Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New Duet Web Control 1.11 and RepRapFirmware 1.09z-ch

Posted by chrishamm 
Re: New Duet Web Control 1.11 and RepRapFirmware 1.09z-ch
March 22, 2016 01:56PM
First of all chrishamm thanks a lot for ur work and especially the web control. I have installed it today the way you told ( uploading the zip file) and i am still running some connection problems. This time it is even worst as there are some cases that i cant connect through one of my w7 pc.

I am running firefox 44.0 and opera . opera is more stable but on the mozilla i cant connect at all. Until now ( 1.10 ) i had a lot of disconnects. On my laptop running same os but 45.0.1 firefox things are better ( at least for now) .

I am dealing from the begging random disconnections ( begging saying 1.07 ) but i feel that this is not related to the duet web interface code . If i try to connect from one pc without using any other through the day the problem dissapears.

Anyway congratulation for ur work ..!

Forgot to say 1.09x dc42 on one printer and previous than that to the other.

and one more detail . if i am connected to both of the printers through the same pc and browser ( two tabs at the same time) then again i am getting disconnects .

Delta Printer
Duet 0.8.5 firmware 1.19
March 22, 2016 02:05PM
All, I think a good practice is to flush your browser cache after you do the update to DWC 1.11. I also think doing a power cycle on the Duet after updating to new firmware is a good idea.

I have been helping to test iap.bin, ch's firmware and DWC for the last several months to help isolate and eradicate the dropped connection issues on two machines. One of my machines has been connected for well over 9 days with the "y" and "z" releases and DWC 1.11. The second started showing dropped connections every hour or so. The two machines were identical except one is a Duet .6 and the other .8.5 (it was the .6 with the issues). Early yesterday I power cycled the problematic machine and flushed the browser cache and it has maintained it's connection for over 28 hours now. Prior to this, it had disconnected several dozen times in the same time period.

I've been testing with Chrome and Firefox on WIndows 10 and Mac OSX and Safari on OSX and iPhone. No connection issues on any of them - touch wood!

[sublimelayers.blogspot.com]

A strategy for Successful (and Great) Prints [forum.seemecnc.com]
Strategies for Resolving Print Artifacts [forum.seemecnc.com]

[www.EclecticAngler.com]
March 22, 2016 11:30PM
I upgraded to 1.09z-ch/1.11 tonight and that was a fantastic experience. Loved being able to just drag and drop the files.

So, now that I upgraded, I was trying to access the Duet via Telnet and FTP. I was never able to get Telnet to connect. I was able to get on via FTP using the default password (reprap), but that was about it. I have set a different password in config.g, but that didn't change what FTP was wanting. Also, when I tried a 'dir' command, it responded that I had to use PASV first. I tried the 'passive' command, but that was reported as an invalid command. I am using the Windows 7 FTP command to try and access it. With telnet, neither the Windows or PUTTY could connect.

What am I doing wrong?

EDIT: I got the password problem fixed. Forgot the P part before the password.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2016 11:38PM by ElmoC.
March 23, 2016 04:24AM
M122
Diagnostics
Used output buffers: 4 of 16 (4 max)
Platform Diagnostics:
Memory usage:
Program static ram used: 42036
Dynamic ram used: 45684
Recycled dynamic ram: 2392
Current stack ram used: 1648
Maximum stack ram used: 2504
Never used ram: 5688
Last reset 00:01:00 ago, cause: software
Last software reset code & available RAM: 0x0003, 3608
Spinning module during software reset: GCodes
Error status: 0
Bed probe heights: 0.000 0.000 0.000 0.000 0.000 0.000 0.000 0.000 0.000 0.000 0.000 0.000 0.000 0.000 0.000 0.000
Free file entries: 16
Longest block write time: 0.0ms
Slowest main loop (seconds): 0.002628; fastest: 0.000128
Move Diagnostics:
MaxReps: 0, StepErrors: 0
Heat Diagnostics:
GCodes Diagnostics:
Move available? no
Internal code queue is empty.
Stack pointer: 0 of 5
Network Diagnostics:
Free connections: 15 of 16
Free transactions: 23 of 24
Webserver Diagnostics:
HTTP sessions: 1 of 8
FTP connections: 0, state 0
Telnet connections: 0

Now I'll try with Linux.... probably best

Dario

Ormerod 187
Firmware Electronics: Duet 0.6
Firmware Version:1.18.1 (2017-04-07)
Web Interface Version:1.15a
Slic3r 1.2.9a and Simplify3D 4.0.0
[www.dropbox.com]
March 23, 2016 05:42AM
Chrishamm. I just used your web interface to update my firmware to a version that dc42 has kindly done for me to test firmware retraction. That is soooo much better than faffing about pressing reset buttons etc. Even for an old f*rt like me. Now I can put the cover back on my Duet! Just one teeny weeny thing, the legend above the upload button still says "File upload for /sys and /www Directories" so for a while I wasn't sure how to upload the firmware as it doesn't reside in either of those 2 directories. Maybe when you do the next update, you could change the label to include "firmware" which would make it idiot proof (as needed by idiots like me).
March 24, 2016 05:47AM
Gaou
First of all chrishamm thanks a lot for ur work and especially the web control. I have installed it today the way you told ( uploading the zip file) and i am still running some connection problems. This time it is even worst as there are some cases that i cant connect through one of my w7 pc.

I guess doing what mhackney suggested won't hurt, but since your connectivity problems occur on a Windows machine, I strongly advise you to reset your TCP/IP stack. I've heard of several cases where this actually helped.

ElmoC
So, now that I upgraded, I was trying to access the Duet via Telnet and FTP. I was never able to get Telnet to connect. I was able to get on via FTP using the default password (reprap), but that was about it. I have set a different password in config.g, but that didn't change what FTP was wanting. Also, when I tried a 'dir' command, it responded that I had to use PASV first. I tried the 'passive' command, but that was reported as an invalid command. I am using the Windows 7 FTP command to try and access it. With telnet, neither the Windows or PUTTY could connect.

What am I doing wrong?

Hmm, Telnet should work anyway. I have no problems connecting to my machine with either PuTTY or Linux's default telnet utility. As for FTP, I suggest you install FileZilla and configure it as outlined here: [reprappro.com]

Dario, I'm afraid there is no useful information in there - it looks like "Emergency STOP" was pressed on your web interface (or M997/M999 was sent), so I cannot spot an error in the firmware. If it rebooted due to an error, it would either show "watchdog" as the last reset reason or the reset code would look different.

deckingman, I could change the labels a bit, but then I'd need a few new translations for the web interface. That's why I was a bit reluctant to change the captions. Btw, if anyone is willing to expand the current translations, I'd be happy to accept pull requests on my GitHub repo smiling smiley
March 24, 2016 07:12AM
chrishamm

Dario, I'm afraid there is no useful information in there - it looks like "Emergency STOP" was pressed on your web interface (or M997/M999 was sent), so I cannot spot an error in the firmware. If it rebooted due to an error, it would either show "watchdog" as the last reset reason or the reset code would look different.

After 48 hours without problems It happened by editing the config file and pressing "Apply setting"!
Is an old 0.6 board

Strange... no problems at all with the previous version (1.10).... ( and my friend with a recent board full of Ajax error)

However, I am happy with the new interface.

Thanks a lot
Dario

Ormerod 187
[www.dropbox.com]
March 24, 2016 07:45AM
Ormerod187
After 48 hours without problems It happened by editing the config file and pressing "Apply setting"!
Is an old 0.6 board

Hmm, if the printer is idle, the web interface will ask you to restart the controller once a new config file has been uploaded. If you click on "Yes", then the web interface will actually send M999 to the firmware, which will induce a firmware reset. I'll check the JS code once more, just in case...

I'm glad everything else is working well on your setup though.
March 24, 2016 09:11AM
chrishamm
Ormerod187
Is an old 0.6 board

Hmm, if the printer is idle, the web interface will ask you to restart the controller once a new config file has been uploaded. If you click on "Yes", then the web interface will actually send M999 to the firmware, which will induce a firmware reset. I'll check the JS code once more, just in case...

I'm glad everything else is working well on your setup though.

I have been seeing a lot of AJAX errors after apply changes to the config file also. I have had to power cycle the board to get it working again. And then it doesn't always go back on line. I have seen in my router's log where it asks for, and gets, an IP address, but then never responds on the network.
March 24, 2016 09:34AM
chrishamm
Hmm, Telnet should work anyway. I have no problems connecting to my machine with either PuTTY or Linux's default telnet utility. As for FTP, I suggest you install FileZilla and configure it as outlined here: [reprappro.com]

I had installed FileZilla the other day and was able to connect. However, I could not send or receive any files. I went back and set the max concurrent connections to 1 (BTW, the latest version is not the same as the one used in that link. I found it under Edit/Settings/Transfers). Still could not send or receive files. Here is the log from FileZilla for the session. I noticed the timeout because of inactivity and have disabled it. Will try it again. Last time I powered cycle the board though, it took me 15 minutes of rebooting it until it finally would go back online. The router log was showing the request for the IP address, but the board would never acknowledge it got the offer.

Status: Connection established, waiting for welcome message...
Command: PWD
Response: 257 "/"
Command: TYPE I
Response: 200 Switching to Binary mode.
Command: PASV
Response: 227 Entering Passive Mode (192,168,1,166,245,94)
Command: LIST
Error: Connection timed out after 20 seconds of inactivity
Error: Failed to retrieve directory listing
Response: 421 Only one client can be connected at a time.
Error: Could not connect to server
Status: Delaying connection for 5 seconds due to previously failed connection attempt...
Status: Delaying connection for 5 seconds due to previously failed connection attempt...

I have included a M122 output after one of the failed transfers.

>>> M122
SENDING:M122
Diagnostics
Used output buffers: 2 of 16 (5 max)
Platform Diagnostics:
Memory usage:
Program static ram used: 42036
Dynamic ram used: 45684
Recycled dynamic ram: 2392
Current stack ram used: 1648
Maximum stack ram used: 2632
Never used ram: 5560
Last reset 00:01:30 ago, cause: power up
Last software reset code & available RAM: 0x0003, 4896
Spinning module during software reset: GCodes
Error status: 0
[ERROR] Error status: 0

Bed probe heights: 0.000 0.000 0.000 0.000 0.000 0.000 0.000 0.000 0.000 0.000 0.000 0.000 0.000 0.000 0.000 0.000
Free file entries: 16
Longest block write time: 0.0ms
Slowest main loop (seconds): 0.010582; fastest: 0.000038
Move Diagnostics:
MaxReps: 0, StepErrors: 0
Heat Diagnostics:
Heater 1: I-accumulator = 0.0
GCodes Diagnostics:
Move available? no
Internal code queue is empty.
Stack pointer: 0 of 5
Network Diagnostics:
Free connections: 15 of 16
Free transactions: 24 of 24
Webserver Diagnostics:
HTTP sessions: 1 of 8
FTP connections: 1, state 2
Telnet connections: 0
March 24, 2016 09:39AM
Follow up on FileZilla. After changing all concurrent settings to 1 and disabling the timeout, I still cannot transfer files...

March 24, 2016 09:51AM
I was able to connect via Putty/Telnet by switching to passive mode. Sent some commands and the printer responded. So that is working.
March 24, 2016 10:26AM
FileZilla has a bad habit of opening a second FTP connection if you don't set up the server via the server manager. I cannot transfer files from or to my Duet either if I attempt to use the quick-connect functionality, but it works well if I go to "server manager", set up the Duet as a dedicate server, and then connect to it. In the server manager you can limit the number of concurrent connections too.
PRZ
March 24, 2016 10:32AM
Christian, you indicated in a post that the DWC configuration is stored in local storage.
It means you have to make a configuration for each browser/device you are using for printer control.
Also, you loose configuration if local storage is cancelled
I am using Firefox, where you could separately remove cookies and local storage.
I cancel cookies at the end of each session for privacy reasons, but local storage is supposedly NOT cancelled (I don't know if it is possible to check that). However, I lost DWC configuration at each new browser session.
So, I modified the file model.js to have my configuration permanent. This also have the advantage that the configuration does not depend from the point of access.

The problem is that this shall be redone at each DWC issue.
Might it be possible to store the configuration in a file on the SD card instead of the local storage, this file being independant from model.js, and not cancelled while updating ?

Also, as you have now implemented M143 (I was quite interested by that, as I can run fairly hot and I experienced a few safety triggers) , you may define the temperature graph scale based upon the temperature defined by M143 ?

And a last point, RepRapFirmware is beginning to be implemented on other boards than the Duet, so a more generic name for Duet Web Control may be pertinent ? And it may be workable to use this web interface on other firmware either.

Pierre
March 24, 2016 05:12PM
@PRZ, I run 3 duets from a single instance of the browser (Firefox, Chrome and Safari all tested) with no problems. They do not share list items - if I add something to one, it stays unique to that one.It is true that when you flush the browser cache, you loose these list items. I've been leaning more on macros since they persist on the Duet CF card.

In addition to the list items, the appearance and behavior and UI timing items are also lost. The Show Fan Sliders is really the only thing I wish persisted. I've modified my local DWC to do exactly that.

My two test Duets have not had a disconnect since updating to "z" and power cycling the Duet board and flushing the browser cache.

Edit: hit Post too fast, I meant to add the hack to enable the fan slider by default. The change is simple:

In model.js near the top (line 29) is a line:
showFanControl: false,			// show fan controls

Simply change that to:
showFanControl: true,			// show fan controls

And upload the file (via DWC).

Here is the file with the change already made: model.js

You can do the same trick to customize your DWC and not need to worry about the browser cache. Just remember to make the edits when a new version of DWC comes out!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2016 05:20PM by mhackney.

[www.EclecticAngler.com]
March 24, 2016 06:10PM
mhackney
@PRZ, I run 3 duets from a single instance of the browser (Firefox, Chrome and Safari all tested) with no problems. They do not share list items - if I add something to one, it stays unique to that one.It is true that when you flush the browser cache, you loose these list items. I've been leaning more on macros since they persist on the Duet CF card.

In addition to the list items, the appearance and behavior and UI timing items are also lost. The Show Fan Sliders is really the only thing I wish persisted. I've modified my local DWC to do exactly that.

I was wondering why my favourite settings would "randomly" disappear! I'm having problems with my Firefox installation and have flushed the cache a few times - I hadn't linked that action to changes in my settings... now I know... smiling smiley
PRZ
March 24, 2016 08:04PM
@mhackney , That might not have been clear, but I was not speaking about running multiple printers from one session of a browser (which I also do), but running a printer from e.g. one browser from a desktop PC for main work and file transfer, and from a smartphone browser for survey (which could be of interest if the printer is not in the same room as the desktop). In this case, anyway, it may be of interest to have different layouts for the different browsers, so my point may not be that valid.

There's something important for me also, I flush browser cache at end of EACH session and there is at least something I want permanent, this is the interface in my own language (french), which was one of the reasons why I searched to have some permanency in my configuration as this was my first setting mod at browser opening.

BTW, I completed the Duet Web Control Page with explanation how to make the configuration permanent, along some hacks.

That is here : [reprap.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2016 09:05PM by PRZ.
March 24, 2016 08:47PM
@PRZ, ah, that makes sense. I do the same thing, one of the reasons I modified the model.js file so each browser instance is consistent. Thanks for the link.

[www.EclecticAngler.com]
March 25, 2016 05:12AM
looking around...
in surface.js ormerodIP = "192.168.1.144"; It needs to be changed?

Dario

Ormerod 187
[www.dropbox.com]
March 25, 2016 08:24AM
PRZ
Christian, you indicated in a post that the DWC configuration is stored in local storage.
It means you have to make a configuration for each browser/device you are using for printer control.
Also, you loose configuration if local storage is cancelled
I am using Firefox, where you could separately remove cookies and local storage.
I cancel cookies at the end of each session for privacy reasons, but local storage is supposedly NOT cancelled (I don't know if it is possible to check that). However, I lost DWC configuration at each new browser session.
So, I modified the file model.js to have my configuration permanent. This also have the advantage that the configuration does not depend from the point of access.

Might it be possible to store the configuration in a file on the SD card instead of the local storage, this file being independant from model.js, and not cancelled while updating ?

I looked this up the other day and noticed that cookies and localStorage are bound together. If you disable cookies, Firefox will disable localStorage as well. However, you can add an exception in Firefox for DWC by changing your privacy settings to "custom" and by adding the Duet's IP/hostname to the list of allowed exceptions. That will allow you to keep the DWC settings in the future. Your request is reasonable though, so I may add an option to store the settings on the Duet's SD card to a future DWC version.

PRZ
Also, as you have now implemented M143 (I was quite interested by that, as I can run fairly hot and I experienced a few safety triggers) , you may define the temperature graph scale based upon the temperature defined by M143 ?

Thanks for this idea, I agree that makes total sense. I'll implement that in DWC 1.12.

PRZ
And a last point, RepRapFirmware is beginning to be implemented on other boards than the Duet, so a more generic name for Duet Web Control may be pertinent ? And it may be workable to use this web interface on other firmware either.

Well, that may be true, but keep in mind that DWC is an individual development for the Duet and I'm not aware of other boards that implement the same HTTP interfaces yet. I know there is RADDS, but it doesn't have ethernet and while there is another DWC fork for the ESP8266 (for Marlin, IIRC?), it required many other customisations and is based on a rather old version.

Dario, what surface.js file? I guess that's a left-over from the old web interface, because DWC doesn't use that file at all winking smiley
March 25, 2016 09:44AM
DWC, it's just a name...

Just call it "darn wicked controller" and be done with it spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

[www.EclecticAngler.com]
March 25, 2016 02:23PM
I've noticed a small problem with the latest DWC and DC42 firmware - I don't know which part is responsible - the indication of the number of layers is constantly showing 1200 in the total layers field (see attached screenshot).

The gcode was generated with Slic3r; I've run the code through a couple of different analysers and both report that the item should have 70 layers.

The gcode file is too large to attach directly; if you need to see it then I'll try to compress it.

Otherwise, everything is working as it should, and I like the firmware update facility!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2016 02:34PM by David J.
Attachments:
open | download - Screenshot at 2016-03-25 16:46:56.png (241.1 KB)
March 25, 2016 02:29PM
David J
I've noticed a small problem with the latest DWC and DC42 firmware - I don't know which part is responsible - the indication of the number of layers performed so far is constantly showing 1200 in the total layers field (see attached screenshot).

The gcode was generated with Slic3r; I've run the code through a couple of different analysers and both report that the item should have 70 layers.

The gcode file is too large to attach directly; if you need to see it then I'll try to compress it.

Otherwise, everything is working as it should, and I like the firmware update facility!

I see the same thing. Only I was using S3D for slicing and it showed 2000 layers. But I saw that on earlier versions too. I seem to recall something about this being caused by not having verbose gcode generation turned on.
March 25, 2016 02:36PM
Hmm - every other aspect of the file's info shows on the web pages... and *I think* verbose (or slic3r's equivalent) is turned on... I'll have to go and check.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2016 02:36PM by David J.
March 25, 2016 02:38PM
David J
Hmm - every other aspect of the file's info shows on the web pages... and *I think* verbose (or slic3r's equivalent) is turned on... I'll have to go and check.

I'm pretty sure I had verbose turned on with Slic3r also and still had the problem. I'm pretty sure there was a discussion about it a while back. Just don't remember all the details.
March 25, 2016 02:44PM
The reason I flagged this up was because I didn't see this problem before I updated.
March 27, 2016 09:16PM
chrishamm
PRZ

Your request is reasonable though, so I may add an option to store the settings on the Duet's SD card to a future DWC version.

I second this request to have settings stored on the SD card. I have a few systems running around the house, and like to be able to 'check in' on the printer from multiple locations. Each one now has to have its' browser setup to match the others for things like custom bed and heater temps.

Also, could you describe how to use the webcamURL feature? I haven't been able to get mine to work, and would like to see some examples of it and how to configure it.

Rick
March 27, 2016 10:24PM
is it possible to add the possibility of driving 2 stepper motors in sync for example to use 2 motors on Z axis
I have requirements to run 2 x axis and 2 z axis motors. I do not want to run them in series due to the amperage required
I currently have an azteg X3 pro but i want to replace it with my duet
I would appreciate any help
March 28, 2016 03:46AM
percar
is it possible to add the possibility of driving 2 stepper motors in sync for example to use 2 motors on Z axis
I have requirements to run 2 x axis and 2 z axis motors. I do not want to run them in series due to the amperage required
I currently have an azteg X3 pro but i want to replace it with my duet
I would appreciate any help

Running 2 stepper motors in series does not increase the current (amperage) requirement. It increases the voltage requirement, but there is usually plenty of voltage to spare for the Z axis. Running 2 motors in parallel is what increases the current requirement.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login