Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Real problems with Ramps 1.4 and Marlin

Posted by DOYT 
Real problems with Ramps 1.4 and Marlin
March 17, 2017 07:05PM
I call them problems, because all of them are not present when I'm using my Rambo mini board. My printer prints preety good with the rambo mini board but i wanted to try the ramps 1.4. So I took my old firmware, change the motherboard to ramps 1.4 EFB and do some little changes.

Problem 1: LCD display Card inserted but when I go in the menues it sais no SD card.This problem is not present with the MiniRambo board. Still, sometimes, but only sometimes when I print from USB, i do get on LCD "Print from SD" but when I click to it, it will show weird characters or partial names of files like in the pictures. I m using 8GB SD card FAT32( i did not forgot to enable sd support card and so on in marlin)

Problem 2: When I press the Kill button from LCD, it sais printer halted, please reset. And everything is blocked. I can't do anything. So I need to power off the power supply and turn it on again in order to have a functional display. With my rambo board, after i press the kill button the system refresh itselfs and fans start to spin so they can cool the hotend. (same LCD, same SD card)
Attachments:
open | download - rsz_2017-03-17_222209.jpg (230.5 KB)
open | download - rsz_2017-03-18_003216.jpg (244 KB)
Re: Real problems with Ramps 1.4 and Marlin
March 18, 2017 01:06AM
Problem 1: LCD display Card inserted but when I go in the menue it says no SD card.

If you go into your Configuration.h file you might find:

//
// SD CARD
//
// SD Card support is disabled by default. If your controller has an SD slot,
// you must uncomment the following option or it won't work.
//
//#define SDSUPPORT

And if you have that line commented out... You won't have SD Memory card support.
March 18, 2017 07:07AM
As I described: ,,( i did not forgot to enable sd support card and so on in marlin)". And if this was the mistake, i don t see the meaning of the pictures, and also it won't work with rambo mini. I use the same modified version of firmware but I changed the motherboard to ramps 14 EFB. I also tried with others marlin versions like bug fix, rc 6 etc but I have the same problem.
March 18, 2017 08:15AM
For the second problem I think I need to change marlin code so when I press the kill button from lcd pannel this will access the reset buton from the ramps 1.4. Practically, this is what i want. I want my button from LCD panel to act like the reset button mounted on the ramps board.
March 18, 2017 03:23PM
DOYT
I want my button from LCD panel to act like the reset button mounted on the ramps board.

You and me both! I would trust a hard wired reset button much more than one that relies on the firmware doing everything correctly and being alive.

But... The Kill button on the LCD isn't wired that way. And in fact.... There isn't even a Reset pin you can connect a switch up to on the RAMPS board. I soldered a wire onto the reset switch and ran it to a big red switch I can press quickly if the printer is in danger of hurting itself. (I need that much more than the causal user. But still... I think the RAMPS board should bring the reset switch out to a connector.)
March 19, 2017 05:12AM
I understand.... I can live with that. But the SD problem.....what should I do? Tmr I ll change the hardware setup. Maybe it's the arduino mega, maybe it s the ramps..... LCD i'm sure it's working.
March 20, 2017 01:14AM
For sure... The SD Memory card works on a RAMPS board. I use PronterFace, but every one of my printers has a RAMPS board. The SD Memory card works in a RAMPS setup with Marlin. I can promise you that! If you can't get it to see a FAT-32 4GB SD card.... Open an issue at GitHub. Somebody that uses SD cards to print will be able to figure out the problem.
March 20, 2017 05:42AM
I now it's working great. Like I said I don t have any problems with my rambo mini board and the same card, same LCD.I think the arduino mega is my problem. I ll change it and see after. Because what is weird that During the print from USB I get Print from SD function. So........ the mega is not sending right datas probably.
March 21, 2017 03:37PM
So if someone else is reading this and has the same problem you should also check the LCD adaptor from the Ramps board. That one who receive the EXP 1 and EXP 2 cables. In my case, this was the problem. I replaceit and now i don't have any problems. Topic can be closed. Thanks!
March 22, 2017 09:14PM
Yeah... And some how... There are LCD Panels being sold with reversed cables and connectors. Arrrrghhh!
March 24, 2017 04:46PM
It would be easy for me to see that this is the problem but it was not. It was the PCB adaptor from Ramps. Probably some bad connections on PCB. And also for those who'll have same problem.... If you print from SD and your printer goes crazy like is printing what should not, try to change the SD card.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login