Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Max distance from PanelDue to Duet 0.8.5

Posted by aussiephil 
Max distance from PanelDue to Duet 0.8.5
May 09, 2016 02:17AM
In the middle of running all the wiring for the large delta and I can't find any info on the allowed distance between the two boards.

I'd like to have the Duet at the bottom with PSU and the steppers and have the PanelDue mounted at the top or on the side.

Doing this I would need up to 8 feet or 2.4M of cable. Is this possible?

Is it just serial data on the line? I'd suck it and see but my Duet board is still waiting sad smiley

Thanks Phil
Re: Max distance from PanelDue to Duet 0.8.5
May 09, 2016 02:38AM
Yes, you can use 2.4m of cable, potentially a lot longer. Two points:

1. Choose cable thick enough that the resistance per conductor is no more than 0.1 ohms over the length of the cable.

2. If necessary, reduce the baud rate. But I think 57600 baud will still be OK at 2.4m

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
May 09, 2016 04:18AM
Ah Thanks David,

That has simplified cabling runs
point 1 no worries, we run SPI data for christmas lights well over 6M on Cat5 and 20AWG at much higher rates so should have no trouble finding some cable.
Already up sizing wiring to deal with voltage drops for the longer runs for everything.

Point 2 - surprised your only at 57600 actually smiling smiley

Actually that leads to another question if you check back in...... the mini height sensor will have close on 4M of cable to get back to the board, is it sensitive to noise or again should i just watch the total loop resistance of the cable run?

Cheers
May 09, 2016 04:59AM
aussiephil
Ah Thanks David,

That has simplified cabling runs
point 1 no worries, we run SPI data for christmas lights well over 6M on Cat5 and 20AWG at much higher rates so should have no trouble finding some cable.
Already up sizing wiring to deal with voltage drops for the longer runs for everything.

Point 2 - surprised your only at 57600 actually smiling smiley

Actually that leads to another question if you check back in...... the mini height sensor will have close on 4M of cable to get back to the board, is it sensitive to noise or again should i just watch the total loop resistance of the cable run?

Cheers

I chose 57600 baud so that longer cable runs would not be problematic. The amount of data transferred is relatively small, so there is no need for a higher baud rate.

RepRapFirmware includes a noise filter when you use an analog Z probe, so noise should not be an issue, although if the cable run goes anywhere near the stepper motor cables then I suggest screened cable. The cable resistance for the sensor is not critical because it only draws 10mA @ 3.3V.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2016 04:59AM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
May 09, 2016 09:27AM
Besides that your sensor boards only transmit three or four signals so a small deviation should not matter.

Slicer: Simplify3D 4.0; sometimes CraftWare 1.14 or Cura 2.7
Delta with Duet-WiFi, FW: 1.20.1RC2; mini-sensor board by dc42 for auto-leveling
Ormerod common modifications: Mini-sensor board by dc42, aluminum X-arm, 0.4 mm nozzle E3D like, 2nd fan, Z stepper nut M5 x 15, Herringbone gears, Z-axis bearing at top, spring loaded extruder with pneumatic fitting, Y belt axis tensioner
Ormerod 2: FW: 1.19-dc42 on Duet-WiFi. own build, modifications: GT2-belts, silicone heat-bed, different motors and so on. Printed parts: bed support, (PSU holder) and Y-feet.
Ormerod 1: FW: 1.15c-dc42 on 1k Duet-Board. Modifications: Aluminium bed-support, (nearly) all parts reprinted in PLA/ ABS, and so on.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login