Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Z axis Homing Issue

Posted by Brass-51 
Z axis Homing Issue
November 09, 2017 04:43PM
i am Reworking a Printer that was built by students at our university, im adding a probe and several other features to make it more reliable for our use in the Print Lab. i am running into an issue with the Firmware i believe. (V1.1.6 release October 10) all endstops have been configured, running m119 I have open for all endstops and when i close the switches or set the probe near the bed for it to sense all endstops come up triggered as they should. running G1 Commands all Axis move in the correct direction and X and Y home in the Correct Direction. my problem however is When i Run G28 or G28 Z0 the Z axis Lifts 10mm as it should to clear and obsticles on the bed. but then continues to move in the Positive direction. the Sensor is plugged into the Z-Min Slot on my board Signal with a ground (i am using a 6-36V sensor which is powered from the 12V into the Board and the signal is sent to Z min pin via Voltage Divider) everything checks out ok on the Mechanical side. here are some things i have worked through with no success
- Reduced Z feedrates 5mm/s max with 100 acceleration, incase Driver is being overloaded and unable to reverse direction.
-defined all used Endstop Plugs, in my case all Min are used
-Setup proper Inverting for all endstops, X and Y have been inverted while Z is not inverted (Probe gives 2.5V when open and 5V when closed)
M119 Command has been used to confirm triggered/non triggered State
- Defined Z_Min_Probe_uses_Z_Min_Endstop_Pin
- Invert Z Dir True (G1 Z+10 move axis up and G1 Z-10 Moves Axis Down) this is correct
-Z home Direction -1 (Axis is suppose to Home to Min Endstop, Setting this any different would Conflict with Z probe in Z min Pin
- for Testing Min software endstops have been turned on and off to no success
- safe homing applied and works well, probe is centered on bed.

any help would be appreciated, ive configured Firmwares for 5 Different Printers all with Different Boards and All using Varying types of probes and ive never had this issue.

ill be Adding my Config.H Sections for the Homing and Probing soon if requested
Re: Z axis Homing Issue
November 09, 2017 07:12PM
Are these set

#define Z_MIN_ENDSTOP_INVERTING false // set to true to invert the logic of the endstop.
//and
#define Z_MIN_PROBE_ENDSTOP_INVERTING false // set to same logic as "Z_MIN_ENDSTOP_INVERTING".

#define Z_MIN_PROBE_USES_Z_MIN_ENDSTOP_PIN
//and must have this line
#define FIX_MOUNTED_PROBE
November 09, 2017 09:54PM
Roberts_Clif
Are these set

#define Z_MIN_ENDSTOP_INVERTING false // set to true to invert the logic of the endstop.
//and
#define Z_MIN_PROBE_ENDSTOP_INVERTING false // set to same logic as "Z_MIN_ENDSTOP_INVERTING".

//and must have this line

I will check that when I get home, I actualy think I overlooked that, I will report back soon with findings
November 10, 2017 12:44AM
//===========================================================================
//============================== Endstop Settings ===========================

// @section homing

// Specify here all the endstop connectors that are connected to any endstop or probe.
// Almost all printers will be using one per axis. Probes will use one or more of the
// extra connectors. Leave undefined any used for non-endstop and non-probe purposes.
#define USE_XMIN_PLUG
#define USE_YMIN_PLUG
#define USE_ZMIN_PLUG
//#define USE_XMAX_PLUG
//#define USE_YMAX_PLUG
//#define USE_ZMAX_PLUG

// coarse Endstop Settings
#define ENDSTOPPULLUPS // Comment this out (using // at the start of the line) to disable the endstop pullup resistors

#if DISABLED(ENDSTOPPULLUPS)
// fine endstop settings: Individual pullups. will be ignored if ENDSTOPPULLUPS is defined
//#define ENDSTOPPULLUP_XMAX
//#define ENDSTOPPULLUP_YMAX
//#define ENDSTOPPULLUP_ZMAX
//#define ENDSTOPPULLUP_XMIN
//#define ENDSTOPPULLUP_YMIN
//#define ENDSTOPPULLUP_ZMIN
//#define ENDSTOPPULLUP_ZMIN_PROBE
#endif

// Mechanical endstop with COM to ground and NC to Signal uses "false" here (most common setup).
#define X_MIN_ENDSTOP_INVERTING true // set to true to invert the logic of the endstop.
#define Y_MIN_ENDSTOP_INVERTING true // set to true to invert the logic of the endstop.
#define X_MAX_ENDSTOP_INVERTING false // set to true to invert the logic of the endstop.
#define Y_MAX_ENDSTOP_INVERTING false // set to true to invert the logic of the endstop.
#define Z_MAX_ENDSTOP_INVERTING false // set to true to invert the logic of the endstop.
#define Z_MIN_PROBE_ENDSTOP_INVERTING false // set to true to invert the logic of the probe.

// Enable this feature if all enabled endstop pins are interrupt-capable.
// This will remove the need to poll the interrupt pins, saving many CPU cycles.
//#define ENDSTOP_INTERRUPTS_FEATURE

//============================= Z Probe Options =============================
// @section probes

//
// See [marlinfw.org]
//

/**
* Z_MIN_PROBE_USES_Z_MIN_ENDSTOP_PIN
* Enable this option for a probe connected to the Z Min endstop pin.
*/

/**
* Z_MIN_PROBE_ENDSTOP
* Enable this option for a probe connected to any pin except Z-Min.
* (By default Marlin assumes the Z-Max endstop pin.)
* To use a custom Z Probe pin, set Z_MIN_PROBE_PIN below.
* - The simplest option is to use a free endstop connector.
* - Use 5V for powered (usually inductive) sensors.
* - RAMPS 1.3/1.4 boards may use the 5V, GND, and Aux4->D32 pin:
* - For simple switches connect...
* - normally-closed switches to GND and D32.
* - normally-open switches to 5V and D32.
* WARNING: Setting the wrong pin may have unexpected and potentially
* disastrous consequences. Use with caution and do your homework.
*/
//#define Z_MIN_PROBE_ENDSTOP

/**
* Probe Type
* Allen Key Probes, Servo Probes, Z-Sled Probes, FIX_MOUNTED_PROBE, etc.
* Activate one of these to use Auto Bed Leveling below.
*/

/**
* The "Manual Probe" provides a means to do "Auto" Bed Leveling without a probe.
* Use G29 repeatedly, adjusting the Z height at each point with movement commands
* or (with LCD_BED_LEVELING) the LCD controller.
*/
//#define PROBE_MANUALLY

/**
* A Fix-Mounted Probe either doesn't deploy or needs manual deployment.
* (e.g., an inductive probe or a nozzle-based probe-switch.)
*/

/**
* Z Servo Probe, such as an endstop switch on a rotating arm.
*/
//#define Z_ENDSTOP_SERVO_NR 0 // Defaults to SERVO 0 connector.
//#define Z_SERVO_ANGLES {70,0} // Z Servo Deploy and Stow angles

/**
* The BLTouch probe uses a Hall effect sensor and emulates a servo.
*/
//#define BLTOUCH
#if ENABLED(BLTOUCH)
//#define BLTOUCH_DELAY 375 // (ms) Enable and increase if needed
#endif

/**
* Enable one or more of the following if probing seems unreliable.
* Heaters and/or fans can be disabled during probing to minimize electrical
* noise. A delay can also be added to allow noise and vibration to settle.
* These options are most useful for the BLTouch probe, but may also improve
* readings with inductive probes and piezo sensors.
*/
//#define PROBING_HEATERS_OFF // Turn heaters off when probing
//#define PROBING_FANS_OFF // Turn fans off when probing
//#define DELAY_BEFORE_PROBING 200 // (ms) To prevent vibrations from triggering piezo sensors

// A probe that is deployed and stowed with a solenoid pin (SOL1_PIN)
//#define SOLENOID_PROBE

// A sled-mounted probe like those designed by Charles Bell.
//#define Z_PROBE_SLED
//#define SLED_DOCKING_OFFSET 5 // The extra distance the X axis must travel to pickup the sled. 0 should be fine but you can push it further if you'd like.

//
// For Z_PROBE_ALLEN_KEY see the Delta example configurations.
//

/**
* Z Probe to nozzle (X,Y) offset, relative to (0, 0).
* X and Y offsets must be integers.
* In the following example the X and Y offsets are both positive:
* #define X_PROBE_OFFSET_FROM_EXTRUDER 10
* #define Y_PROBE_OFFSET_FROM_EXTRUDER 10
* +-- BACK ---+
* | |
* L | (+) P | R <-- probe (20,20)
* E | | I
* F | (-) N (+) | G <-- nozzle (10,10)
* T | | H
* | (-) | T
* | |
* O-- FRONT --+
* (0,0)
*/
#define X_PROBE_OFFSET_FROM_EXTRUDER -22 // X offset: -left +right [of the nozzle]
#define Y_PROBE_OFFSET_FROM_EXTRUDER -45 // Y offset: -front +behind [the nozzle]
#define Z_PROBE_OFFSET_FROM_EXTRUDER 0 // Z offset: -below +above [the nozzle]

// X and Y axis travel speed (mm/m) between probes
#define XY_PROBE_SPEED 6000

// Speed for the first approach when double-probing (with PROBE_DOUBLE_TOUCH)
#define Z_PROBE_SPEED_FAST HOMING_FEEDRATE_Z

// Speed for the "accurate" probe of each point
#define Z_PROBE_SPEED_SLOW (Z_PROBE_SPEED_FAST / 2)

// Use double touch for probing
//#define PROBE_DOUBLE_TOUCH

/**
* Z probes require clearance when deploying, stowing, and moving between
* probe points to avoid hitting the bed and other hardware.
* Servo-mounted probes require extra space for the arm to rotate.
* Inductive probes need space to keep from triggering early.
* Use these settings to specify the distance (mm) to raise the probe (or
* lower the bed). The values set here apply over and above any (negative)
* probe Z Offset set with Z_PROBE_OFFSET_FROM_EXTRUDER, M851, or the LCD.
* Only integer values >= 1 are valid here.
* Example: `M851 Z-5` with a CLEARANCE of 4 => 9mm from bed to nozzle.
* But: `M851 Z+1` with a CLEARANCE of 2 => 2mm from bed to nozzle.
*/
#define Z_CLEARANCE_DEPLOY_PROBE 10 // Z Clearance for Deploy/Stow
#define Z_CLEARANCE_BETWEEN_PROBES 5 // Z Clearance between probe points

// For M851 give a range for adjusting the Z probe offset
#define Z_PROBE_OFFSET_RANGE_MIN -20
#define Z_PROBE_OFFSET_RANGE_MAX 20

// Enable the M48 repeatability test to test probe accuracy
//#define Z_MIN_PROBE_REPEATABILITY_TEST

// For Inverting Stepper Enable Pins (Active Low) use 0, Non Inverting (Active High) use 1
// :{ 0:'Low', 1:'High' }
#define X_ENABLE_ON 0
#define Y_ENABLE_ON 0
#define Z_ENABLE_ON 0
#define E_ENABLE_ON 0 // For all extruders

// Disables axis stepper immediately when it's not being used.
// WARNING: When motors turn off there is a chance of losing position accuracy!
#define DISABLE_X false
#define DISABLE_Y false
#define DISABLE_Z false
// Warn on display about possibly reduced accuracy
//#define DISABLE_REDUCED_ACCURACY_WARNING

// @section extruder

#define DISABLE_E false // For all extruders
#define DISABLE_INACTIVE_EXTRUDER true // Keep only the active extruder enabled.

// @section machine

// Invert the stepper direction. Change (or reverse the motor connector) if an axis goes the wrong way.
#define INVERT_X_DIR false
#define INVERT_Y_DIR false
#define INVERT_Z_DIR true

// Enable this option for Toshiba stepper drivers
//#define CONFIG_STEPPERS_TOSHIBA

// @section extruder

// For direct drive extruder v9 set to true, for geared extruder set to false.
#define INVERT_E0_DIR false
#define INVERT_E1_DIR false
#define INVERT_E2_DIR false
#define INVERT_E3_DIR false
#define INVERT_E4_DIR false

// @section homing

//#define NO_MOTION_BEFORE_HOMING // Inhibit movement until all axes have been homed

//#define Z_HOMING_HEIGHT 4 // (in mm) Minimal z height before homing (G28) for Z clearance above the bed, clamps, ...
// Be sure you have this distance over your Z_MAX_POS in case.

// Direction of endstops when homing; 1=MAX, -1=MIN
// :[-1,1]
#define X_HOME_DIR -1
#define Y_HOME_DIR -1
#define Z_HOME_DIR -1

// @section machine

// The size of the print bed
#define X_BED_SIZE 200
#define Y_BED_SIZE 275

// Travel limits (mm) after homing, corresponding to endstop positions.
#define X_MIN_POS 0
#define Y_MIN_POS 0
#define Z_MIN_POS 0
#define X_MAX_POS X_BED_SIZE
#define Y_MAX_POS Y_BED_SIZE
#define Z_MAX_POS 200

// If enabled, axes won't move below MIN_POS in response to movement commands.
//#define MIN_SOFTWARE_ENDSTOPS
// If enabled, axes won't move above MAX_POS in response to movement commands.
#define MAX_SOFTWARE_ENDSTOPS

Here is the config file. unfortunately i had marked the probe as fixed when i first went through the marlin, at this point im wondering if it would be in my interest to roll back to a different version of marlin and try and start fresh again. possibly a strange issue with these Hictop MPX.3 Boards.
November 10, 2017 09:01AM
I am using a TL-W3MC2 using a Operating voltage range 10 to 30 VDC sensor which is powered with 5V, 1st sensor a SN04-N 6V was too bulky.
[www.ia.omron.com]

I have stopped at Marlin 1.1.5 temporally, as I had problems with Marlin 1.1.6 flashing weird, not working and almost bricking controller.

Not actually blaming Marlin 1.1.6 just made me nervous and returned to 1.1.5 as it was working best of all versions, with the features I liked and used.

Bed Leveling Bi-linear (allows saving Bed Leveling Data ( M500 or "LCD Menu" Store settings and restore using M420 S1 in startup G-Code )
Baby-stepping ( allows for quick adjustments to Z-Offset height adjustment during brim if needed )
Individual Axis Home Menu

Your setting seem to be the same as mine.

Link to my working Marlin_Blue.zip this is Marlin 1.1.5 here

Compare My Settings to Yours Configuration.h, Configuration_adv.h and Pins_RAMPS.h
November 10, 2017 10:50AM
Roberts_Clif
I am using a TL-W3MC2 using a Operating voltage range 10 to 30 VDC sensor which is powered with 5V, 1st sensor a SN04-N 6V was too bulky.
[www.ia.omron.com]

I have stopped at Marlin 1.1.5 temporally, as I had problems with Marlin 1.1.6 flashing weird, not working and almost bricking controller.

Not actually blaming Marlin 1.1.6 just made me nervous and returned to 1.1.5 as it was working best of all versions, with the features I liked and used.

Bed Leveling Bi-linear (allows saving Bed Leveling Data ( M500 or "LCD Menu" Store settings and restore using M420 S1 in startup G-Code )
Baby-stepping ( allows for quick adjustments to Z-Offset height adjustment during brim if needed )
Individual Axis Home Menu

Your setting seem to be the same as mine.

Link to my working Marlin_Blue.zip this is Marlin 1.1.5 here

Compare My Settings to Yours Configuration.h, Configuration_adv.h and Pins_RAMPS.h

I plan to rewrite marlin in a older version today, I believe I may be experiencing something similar to you I have not worked with this latest version of marlin yet. Again let me plow through the setup of a new firmware and it may just be a weird isolated issue with my particular board. These controllers are not by any means quality so it wouldn't surprise me to see strange effects like this disappear. By moving to older/different firmware.
November 10, 2017 12:26PM
When Flashing you should always Initialize settings as the old settings sometimes do not get read.
This can be done from the LCD Menu using Initialize settings followed by Save Settings or
sending M codes to Controller
M502 // Load default configuration.
M501 // Restore all settings.
M500 // Save Settings
November 10, 2017 05:39PM
Very rough Rewrite with Marlin 1.1.5, enough to get x and y axis moving and hominh correctly as well as checking Endstop Status to ensure Probe is Triggered/Open when intended. still no change oddly enough. seems settings are changing, i can shift values and they transfer over correctly to the newest upload. i am stumped right now, i guess my only other option is to test another board?
November 10, 2017 05:48PM
Endstop Pullups? im having a hard time finding info on these and exactly what that means, it may be a coding term i do not know. could these have an effect on what i am experiencing? G28 Command Homes X Y then procedes to raise Z 10mm pauses then begins raising Z again in the Positive direction isntead of Determined -1 Home Dir.

Initializing EEPROM gives no Audible beep like Saving Settings does? i have enabled EEPROM.
November 10, 2017 06:11PM
Alright! here i am looking like a fool, this whole time thinking that the Probe has been acting accordingly. after repeatedly running M119 commands it seems that the probe when trigger sticks in a State. so at first boot up it is in an open state, but then once metal is introduced it stays triggered until the probe backs off and comes in contact again. gonna run the probe on a seperate arduino and see if this is actualy happening. hopefully this means i just go to BLTouch probes. this is what i get for trying to save money and use what i have lol
November 10, 2017 06:49PM
PULL UP RESISTORS usually a 4.7 k resistor connected to VCC to pullup the signal line to VCC when not being held low by a closed end stop switch.
Digital lines have two states High or low, zero volts or ~+Vcc volts or simply stated zero or one, ('on or off').

In the Marlin firmware ENDSTOPPULLUPS is defined by default, and ENDSTOPPULLUPS for each end stop connector on the motherboard are enabled individually.
Some end stop switches built on printed circuit boards already have the pullup resistors included like the ones I use for my homemade filament run-out sensor switch.
You may have mechanical end stop switches for axis X and Y that need pull up resistors enabled and optical end stops that don’t need pull up resistors enabled.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 11/10/2017 07:08PM by Roberts_Clif.
April 07, 2018 01:45AM
Hello Geeks,

I am using Marlin 1.1.0 RC8 and I have a problem with homing my Z axis. X and Y homing works fine but when I give Home Z signal, the Z axis moves up and down in 10 mm range and when i press limit switch manually, it stops.

I have separated and twisted cables of limit switch from Z Motor cables. Still the problem persist. Please guide.

when M119 is given, it shows Z as Open initially and then triggered when i press the lever manually.

I guess this is a problem of noise but not able to find out from where it is getting generated.

can it be a problem with marlin RC8?
June 02, 2021 10:00AM
I have the same problem of Z going up when homing.
After trying all i can think of any help will much be appreciated.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login