Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Ideas for MOB features

Posted by bgkdavis 
Ideas for MOB features
April 17, 2016 02:00AM
Was wondering if anyone would like to work with me on some recovery for the duet, I've developed these features for industrial CNC machines and think they would be useful on 3D printers.

These features are often referred to as MOB or Man Over-Board features, in reference to the procedures ships employ when one of the crew or passengers falls overboard and the hip has to circle round to collect them.

1) restart at height 1
when restarting you specify the height you want to commence printing at and the printer will scan through the code until it finds where that layer starts, just finding the first line though is not enough, the code has to scan and implement any modal conditions such as bed temp, nozzle temp feedrates, plus it needs to execute the XY position before the z height move to make sure the nozzle is in the right position before going to layer height.

2) restart at height 2
Exactly the same as 1 but the start z height is taken from the current z height (ie you can use the nozzle to 'probe' the top of the job), this feature needs to do an incremental z move upwards before applying the XY position move

3) restart without home 1
sometimes it can be tough to move a printer whilst its in action, and you cant re home and recal whilst there is a part on the bed or there is a problem that requires a power cycle, restart without home writes all the calibration and current position parameters to non volatile memory so you can turn off the power and recall the data on restart, care needs to be used with this application becasue if you accidentally move any of the axes when moving or cycling the power your memory values are invalid.

4) restart without home 2
IF your printer can home whilst a part is on the bed AND the home switches are repeatable enough then just save the calibration data to non volatile storage.

5) restart without home 3
maybe tricky if this takes too much cycle time, but constantly save position data to non volitile storage so in case of unplanned power interruption the printer can access the data that was automatically stores.

6) restart without home 4
by adding a small UPS to a printer you can have the printer detect a power loss and park itself so that recovery is easy on return of power.

RepRapPro Mendel 3 Tricolour
RepRapPro Fisher
-Carbon Arms
-Easy adjust Carriage+effector
-axis stiffness mods
HE3D -600 delta
-Duet 0.8.5
-PanelDue
-DC42 Height probe
-RobotDigg metal components
Simplyfy3D
RS Design Spark CAD
Re: Ideas for MOB features
April 17, 2016 04:25AM
I am planning to implement print job save and resume on the Duet NG. The Duet build of RRF will probably get those parts of it that don't need hardware support.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2016 04:26AM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login