle= underextrusion/nozzle to high

This is another map, created with slower speed and less dive-height. The data looks somehow scrambled...

...but the result is much better.

Question is: should I try to sort the data ( remove empty fields ) or leave it as is?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/2017 12:49PM by o_lampe.
Re: Edit heightmap.csv? [Bug?]
April 22, 2017 03:14PM
Looks like the import of the.csv file into your spreadsheet has gone wrong. You need to tell it to use comma as a separate and ignore spaces. It's probably easier to edit the .csv file using a text editor such as Notepad++.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
April 23, 2017 03:36AM
A funny thing happened last night:
I disabled bed leveling and printed the same file as before and it turned out the same way as the second time.
mean error -0.00 deviation -0.02

What would that mean to the bed leveling algorhythm? Are the values so small, that they get ignored?

I'll do two things today ( beside watching Snooker winking smiley )

1) update firmware to 1.18.1 ( sorry, I forgot to mention.... )
2) start another G29 and print the part again. This time, I put an indicator on the z-ballscrews to have a better view of the levelling. ( Or the absence of it? )
April 23, 2017 07:44AM
Ok, upgrading to 1.18.1 was a story of it's own, but it's working now.

I made another G29 run and got mean error 0.003 and deviation -0.002.
I started the next print and I could see the ballscrew turn a few degrees back and forth, but still I have an huge area where the 1st layer prints to high.

Is it save to reduce the values in heightmap or can I overrule certain areas with single G30 probe points?
April 23, 2017 03:40PM
Yes it's safe to edit the values in heightmap.csv. As you don't have a web interface and can't edit it directly, I suggest you use Notepad++ or another text editor. The values in each row go from low to high X left to right, and the rows are in order of increasing Y.

However, with a deviation that low it sounds to me that the bed is very flat anyway. You may be better off levelling it mechanically and just doing one G30 probe at the centre to set an accurate Z=0 height before printing.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login