Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Short, jerky movements when trying to home with Marlin 1.1.3

Posted by fullHundo 
Short, jerky movements when trying to home with Marlin 1.1.3
July 03, 2017 10:21PM
I have upgraded my reprapguru prusa i3 from the old Marlin version that it comes with to version 1.1.3, but my axes will barely move with the new firmware. As far as hardware goes, I have upgraded the machine with an MKS base 1.5 board, aluminum bed with silicon heater, e3d v6 hotend, and a Titan extruder with a 0.9 nema17 motor. The whole reason I'm upgrading my firmware to begin with is because of problems getting the new Titan and motor to extrude properly on the old firmware.

After uploading the new firmware, my X, Y, and Z movement behavior is off. For example, no matter where the extruder is on the X axis, when I try to home, it travels about 10mm in the proper direction very quickly, then halts. This happens on the Y and Z axes as well. The problem also happens during manual control. No matter how far I tell the axes to move in any direction, they only move the short, jerky ~10mm distance before halting. Even when the endstops are triggered, the machine hits the endstop quickly and then pulls away from it again without doing the refined, slower second homing movement that it has always done.

The problem goes away every time I flash back to my previous Marlin version, but I can't seem to get the Titan motor running properly with that version. So, what settings in Marlin would affect this? I have pored over the firmware line-by-line and tried to mirror all of my acceleration values and anything else I could think of.

Thank you for the help, I am still very new to firmware coding.

These are the only values I have changed from default in configuration.h of the 1.1.3 Marlin firmware:

#define MOTHERBOARD BOARD_MKS_13
#define TEMP_SENSOR_0 5
#define TEMP_SENSOR_BED 11
#define DEFAULT_Kp 18.56
#define DEFAULT_Ki 1.27
#define DEFAULT_Kd 67.81
#define DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT { 80, 80, 4000, 837 }
#define DEFAULT_MAX_ACCELERATION { 1000, 1000, 100, 10000 }
#define DEFAULT_ACCELERATION 500
#define DEFAULT_RETRACT_ACCELERATION 500
#define DEFAULT_TRAVEL_ACCELERATION 500
#define ULTRA_LCD
#define REVERSE_MENU_DIRECTION
#define REPRAP_DISCOUNT_SMART_CONTROLLER
Re: Short, jerky movements when trying to home with Marlin 1.1.3
July 04, 2017 03:19AM
The Titan extruder is not much different to the old-school Greg's-Wade extruders, so the older Marlin versions should be able to make it work.

Anyway, the short yerk homing moves indicate, there is something wrong with endstop-config, homing direction or manual home positions.

Can you try to push the head to its home position manually and send "G92 X0 Y0" instead of homing the printer?
Then send some move commands ( " G1 F1000 X50 Y50 " ) and see if the steppers move as you expect.
*edit: Might be saver to move the head to the center of bed and send " G92 X100 Y100 " or the like.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/04/2017 03:21AM by o_lampe.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login