Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

connecting second z-stepper-motor

Posted by XiniX 
connecting second z-stepper-motor
February 23, 2017 11:13PM
Hi all!

I'm a bit of a newbie, been printing for a while, then my board stopped working. So I replaced my Arduino 2560 + Ramps 1.4 Shield for this MKS, and of course I need to install Marlin on it. Now most of it is working fine, but one thing I have difficulty with: the old Ramps had 2 x 4 pins next to the Z-stepper-driver, because the z-movement uses 2 stepper motors. But this MKS board only has 1 x 4 pins for the z-stepper-motor. (see picture, circled in red) Those work fine, but I need another 1 x 4 pins that do exactly the same. Can I now in the firmware designate the other 4 pins (circled in blue) to copy the behaviour from the original z-stepper pins? If yes, please tell me how, although I'm not a programmer, I know the basics of coding, just not enough to figure it out myself.

Hope someone can help, and thanks!
Re: connecting second z-stepper-motor
February 25, 2017 03:11AM
The "Blue" pins are the control lines into the stepper driver, ie step direction enable and gnd.

You cannot directly plug a second stepper motor in there.

Are you using both E0 and E1? if not you can just plug the second Z into E1 and update your firmware

see Configuration_adv.h

// A single Z stepper driver is usually used to drive 2 stepper motors.
// Uncomment this option to use a separate stepper driver for each Z axis motor.
// The next unused E driver will be assigned to the second Z stepper.
//#define Z_DUAL_STEPPER_DRIVERS
February 25, 2017 08:27PM
Hi Dust!

Thanks a lot for your reply! I have tried that, and it doesn't work. I assume the reason for why it doesn't work is that I have 2 z stepper motors, but not 2 z stepper motor drivers. And i wouldn't need 2 z stepper motor drivers, because i want them to do exactly the same... So would you be able to think of a way to copy the z pins to 4 other pins, on which i can connect the second z stepper motor?
February 26, 2017 03:03AM
Why don't you solder the two steppers together? Parallel connection would be the easiest, but series connection is better for the driver.

Parallel:
black to black
green to green
etc...

Series:
black1 to green2
green1 to driver_pin2

black2 to driver_pin1

blue1 to red2
red1 to driver_pin4

blue2 to driver_pin3
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login