Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Problems after Firmware update on duet 0.85

Posted by MatissB 
Problems after Firmware update on duet 0.85
April 27, 2016 03:34AM
Hi, everyone!

I just updated my Duet .85 to the latest firmware by DC42 (RepRapFirmware-1.11-dc42.bin) and I'm getting wierd issues that I didn't see before.
First of all, my config.g file doesn't seem to boot correctly anymore, please see this video.

I tried replacing it with a fresh copy of config.g from sys-MiniKossel. It boots up fine if I keep the kossel's config.g intact. See the image here.
However, as you see, I'm getting wrong thermistor readings, since the original Kossel config.g has R1000 instead of R4700. If I change the the value to R4700, it doesn't boot up anymore, and acts the same as in the video that I posted.

I would greatly appreciate any feedback regards this, since I'm stuck with this issue for a couple of days now.
Thanks,
Matiss
Re: Problems after Firmware update on duet 0.85
April 27, 2016 05:49AM
Two suggestions:

1. Try a different SD card. I can't see any reason why just changing that one line in config.g would cause the difference between booting up and not, except that the file will have moved to a different part of the flash memory on the SD card.

2. Try installing firmware 1.10+4-dc42 instead.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
April 27, 2016 07:39AM
Hi, thank you for the reply.

I just tried out a new SD card - the issue remained.
I also installed 1.10+4-dc42 and nothing changed, so I'm starting to think it might be a hardware issue.

I tried replacing the R1000 one by one to R4700 in the config.g, and found out that that the printer doesn't boot only if I change the R value for hotend.
I can still modify it for the heated bed, than the printer starts up as usual, and also shows normal bed temperature. Please take a look at the attached image.

This is how the thermistor settings look at the moment:
; Thermistors
;*** If you have a Duet board stickered "4.7K", change R1000 to R4700 to the following M305 commands
M305 P0 T100000 B3950 R4700 H30 L0	; Put your own H and/or L values here to set the bed thermistor ADC correction
M305 P1 T100000 B3974 R1000 H30 L0	; Put your own H and/or L values here to set the first nozzle thermistor ADC correction
M305 P2 T100000 B3974 R1000 H30 L0	; Put your own H and/or L values here to set the second nozzle thermistor ADC correction
M570 S180							; Hot end may be a little slow to heat up so allow it 180 seconds

Do you think it might be a hardware related issue?
Thanks, Matiss
April 27, 2016 09:23AM
Does it boot up if you disconnect the hot end thermistor from the Duet?

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

April 27, 2016 10:24AM
Just checked - it doesn't boot properly even with disconnected thermistor. It flashes exactly like in the video I shared in previous post, starts up, but doesn't show correct temperatures. Any idea what might be causing this?
Thanks, Matiss
April 27, 2016 11:56AM
I am puzzled. What firmware version were you using previously? Have you tried reverting to that one?

April 29, 2016 02:43AM
Hi!

I installed back the firmware that I had previously (1.09k-dc42) but that didn't solve my problem. The board still wouldn't boot properly.

Than I understood that this is probably about smth else, not the firmware. I started unplugging all the components one by one from Duet and found out that it boots normally, if I disconnect the hotend heater from the board.
I connected a new heater and it booted fine again. Not sure why was this happening and why did this problem start after the firmware upgrade, but replacing the heater cartridge solved my problem.

Also, I updated the firmware back to the latest version after changing the heater, and it is now running without any problems.
Thank you for your help, as allways smiling smiley

Matiss
April 29, 2016 09:01AM
I'm glad you got it working. Heater cartridges occasionally develop a short between the element and the case. Perhaps that's what happened to yours.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login