Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Continue printing after power off and power the 3D Printer on again

Posted by hadi 
Continue printing after power off and power the 3D Printer on again
October 07, 2017 10:06AM
I want to add that feature (detailed in the title) in my 3D Printer but I don't know where to write the code and how to write some parts of the code.
That is how it must work .....
When the printer is working :
1- It have to save the auto bed calibration values, the temperature and the number of the current line of the G-code in text file in the SD card with the same name of the current object.
2- When it finishes printing the text file must be deleted.
3- Every time I power the Printer ON it must search if there are text file in the SD card.
4- If there is no text file in the SD card The printer starts normally.
5- If there is a text file compare it's name with the G-code files.
6- If there is no G-code with the same name in the SD card The printer starts normally.
7- If there are a G-code with the same name ask the user if he wants to continue printing or not.
8- If YES, heat up the nozzle then raise the Z axis 6 mm, home X axis, Y axis, heat up the bed and continue from the line saved in the text file after moving the Z axis 6 mm down.
Looking forward for your help.
Regards,,
Re: Continue printing after power off and power the 3D Printer on again
October 11, 2017 05:01PM
any help ??
October 12, 2017 10:54AM
Impossible.

Without homing, you'll nerver ever have perfect knowledge of where your hotend is. Microsteps always get lost with power off, because stepper snapps to next full step.
October 12, 2017 02:54PM
How about using an uninterruptible power supply - > UPS for battery backup...

you could have it setup to auto pause when the power goes out and reduce bed temp and shut off the hot end as well to extend run time of the UPS as well......

Just a thought...
October 12, 2017 03:25PM
I described how it must work and I mention homing x and y axis, I just want to know where to write the code and how to create a text file on the SD card with the same name of the current printed object and how to delete it automatically when it finishes printing.
October 12, 2017 03:28PM
Is it possible to know that it is unplugged to move the z axis in that moment ?
October 12, 2017 03:33PM
I don't want to use UPS or extra battery.
October 12, 2017 04:10PM
hadi
I don't want to use UPS or extra battery.

You can dictate what you want the solution to be... But you may not get an answer.
October 12, 2017 08:59PM
Must be a Pointy-haired Boss type ... "Do it this way, don't care that's its impossible"

1) sd cards have a limited number of write cycles, updating it constantly with a pointer to g code location and other info is quite frankly stupid.
2) you will also be flooding the SPI with writes, halving the speed at which you can read the gcode. (Probably worse than that as writes are normally slower then reads)
3) many plastics (eg abs) will pop off the heated bed if it cools down. There is no way to Stop and restart these prints.

What you need to do is attach other hardware that is designed for lots of writes eg a static ram chip and save what you want to that.

Or you do what Prusa did with the MK3, a power supply that signals when AC is lost and has enough reserve so the controller can store the information in eeprom at that time (not constantly)

Or use a mks tft, which has UPS resume after power failures (UPS is just for TFT, so can be small. But needs a UPS, which your not keen on)
October 13, 2017 05:20AM
Thanks for all of that description, then I have to edit the power supply at first.
Do you know how to edit the it ? what shall I add to it ?
and when the controller receives the signal from the power supply where I have to write the commands on marlin?
regards,,
October 13, 2017 05:56AM
Is the relay good for that function ?
October 13, 2017 08:17AM
So I have to copy the filament run out sensor commands from (SERVO3_PIN) to (SERVO2_PIN) to sense the relay signal and write M190 S0 , M104 S0 and M18 (to save the remaining power) then eeprom the position of X and Y axis and raise the z axis 6mm.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login