Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New Duet3D wiki pages: Mesh bed compensation and Delta calibration

Posted by dc42 
New Duet3D wiki pages: Mesh bed compensation and Delta calibration
January 02, 2017 05:38PM
I have created these pages in the Tuning & Troubleshooting section of the Duet3D wiki at [duet3d.com]. Please let me know of any typos or other errors. I may add some images eventually!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2017 05:39PM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
Re: New Duet3D wiki pages: Mesh bed compensation and Delta calibration
January 03, 2017 08:24AM
David,

I had a look through the page on the wiki - and got confused! It's not clear to me what gets run as a one-off command, and which should be written in one or more of the /SYS config files. I guess I'm looking for more of a hand-holding guide...

...and it's probably me, rather than your instructions! smiling smiley

Cheers,
David

UPDATE: I've had a go, and it's not quite as obscure as I thought. It would be useful to clarify typical use of the probing - every time, or only occasionally (calling up the stored map most times). I'm thinking that if I have to do a lot of prints then a macro that runs G29 S0 could be used at the start, then G29 S1 in the bed.g file to use the stored map through the session. Does that sound reasonable?

Though I think I would like to see what a typical bed.g file looks like when using these commands.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/03/2017 09:14AM by David J.
January 03, 2017 09:34AM
Talking about the bed.g file - here's mine:

; Auto calibration routine

M561 						; clear any existing bed transform
;G28	 						; home
G30 P0 X20 Y20 Z-99999 		; front left
G30 P1 X20 Y180 Z-99999 	; back left
G30 P2 X180 Y180 Z-99999 	; back right
G30 P3 X180 Y20 Z-99999 	; front right
G30 P4 X100 Y100 Z-99999 S0 ; centre, and calibrate
G1 X10 Y10 Z20				; go to the front left side, raise & await next move

January 03, 2017 02:39PM
David J
I'm thinking that if I have to do a lot of prints then a macro that runs G29 S0 could be used at the start, then G29 S1 in the bed.g file to use the stored map through the session. Does that sound reasonable?

Yes, that sounds very reasonable. You could set up a macro that heats to operating temperature and then runs G29 S0 to probe and store the height map. Then in your slicer start gcode, include G29 S1.

Of course if your printer is stable enough, you could choose to just load the height map, and only re-run G29 S0 again after maintenance or transportation of the printer.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/03/2017 02:39PM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

January 04, 2017 06:34AM
dc42
Yes, that sounds very reasonable. You could set up a macro that heats to operating temperature and then runs G29 S0 to probe and store the height map. Then in your slicer start gcode, include G29 S1.

Just one more question (maybe 2): Do I still need to run G32 in the startup gcode if I'm using mesh bed compensation, or is that replaced by the G29 process?
January 04, 2017 05:11PM
David J
dc42

Just one more question (maybe 2): Do I still need to run G32 in the startup gcode if I'm using mesh bed compensation, or is that replaced by the G29 process?

On a Cartesian or CoreXY printer, G32 and G29 are alternative methods of setting up bed compensation. So use one or the other (or neither). On a delta, G32 does auto calibration and G29 does bed compensation, so they are complementary.

January 05, 2017 06:08AM
Thanks.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login