Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Confused about UBL

Posted by totalitarian 
Confused about UBL
October 03, 2017 06:47PM
Hi,

I have read the excellent documentation on UBL and created mesh, done a test print and everything looks perfect!

My mesh is now loaded but this is where I get confused. Should UBL do a test probe in 3 places to verify the mesh tilt? I have added G28 to my startup script but it just homes all axis and goes on to print.

Am I missing something? It's nice having a topology of my bed but not very practical if it can't tilt this mesh if my bed gets knocked slightly.

Apologies if I have missed something....
Re: Confused about UBL
October 03, 2017 11:06PM
totalitarian
It's nice having a topology of my bed but not very practical if it can't tilt this mesh if my bed gets knocked slightly.

If your printer drops off the table and falls on the floor. It only takes 15 or 20 minutes to generate a very well tuned mesh with UBL.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/03/2017 11:06PM by Roxy.
October 04, 2017 02:13AM
Roxy
totalitarian
It's nice having a topology of my bed but not very practical if it can't tilt this mesh if my bed gets knocked slightly.

If your printer drops off the table and falls on the floor. It only takes 15 or 20 minutes to generate a very well tuned mesh with UBL.

True but a quick probe scan to check everything is as it should be would great. This way I can do a 15 x 15 mesh for accuracy and a quick 3 point before every print. Is that possible?
October 04, 2017 11:14AM
Yes. But probably a 3x3 grid would make more sense. But my guess is just the normal mesh is going to work fine.
October 04, 2017 02:31PM
I thought you only need 3 points for a plane to determine tilt?
October 04, 2017 04:14PM
Yes. But remember there is some amount of error in any sampled point. And even with 3 points spread as far as possible in each corner leaves one corner pretty far from any of the 3 points.

3-Point leveling was the very first leveling system. It definitely helped. But the grid based leveling does a better job.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login