Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Marlin 1.1.8 and my CR10s It aint liking it!

Posted by cyborblades 
Marlin 1.1.8 and my CR10s It aint liking it!
March 13, 2018 01:15AM
Hi All I am new here and only been in the 3D printer world for 7 weeks. I am old, not a coder but I am trying to learn enough to keep myself out of trouble. And yes as you get old its much harder to follow along....sad smiley I am in a pickle and hope you guys with the know how can help me. I was having some quality issues with my prints and after trying everything I could (read books) I was at a loss. I went to forums and starting asking. I kept getting "You need to get a Micro Swiss hotend." After reading that for days I ordered it. I got the all metal one. Well it did not help it was eventually vibration issues which I corrected before the hotend even hit my door. When it got here I figured it could not hurt to install it. Now I was told I need to update the Marlin firmware. I was given a bunch of links so I picked one a guy on Youtube called the first layer. His video was how to make changes to Marlin 1.1.8 for the Cr10s printer and how to upload it. During the video he mentioned he got the info from solid works.com I followed his steps and to my surprise I was able to load the newly configured Marlin 1.1.8 for the CR10s. i was happy. it was late and I walked away. The next day I went to use it. I was shocked, when I was running a file I already printed and knew it to be good it was like my printer was a bucking bull. It was slamming and jerking and rattling. before the update it was calm smooth and actually printed very well. Now I can't use it. So I looked at the panel inputs and there is a bunch of stuff I have no idea what it is and how to set it. I was thinking it must be settings. I thought I would ask this Youtube guy what was going on. I commented on his video and he answered me. I asked him what do I need to set and if its not going to work how do I get the stock firmware on it. His answer to me I am not sure but I will check tomorrow and let you know well no wonder he never did.
So I am here begging you guys were can I get the stock firmware for my CR10s with a V2.0 mainboard with the bad cap. I decided I rather go to stock and when I learn enough to where I can make changes myself I will upload the new one.
Until I get this fixed I can't print. I did uninstall the Micro Swiss and I am now back to the stock hotend.
Thanks in advance for your help.
PS...I am a dumb as* with this stuff so if you can help please be gentile it may take me a while to understand if you talk in techie talk. winking smiley
Re: Marlin 1.1.8 and my CR10s It aint liking it!
March 13, 2018 01:41PM
Hi cyborblades,

I'm running 1.1.8 perfectly fine on my CR-10S, I suggest we rather try figure out whats not working on your end.

Could you please attach your Configuration.h and Configuration_adv.h so we can look at your configurations?
March 13, 2018 03:27PM
Great thanks for helping. Your right the only way I will learn if I try to find the issues. I thank you for your help. I have been worried because its knocking the heck out of the printer. I stopped using it because of that. Let me know what you need me to do.
Attachments:
open | download - Configuration.h (64.8 KB)
open | download - Configuration_adv.h (63.4 KB)
March 15, 2018 01:26PM
I guess my topic is not interesting. It never has any activity. Well I just uploaded the stock firmware back on the printer because I need to get it going. It works fine again. I do want to use an updated firmware to get use of the added options. I will keep watching here to see if anyone finds what is wrong with the code I had so I can fix it and get it back on.
Thanks
March 19, 2018 11:20AM
All configuration appear to be OK but I do have a few tips, did you remember to run the commands M502 and then M500 after you re-flashed your firmware?

Here are a few configurations you may change in Configuration.h:

// Stock CR-10 tuned for 70C
  #define  DEFAULT_Kp 22.57
  #define  DEFAULT_Ki 1.72
  #define  DEFAULT_Kd 73.96

// Ultimaker
  //#define  DEFAULT_Kp 22.2
  //#define  DEFAULT_Ki 1.08
  //#define  DEFAULT_Kd 114

//Stock CR-10 Bed Tuned for 70C
  #define  DEFAULT_bedKp 426.68
  #define  DEFAULT_bedKi 78.92
  #define  DEFAULT_bedKd 576.71

//120V 250W silicone heater into 4mm borosilicate (MendelMax 1.5+)
  //from FOPDT model - kp=.39 Tp=405 Tdead=66, Tc set to 79.2, aggressive factor of .15 (vs .1, 1, 10)
  //#define  DEFAULT_bedKp 10.00
  //#define  DEFAULT_bedKi .023
  //#define  DEFAULT_bedKd 305.4

#define Z_SAFE_HOMING

Lastly I would like to touch on speed configuration, as what you described might sound like having too high of acceleration, when you slice your prints do you have acceleration and jerk settings turned on? If so I suggest you turn them off in your slicer software and let the printer take care of those values.
March 19, 2018 12:07PM
Thank You for helping. Yes I ran those codes at the end. Yes I do have the jerk and accel on as they are on by default in Cura. I will turn them off but I have a question, with the stock firmware I printed the same file and it prints fine. That is with jerk and accel on in Cura. It seems that it only went nuts after I put the 1.1.8 in the printer. I will make the changes to 1.1.8 as you suggest and try it again. I understand 1.1.9 is out soon. Should I change to that when its out or just get 1.1.8 going and stick with it? Thanks
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login