Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Inductive Z-probe not seen by Marlin / RAMPS 1.4

Posted by HugoW 
Inductive Z-probe not seen by Marlin / RAMPS 1.4
September 10, 2017 05:18AM
Hi,

I just replaced my microswitch Z-min switch (which was just on there for testing and it works) with a "SN04-N 4mm Inductive Proximity Sensor Detection Switch NPN NO DC 10-30V" from ebay. I wired the power to 24V, put in two resistors to split the signal voltage, I have 4.7V unactivated and 0.2V when activated. So I think that part should work.

Next I commented out "#define ENDSTOPPULLUPS" and re-added them for the X and Y axis and kept the inverting setting to false:

But it just doesn't work. Marlin thinks the endstop is not activated, whether it is or not. If I set the inverting setting to true, Marlin believes the endstop is triggered regardless of whether it is or not. I have not been messing with the auto tramming settings, yet, that would be next on the list but I need this to work, first.

Please let me know what next to try, or just point out my mistake!

Cheers,

Hugo
Re: Inductive Z-probe not seen by Marlin / RAMPS 1.4
September 10, 2017 10:44AM
You did not say of not if you have a metal bed, as the proximity sensor will not work without one.

and
#define Z_MIN_ENDSTOP_INVERTING true // set to true for SN-04N False for TL-W3M.
#define Z_MIN_PROBE_ENDSTOP_INVERTING true // set to same logic as "Z_MIN_ENDSTOP_INVERTING".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2017 10:44AM by Roberts_Clif.
September 11, 2017 05:54AM
Thanks. The bed is an 8 mm. slab of tooling plate, the switch sees it and the LED on the switch reacts.

Whether I set the logic to true or false, it doesn't work. I tried both.

In the meantime I think I might have fried the sensor. It only gives very low sens voltages, now. Maybe I used resistors too low in resistance to split the voltage, I used 1K and 220 ohm. The voltage split was nice, but maybe the current was too high. Looking at other set-ups, they all use values about 10 times as high. To me asking 20mA of the sensor doesn't seem excessive, but maybe it was.

Because of that and because I want a glass plate to print on in the future, I just ordered some bits and bobs for a servo / microswitch set-up. The setup already works with a micro switch on a temporary fixed mount to the printer head, I now just need to make the servo retraction.

Cheers,

Hugo
September 11, 2017 09:03AM
I plugged my SN04-N into the 5v supply line works fine.

Brown wire to 5V
Black wire to NO contact
Blue wire to Ground

Wired like this

I know I got confused because Black is ground but in this case it is NO contact switch. And blue is ground
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login