Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Inductive auto level Marlin1.1.8

Posted by jaded 
Inductive auto level Marlin1.1.8
March 04, 2018 02:16PM
The goal is to achieve this
[youtu.be]

The results is after many tear downs and rebuilds, pulling hair and verifying that my build was solid to begin with I cannot get this level of performance from marlin and auto level.

I can get it close but it always requires more work than I think it needs. Using bilinear. I have not gone to ubl because it still requires me to edit the mesh.

My question too is how is the z offset (m851) used in relation to the g29 mesh?

When I set my nozzle z offset at the center of the bed and then run a g29 it starts probing at the front left and then goes through the 3x3 grid.

If my z offset is set at bed center how does the mesh take that point into account?

Is the mesh height differences based on the bed center point?

Basically, wouldn't it make sense to do a center probe (I forget the command) after setting the z offset and then using that center probe as the reference in the g29 mesh grid?
Re: Inductive auto level Marlin1.1.8
March 06, 2018 11:54PM
Inductive probes suck. But it doesn't matter.... If you use the inductive probe to auto probe a mesh, you can always correct any part of the mesh that is not 100% accurate.
March 07, 2018 12:35AM
Roxy
Inductive probes suck. But it doesn't matter.... If you use the inductive probe to auto probe a mesh, you can always correct any part of the mesh that is not 100% accurate.

After breaking down I dug into the documentation and deciphered the cryptic and vague descriptions of all the commands needed. Suffice it to say it indeed required more work than I believed it should have been.

I can edit the mesh with bilinear so that's no longer an issue.

When I acquired my inductive probe it was suggested over capacitive since I use pei sheet on the aluminum bed.

What sensor would you believe to be the one to use in this scenario?

Also, I attempted to do probe manual with bilinear but when I would get to the second probe point there's no way to adjust the nozzle as the console reports endstop hit which is the probe (my z endstop) saying stop. Without the probe or endstop the nozzle would crash. Is probe manual supposed to actually work with abl bilinear since it compiled with no errors?
March 07, 2018 01:37PM
I just implemented a piezo sensor using my hotend. After tweaking Marlin, Rep[etier, and Slic3r and adding delays it seems to be working EXTREMELY well.
I had to redesign the hotend mount for it and print it since I could not figure out how to use the one available with the piezo.
And you can't get any closer to the action.
March 07, 2018 02:23PM
@ruggb

Do you have more information you would like to share?

If I need to change sensors that's fine but I would like to get the most accurate one for my situation.

Thanks.
March 08, 2018 08:52AM
going by reports online, the piezo is about the most accurate repeatable sensor config.
I think this was the original one for 3d printers
[www.precisionpiezo.co.uk]
but it is open source and there are lots of knockoffs at aliexpress.
mine is working great now. had to tune the printer for best results.
faster Z homing, delays from XY movements, etc. but it is mostly good now.
If you can configure one for your printer, you will probably love it especially if you can make it use the nozzle as the probe.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login