Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Posted by Dark Alchemist 
October 27, 2017 01:36PM
I just upgraded my box from 1.1-RC3 and when I issue a G28 X, or G28 Y it moves Z up by 10 and sits there. What has changed, or what do I need to add to make it work properly, as I found this issue when I hit the home a single axis button within Pronterface?

_______
I await Skynet and my last vision will be of a RepRap self replicating the robots that is destroying the human race.
Re: 1.1.6
October 27, 2017 05:03PM
When I upgraded to Marlin 1.1.6, opened both my RC6 and the new 1.1.6 in half screen mode and went thru one line at a time until all changes were copied across.
In Configuration.h, Configuration_adv.h and pins_Ramps.h there were many new elements that I bypassed until proving that Marlin worked.
Then I saved-As under Marlin_1.1.6 after making other changes were made saved-As under Marlin_1.1.6_BB (for Baby Stepping) Marlin_1.1.6_FR (For filament run_out) ect.

Need help Upload your 3D Printer Configuration.h file will have a look to see what happened. Where did you download 1.1.6 from if not from github.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/2017 05:06PM by Roberts_Clif.
October 28, 2017 01:13AM
Some odd reason I did not get an email notification of your reply. I did do a line by line and some things I had no idea what even where so left them alone in the new 1.1.6.

Here is my configuration.h attached and hopefully you spot something because as hard as I looked I did not see it. Now I turned off bed leveling to see if that was the problem and in a temp version I turned off Z Probe (used for ABL) and the same issue so nothing changed.

_______
I await Skynet and my last vision will be of a RepRap self replicating the robots that is destroying the human race.
Attachments:
open | download - Configuration.h (62.6 KB)
October 28, 2017 09:54AM
Only error stood out "#define MAX_BED_POWER 511" this did not cause any problems though.

Here is my working Marlin 1.1.6 with your configuration.h settings, I enabled EEProm, Bed BiLinear, Baby steps and Individual Axis Homing Menu.
Look thru the Configuration.h, Configuration_adv.h and pins_Ramps.h (I believe I have no changes to this version on pins) to see if I included and you may have missed.

Marlin 1.1.6 for Alchemist Here

I used 7-Zip to compress the file in order to save space on google Drive.

Hope this helps!!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/28/2017 09:59AM by Roberts_Clif.
October 28, 2017 12:42PM
Roberts_Clif
Only error stood out "#define MAX_BED_POWER 511" this did not cause any problems though.

Here is my working Marlin 1.1.6 with your configuration.h settings, I enabled EEProm, Bed BiLinear, Baby steps and Individual Axis Homing Menu.
Look thru the Configuration.h, Configuration_adv.h and pins_Ramps.h (I believe I have no changes to this version on pins) to see if I included and you may have missed.

Marlin 1.1.6 for Alchemist Here

I used 7-Zip to compress the file in order to save space on google Drive.

Hope this helps!!
Yeah, the 511 is due to an error within Marlin where 255 isn't really the max because it does a shift by 1 which is divide by 2. An old secret and when I had a metal bed I had to go to 511 to get it to work to full temp since a metal bed is just a fullsized heatsink. I am not sure what baby steps and Individual Axis Homing Menu is and I don't get why with a new version of Marlin they break the configurations as they should pay close attention to that.

_______
October 28, 2017 03:36PM
With Marlin baby steps, I can move the nozzle Z height using u-step by u-step up/down on the fly directly from a LCD controller turn and click knob.

So let's say I start a print with a brim and notice it is a little off I can quickly move one of the axis to perfection using LCD Babystepping.
This allows me to quickly adjusting for the Z-Axis until I get that perfect adhesion height.

Individual Axis Homing Menu is the same as G28 X, G28 Y or G28 Z only from the LCD display.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/28/2017 03:37PM by Roberts_Clif.
October 28, 2017 07:48PM
Roberts_Clif
With Marlin baby steps, I can move the nozzle Z height using u-step by u-step up/down on the fly directly from a LCD controller turn and click knob.

So let's say I start a print with a brim and notice it is a little off I can quickly move one of the axis to perfection using LCD Babystepping.
This allows me to quickly adjusting for the Z-Axis until I get that perfect adhesion height.

Individual Axis Homing Menu is the same as G28 X, G28 Y or G28 Z only from the LCD display.
I think I will love baby steps but I do not use a panel I use Pronterface. I haven't had a chance to try the marlin you uploaded but will take a minute tonight to do so later.

_______
October 28, 2017 10:12PM
Roberts_Clif

I tried it and the same outcome but 1.1.x is just screwed up as I turned off the machine then realized I had left Z up by 10 due to G28 X. I go back in and do a G92 Z10 and it would not go down only up but after I had upped it the machine would go down but never down below whatever I set G92 Z to. So I did a M114 and Z said 10. I am not sure what is going on but 1.1-RC3 works whereas 1.1.6 does not.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/28/2017 10:16PM by Dark Alchemist.

_______
October 29, 2017 04:00AM
I have had problems after flashing if I did not reload firmware defaults. You can do this by simply. sending a M502 then sending M500.
Or you can send a M502 ( Factory Reset ), M501 ( Restore Settings ) and then M500 ( Save Settings ).

Not sure why but the old setting are not always cleared when flashing, not resetting can lead you to experience some unwanted side effects)

:NOTE this can only be accomplished if you enable ( EEProm )
October 29, 2017 11:53AM
Roberts_Clif
I have had problems after flashing if I did not reload firmware defaults. You can do this by simply. sending a M502 then sending M500.
Or you can send a M502 ( Factory Reset ), M501 ( Restore Settings ) and then M500 ( Save Settings ).

Not sure why but the old setting are not always cleared when flashing, not resetting can lead you to experience some unwanted side effects)

:NOTE this can only be accomplished if you enable ( EEProm )
EEProm is off by my default to prevent nonsense like that as that stung me when I first got into 3d printers and I said never again so I turned it off.

I did "you can send a M502 ( Factory Reset ), M501 ( Restore Settings ) and then M500 ( Save Settings )" and M500 said that the prom was disabled (good). I then sent the G28 X and up goes Z so nothing changed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/29/2017 12:19PM by Dark Alchemist.

_______
October 29, 2017 01:06PM
Yea the EEPRom setting only work when EEProm is enabled.
I have the EEProm enabled as I can save my bed Leveling data using M500 or on the LCD " store settings ". Only have to add " M420 S " to startup g-code - (to Enable the stored data)
Was told this only work in MESH UBL bed leveling though I have used it with Linear and Bi-Linear bed leveling.

M420: Enable/Disable Bed Leveling and/or set the Z fade height.
S[bool] Turns leveling on or off
Z[height] Sets the Z fade height (0 or none to disable)
V[bool] Verbose - Print the leveling grid

Currently only using Marlin 1.1.5 did not need any of the newer features belonging to Marlin 1.1.6. and " IF IT'S NOT BROKE DON'T FIX IT ! "
You stated that none of the Marlin 1.1.X work for you. I have put my settings in all of the 1.1.X thou have only flashed 1.1.5 to my printer.
If it was not for the Bi-Linear bed leveling working so well and being able to save the Leveling data would still be on 1.1-BF8 (bug fix 8).
Ohh!!! Almost forgot and babystepping.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/29/2017 01:08PM by Roberts_Clif.
October 29, 2017 01:33PM
Roberts_Clif
Yea the EEPRom setting only work when EEProm is enabled.
I have the EEProm enabled as I can save my bed Leveling data using M500 or on the LCD " store settings ". Only have to add " M420 S " to startup g-code - (to Enable the stored data)
Was told this only work in MESH UBL bed leveling though I have used it with Linear and Bi-Linear bed leveling.

M420: Enable/Disable Bed Leveling and/or set the Z fade height.
S[bool] Turns leveling on or off
Z[height] Sets the Z fade height (0 or none to disable)
V[bool] Verbose - Print the leveling grid

Currently only using Marlin 1.1.5 did not need any of the newer features belonging to Marlin 1.1.6. and " IF IT'S NOT BROKE DON'T FIX IT ! "
You stated that none of the Marlin 1.1.X work for you. I have put my settings in all of the 1.1.X thou have only flashed 1.1.5 to my printer.
If it was not for the Bi-Linear bed leveling working so well and being able to save the Leveling data would still be on 1.1-BF8 (bug fix 8).
Ohh!!! Almost forgot and babystepping.
I submitted an issue and they are helping me. At some later version the logic changed for the endstops so my false in my configuration.h is now a true for endstop logic and G28 works but G28 X/Y does work but it raises my Z by 10 first then homes the X/Y. What I was seeing is no homing because it thought it was at the endstop as it should. That is the difference in the logic from RC3 but that raising of Z by 10 is the oddity. I think this will get figured out as I am sure it is something minor.

Edit: I had #define Z_MIN_PROBE_USES_Z_MIN_ENDSTOP_PIN on so it was moving up by the amount #define Z_CLEARANCE_DEPLOY_PROBE 10 but it is doing that no matter what axis I am telling it apparently this is by design now to save you from tearing into your bed.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/29/2017 01:56PM by Dark Alchemist.

_______
October 29, 2017 04:36PM
OH!

They have added a safety feature that raises the Nozzle during homing, this is to prevent the nozzle from being dragged across the bed during homing.

#define Z_CLEARANCE_DEPLOY_PROBE 10 // Z Clearance for Deploy/Stow
#define Z_CLEARANCE_BETWEEN_PROBES 5 // Z Clearance between probe points

This only happens if it is below a set distance above the bed, or it does not know how close it is to the bed.
October 29, 2017 05:05PM
Roberts_Clif
OH!

They have added a safety feature that raises the Nozzle during homing, this is to prevent the nozzle from being dragged across the bed during homing.

#define Z_CLEARANCE_DEPLOY_PROBE 10 // Z Clearance for Deploy/Stow
#define Z_CLEARANCE_BETWEEN_PROBES 5 // Z Clearance between probe points

This only happens if it is below a set distance above the bed, or it does not know how close it is to the bed.
Yes, and no. That is what it is supposed to do but I was given instructions to G28 then follow it up with another G28 X/Y and Z should be left alone but bzzzzt, nope Z still moved and I reported that but no word back since I let them know the behavior I experienced.

_______
October 29, 2017 07:17PM
Marlin 1.1.5
Connected to Cura 15.04.6 - Pronterface send the Following.
G28 ; did complete home X, Y, and Z
G28 X/Y ; did Home X and Home Y
G28 X/Y/Z ; did complete Home X, Y, and Z

What method are you using to connect to your 3D Printers.
October 29, 2017 08:54PM
Roberts_Clif
Marlin 1.1.5
Connected to Cura 15.04.6 - Pronterface send the Following.
G28 ; did complete home X, Y, and Z
G28 X/Y ; did Home X and Home Y
G28 X/Y/Z ; did complete Home X, Y, and Z

What method are you using to connect to your 3D Printers.
Pronter face and I can use its buttons or go to console and do it and the outcome is the same. G28 is not saving the position of Z so it never knows where it is else it would be working as it should where Z never moves up after the first G28. I told Roxy about this but I have no idea what is happening as he never got back to me on github. It was he who suggested for me to try it as Z will not move up again after the first G28 since it will know it is high enough but it didn't follow that logic.

_______
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login