Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Marlin firmware using universal g code sender ?Is it possible?

Posted by tm america 
Marlin firmware using universal g code sender ?Is it possible?
May 14, 2017 05:03PM
I currently am running a highly modified version of marlin firmware with a megatronics v2.0 controller ..Wanting to switch over to using ugs platform as it has keyboard jogging features and other things that would be nice to have with my machine..I am wondering if anyone has used universal g code sender with marlin firmware or does it only work with unmodified grbl ?
Re: Marlin firmware using universal g code sender ?Is it possible?
May 16, 2017 10:31PM
I believe it does work with Marlin.
September 26, 2017 08:14PM
Sender may be the next program I try. I'm trying Repetier right now, but not sure how well it will work. Sometimes it sends Gcode to Marlin, sometimes not. Between Repetier and Marlin, doesn't like my line numbers (N1000.. ) Doesn't to modal moves (G01 etc.). OK, I can get around that for a while. What I really want to do (first) is to run a laser. Tried LaserGRBL, but it doesn't want to talk to Marlin.

I know CNC, having run CNC on my Sherline mill and lathe. I built a little PCB router, I guess you'd call it a gantry, on which I want to run with RAMPS and Marlin. 3D printing would be a +.

Right now, I just need a workable pair of firmware and sender program to get started with. If I knew what additional was required for laser, I'd just add it to my STEP4 CNC software (old, runs on DOS). I've been doing the research, a lot of mis-starts to wade through. Finally found an appropriate (?) forum

Any tips?

Thanks in advance.

KM6VV
September 26, 2017 08:47PM
Use inkscape, it generates marlin compatible gcode see [www.youtube.com]

then use pronterface to send it (simple, no cpu wasting graphics if you don't want it) (also a console version if thats your thing)

Or put on a sd card and just run it from a lcd (recommend a 20x4, not a glcd)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2017 08:48PM by Dust.
September 26, 2017 09:35PM
Thanks.
I have downloaded and tired Inkscape, and I'm studying the video.
I haven't tried Ponterface yet, although it was on my list.
The SD card is running, although so far, Marlin doesn't like my line numbers. Seems Marlin wants you to start on line 0, an increment by 1 (and only 1) for each line. Not the way I write code. But I can put up with that for now (edit out line numbers).
I have the graphics, doesn't do much for me.
September 28, 2017 11:47AM
I am not sure what you mean by 'keyboard jogging' could you explain?

I use an Rpi and octopi or astropi print server and have a display on the printer with a control knob.

I find it very simple to slice into gcode with whatever then use the web interface to drop the gcode file into the print server over the network and then control the few issues either by the web interface of the print server or by the control panel.

Always interested in learning new tricks tho smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/28/2017 11:48AM by JustSumGuy.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login