Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Cannot Connect Duet

Posted by mg0353 
Cannot Connect Duet
May 19, 2016 01:43PM

So I'm having some connectivity issues with my duet. I previously have been able to connect and operate the printer but I now cannot connect via pronterface or via ethernet cable. I can however still flash firmware to the chip which leads me to think I haven't fried it. The chip does get hot to touch when in use.

A bit of background:

I'm trying to getting multi-extrusion working on my Ormerod and following instructions from dc42 (https://miscsolutions.wordpress.com/2014/07/27/converting-the-reprappro-ormerod-to-dual-colour/#more-320) and also other threads from the forum as I'm using different versions of the Duet and Duex4. I had real trouble getting correct temp readings out of the second extruder and height from the IR probe but managed to get correct readings after splitting the IR sensor wires (red and blue in photos) and adding the green wire from the Duet to the Duex. Everything else is wired as in the instructions on the reprappro website. The duet is v0.6 and duex v0.2a

With this duet I did previously have some intermittent connectivity issues but they self-recitifed.

My questions are:
- Have I fried the board?
- If not what could be causing the problem and what could I check?
- If I have is it something in my wiring that's caused the problem

I basically don't want to connect up another duet and have the same issue repeat

Thanks
Re: Cannot Connect Duet
May 19, 2016 01:57PM
Some suggestions:

1. Check the size of the firmware file you are flashing to the Duet. It should be around 250Kbytes. A common mistake is to download the HTML file describing the binary instead of the binary itself, because github makes this very easy to do.

2. If running Windows, use Device Manager to expand the COM ports, to see whether a new COM port appears when you connect the Duet via USB. Or perhaps an "unknown device" will appear.

3. If no devices appear in Device Manager, disconnect everything from the Duet, power it from the USB cable only, and try again.

The microcontroller on the Duet may run warm, but should not be hot. OTOH if you can flash firmware, that suggests the processor is OK.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
May 23, 2016 09:45AM
Thanks very much for the suggestions.

Checked the file size, it's definitely the firmware.

It comes up as an unknown device in the device manager not not as a bossac device under the COM port. What does this suggest?
May 23, 2016 11:10AM
Sounds like you haven't install the device driver needed by firmware version 1.12 and later. Download the two driver files from [github.com] in Raw mode to a folder on your PC, then install them for the unknown device. Alternatively, revert to version 1.10+4, which uses the Arduino Due driver.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2016 11:11AM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
May 25, 2016 08:13AM
Thanks, I updated the drivers and that let me connect. That problem solved I've now moved on to another..

I had the printer up and running - everything working correctly until I tried auto-bed levelling. The Board is wired as shown in the pictures attached to my first post.

First time I tried it, the printer cut out as it was moving to the third test point. Printer stopped moving, duet lost connection and a high pitched whining came from the board. I switched it off at the mains. Restarted and tried again... Second time the same thing happened (movement stopped, connection lost) but no high pitched whining. I've since been unable to connect via USB or via ethernet. The duet now comes up as an unknown device on the computer even though the drivers were installed previously. When pinging the board via command prompt the response is 'destination host unreachable'

Any ideas as to what might have happened and what might've caused this?

Thanks in advance
May 26, 2016 08:29AM
The stopping and whining happened to me once, suddenly during a print, with a normally working Duet. A reboot seemed to fix it. No idea what happened.

mg0353
Thanks, I updated the drivers and that let me connect. That problem solved I've now moved on to another..

I had the printer up and running - everything working correctly until I tried auto-bed levelling. The Board is wired as shown in the pictures attached to my first post.

First time I tried it, the printer cut out as it was moving to the third test point. Printer stopped moving, duet lost connection and a high pitched whining came from the board. I switched it off at the mains. Restarted and tried again... Second time the same thing happened (movement stopped, connection lost) but no high pitched whining. I've since been unable to connect via USB or via ethernet. The duet now comes up as an unknown device on the computer even though the drivers were installed previously. When pinging the board via command prompt the response is 'destination host unreachable'

Any ideas as to what might have happened and what might've caused this?

Thanks in advance
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login