Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Help needed with Duet firmware and 3 extruder retraction.

Posted by deckingman 
Re: Help needed with Duet firmware and 3 extruder retraction.
April 16, 2016 06:57AM
I did chagne it back to relative, but when I started to print it went crazy printing and stripped out the filament. Thus, I forgot I changed it back to absolute. Not sure why with relative it went crazy?
April 16, 2016 11:05AM
I am not sure if this is the case here, but if I would pause and than abort the print and start a new print immediately afterwords, my duet would also go crazy with the moves with no filament extrusion. Checking the GCode consol revealed the fact that I was trying to print with no tool selected.
If one to perform a reset or an emergency stop after canceling the print - al works fine.
Since I have found this particularity, I am always resetting the board after I have to cancel he print... Perhaps something similar happened to you, and it has nothing to do with relative extruder moves?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2016 11:06AM by Teilchen.
April 16, 2016 12:02PM
I checked the gcode file you posted and compared it with one of mine. At the start you have M82; Set extruder to absolute. I have M83 ; use relative distances for extruder.

After your layer 75 change there is a command in the file just after G1 Z15.2 which is G1 F6600 E3464.2575 so I'm guessing that it tried to extrude 3,464 mm of filament at a speed of 6,600 mm/minute which explains why the extruder screamed for around 30 seconds. I'm also guessing it was a retraction command as there is no x or y movement associated with it, but as I only use relative I'm only used to seeing negative numbers for retraction. But that brings me to another point. I'm not seeing any "G10 ; retract" commands in your file which means that you are not using firmware retraction. So,

1. I suggest you set your extruder to relative (M83) as DC42 has said.

2. Go back to the beginning of this thread and read why you need to use firmware retraction with the diamond hot end.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2016 12:04PM by deckingman.
April 16, 2016 03:29PM
Thank you!

I have the M207 S5.0 F2400 in my config.g file. As well added the G10 since as you mentioned..... it makes since for all extruders to retract and minimize stringing.

When I use M83 I have high extrusion rate that strip the filament. I have calibrated my extruders and my steps for my extruder which is a Nema 17 (5.18:1 geared) is 461.35 steps/mm.

I will try a different slicer?????

I agree when i saw the "E3464.2575" I also thought that was it then I realized that this is the total filament used.

Here is my print file with start codes........... Am I wrong?? Not sure why the extruder goes crazy with relative. I'm thinking of adding the m83 code before the M567 and then back to M82?????

; automatic settings before start_gcode
G21 ; set units to millimeters
M107 ; fan off
; settings from start_gcode
M104 S228
M190 S100
M109 S228

G10 P0 S228 R228
G10 P1 S228 R228
G10 P2 S228 R228
G10 P3 S228 R228
G10 P4 S228 R228
G28
T0; set the active extruder to 0
; automatic settings after start_gcode
G90 ; use absolute coordinates
G92 E0 ; reset the expected extruder position
M83 ; use relative distance for extrusion
M82 : use absolute distance for extrusion
; Layer count: 225

; LAYER:0
M107
G0 F18000 X1.066 Y-23.724 Z0.2
; TYPEconfused smileyKIRT
G1 Z0.2
G1 F6600 E0
G1 F720 X2.14 Y-23.652 E0.04475
G1 X3.232 Y-23.527 E0.09045

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2016 04:04PM by 3D-Print.
April 16, 2016 04:05PM
I placed an M82 command at the front of the print g-file. then prior to the M567 command put and M83 like below. it still did the same pause but only for 5 seconds, but the stepper still screamed.

My firmware is 1.09z-ch (2016-03-20)

Dan

G0 X-0.008 Y19.4
G0 X0 Y19.75
G0 X0 Y19.75 Z0.6

M83
M567 P0 E0.0:1.0:0.0 ;######################
M82

; LAYER:2
M106 S153
G0 X0 Y19.75
G0 X0 Y19.25
; TYPE:WALL-INNER
G1 F2400 X-0.857 Y19.23 E218.3136
April 16, 2016 04:30PM
If your Duet came from RepRapPro, it's a 0.6 board. See [blog.think3dprint3d.com] for a list of differences.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
April 16, 2016 04:32PM
3D-Print
I placed an M82 command at the front of the print g-file. then prior to the M567 command put and M83 like below. it still did the same pause but only for 5 seconds, but the stepper still screamed.

My firmware is 1.09z-ch (2016-03-20)

Dan

G0 X-0.008 Y19.4
G0 X0 Y19.75
G0 X0 Y19.75 Z0.6

M83
M567 P0 E0.0:1.0:0.0 ;######################
M82

; LAYER:2
M106 S153
G0 X0 Y19.75
G0 X0 Y19.25
; TYPE:WALL-INNER
G1 F2400 X-0.857 Y19.23 E218.3136

I'm not sure how else to put this.

Stop using M82!

Do not use absolute extruder setting!

Set your slicer to use relative E distances.

If you don't tell your slicer to use relative it'll most likely use absolute. Make sure M83 is at the start of your print gcode. If your slicer is set to use absolute (M82) then you'll get big values like the E218.3136 that is in the code snippet you posted. If you then change to relative by inserting M83, it'll try and extrude 218mm of filament.

Change you slicer setting to use relative E distance or extruder setting, however it is worded. Then slice your object again and look at the resultant gcode. The E numbers should all be small values throughout the file, not just at the beginning.

Do not try to print something that was sliced using absolute extruder settings with your printer set to use relative. I think that is why you saw crazy things happening. Your printer was expecting small relative extruder values but you were feeding it large absolute values. (Well at least that's my take on it but then I'm a 60 something carpenter so by no means an expert).
April 16, 2016 04:41PM
dc42
If your Duet came from RepRapPro, it's a 0.6 board. See [blog.think3dprint3d.com] for a list of differences.

Thanks. I got an expansion board from RepRapPro when I upgraded to a Tricolour. I'm guessing that must be the Duex4 that is mentioned in the blog? RepRapPro just called it an expansion board. Is your mini IR probe the same one that RepRap Pro used and which I got with the kit?
April 16, 2016 04:47PM
Both Cura and Matter Control slicer does the same thing and the behavior with relative and absolute is the same.

Is there something in my config.g?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2016 04:47PM by 3D-Print.
Attachments:
open | download - config.g4-16-2016 copy.rtf (8 KB)
April 16, 2016 04:52PM
deckingman
Change you slicer setting to use relative E distance or extruder setting, however it is worded. Then slice your object again and look at the resultant gcode. The E numbers should all be small values throughout the file, not just at the beginning.

Do not try to print something that was sliced using absolute extruder settings with your printer set to use relative. I think that is why you saw crazy things happening. Your printer was expecting small relative extruder values but you were feeding it large absolute values. (Well at least that's my take on it but then I'm a 60 something carpenter so by no means an expert).

That helps understand how absolute slicing and relative slicing makes a difference. I expect you are right with this.

more to come.
April 16, 2016 05:28PM
deckingman
dc42

Thanks. I got an expansion board from RepRapPro when I upgraded to a Tricolour. I'm guessing that must be the Duex4 that is mentioned in the blog? RepRapPro just called it an expansion board. Is your mini IR probe the same one that RepRap Pro used and which I got with the kit?

Your expansion board is probably be the Duet Shield. It support two additional extruders and hot ends, and sits on top of the Duet. The DueX4 is a different board, is supports 4 additional extruders and hot ends, and doesn't sit on top of the Duet.

My IR sensor uses two IR beams instead of just the one used in the RRP sensor. This is to make the trigger height much less sensitive to the bed surface. It doesn't need white tapes, is much less sensitive to ambient IR, and can be used anywhere on the bed.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

April 16, 2016 05:48PM
You are correct..... when I finally sliced the STL in relative, it a works...... It does make sense why all the issues..... The tool change is also is seamless without any issues.

Thanks although this was painful to watch, I appreciate all your help and persistence........ learning continues. The over retraction and over feeding of filament doesn't occur!!!!!! Awesome stuff!!!

When I do click on the "Heater 1" link to change a tool, this still locks up the printer.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2016 07:06PM by 3D-Print.
April 17, 2016 10:35AM
3D-Print
You are correct..... when I finally sliced the STL in relative, it a works...... It does make sense why all the issues..... The tool change is also is seamless without any issues.

Thanks although this was painful to watch, I appreciate all your help and persistence........ learning continues. The over retraction and over feeding of filament doesn't occur!!!!!! Awesome stuff!!!

When I do click on the "Heater 1" link to change a tool, this still locks up the printer.

Do you see a list of tools in brackets under the Heater 1 button? When you click on the Heater 1 button, do you then get a drop down list of tools to select?
April 17, 2016 10:45AM
dc42
deckingman
dc42

Your expansion board is probably be the Duet Shield. It support two additional extruders and hot ends, and sits on top of the Duet. The DueX4 is a different board, is supports 4 additional extruders and hot ends, and doesn't sit on top of the Duet.

My IR sensor uses two IR beams instead of just the one used in the RRP sensor. This is to make the trigger height much less sensitive to the bed surface. It doesn't need white tapes, is much less sensitive to ambient IR, and can be used anywhere on the bed.

Ah. Now you come to mention it, I think RepRapPro did refer to it as a shield.

Your IR sensor sounds just the thing. I've found that I'm forever adjusting the Z homing parameter up or down 0.1 or 0.2 mm. When I home Z, it can be fine for days then suddenly the nozzle will be pressing hard on the bed or the first layer doesn't stick because it's slightly too high. I assumed it was mechanical movement but your comments make me think that it could well be the sensor. Could I graft your IR sensor on to my machine with the electronics I have ( Duet 0.6 plus shield)?
April 17, 2016 06:22PM
My IR sensor is electrically compatible with the Duet (with or without the shield fitted) and most other 3D printer electronics. You would need to work out how to mount it on your hot and and perhaps print a part to help do that.

April 17, 2016 07:15PM
deckingman
3D-Print

Do you see a list of tools in brackets under the Heater 1 button? When you click on the Heater 1 button, do you then get a drop down list of tools to select?

I do get the drop down and I can easily change Tools. However once a print starts, when I click this link the printer stops. I can send the M567 commands or T0 (Tx) commands and it works well!!
April 24, 2016 06:27PM
Does M207 S6.0 F2400 work with firmware newer than Z0.075-rc1-dc4? I installed RepRapFirmware-1.11-dc42.bin and the retraction with all three stepper is not working, only the printing stepper. Do I need to go back a version? Or look somewhere else for this behavior.

Thanks!
April 24, 2016 07:19PM
Yes it should work with 1.11. You need to enable mixing to make all 3 extruders retract (you can set the mix ratio to 1:0:0 if you want to extrude only one filament), and you need to set your slicing program to generate firmware retraction commands. S3D doesn't support this.

April 24, 2016 07:31PM
Awesome. I just found the firmware retraction check box in Slic3r. Does this mean that retraction (e.g. G1 E-6.80000 F1800.00000) command in my print will be active and on top of that retraction, there will be 6.0 mm for all three with the "M207 S6.0 F2400"
April 24, 2016 07:35PM
More specifically, will the print gcode retraction only apply to the active tool, and the M207 to all my active and mix enabled tools?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/2016 07:35PM by 3D-Print.
April 24, 2016 07:38PM
I just looked at the print g-code after setting to firmware and I can see that the G10 does not define the amount, thus to answer my own question, this should mean that the only retraction that will occur is defined by M207

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/2016 07:41PM by 3D-Print.
April 24, 2016 08:31PM
I can not find firmware retraction with MatterSlicer or with KISSlicer........
April 25, 2016 08:35PM
The file I sliced with Slic3r with settings to use firmware retraction is working beautifully. I have set the retraction to 6.8 mm.

Thanks,

Dan
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login