Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Heat Bed and Z Probe

Posted by joestefano 
Heat Bed and Z Probe
January 06, 2017 02:57PM
Dave, With this heat bed do I have a shot at getting your Z probe to work for at least 5 points. I have tried in the past but gave up. Very inconsistent results. The glass is 6mm thick. I hope the pictures will give you enough info. My hope is that the newest firmware is different.
Attachments:
open | download - IMG_0741.JPG (54.6 KB)
open | download - IMG_0742.JPG (25.4 KB)
open | download - IMG_0743.JPG (27.1 KB)
Re: Heat Bed and Z Probe
January 06, 2017 03:02PM
One thing you might have better luck with is if you painted the back side of the glass black. I know your PCB looks black, but in one of your pictures you can see the traces and some lines between the traces. The IR sensor does trigger differently on those types of areas as I've seen that myself with my MK2b before I painted the PEI black on one side. 0.5 to 1 mm difference in X or Y was giving large differences in trigger height until I gave the sensor a solid flat black surface to work against which the only explanation I could determine was if it saw a trace, PCB or the edge of a PCB trace.
January 06, 2017 03:12PM
I did paint the back of the glass and the PCB with high heat paint. It looked good until I touched it and realized the paint didn't stick to the glass.
January 06, 2017 04:45PM
I have a sheet of black card under the glass on the beds of both my printers - seems to work OK.
January 06, 2017 05:07PM
I think that I would have to black out the glass somehow before the PCB is installed. I would settle for the probe just serving as a Z stop!
January 06, 2017 05:28PM
joestefano
I did paint the back of the glass and the PCB with high heat paint. It looked good until I touched it and realized the paint didn't stick to the glass.

Did you cure the paint in an oven? High temperature paint needs that. Also I always clean the surface to be painted with isopropanol first. However, I haven't tried painting glass yet, only aluminium and PEI.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
January 06, 2017 07:45PM
Yes, I cleaned the glass with alcohol before painting it. Again in order to not see the PCB tracing wires I would have to paint the glass before applying the PCB and if I cant get the paint to stick then the PCB wont stick. I guess I will at least try to get it to work as a Z stop with a black piece of paper under the glass at the home location.
Do I still need the Bed.g file if all I do is probe 1 location?
January 07, 2017 03:23AM
The bed.g file in invoked when you run G32. If you just probe 1 location with G30 either to home Z or to set the Z=0 height prior to printing, you don't need a bed.g file.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login