Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Possible to set "ZMin" when doing bed leveling / Z probing

Posted by Swift 
Possible to set "ZMin" when doing bed leveling / Z probing
February 13, 2017 01:34PM
Question: Can a "ZMin-while-probing" be set?
Meaning a minimum Z height the printer bed can move to, while Z Probing.

Purpose: For safety reasons should the probe switch not fire for some reason.

--

in Marlin Configuration.h, I see you can set the height of the Z Axis before deploying the ZProbe:

#define Z_PROBE_DEPLOY_HEIGHT 35

In the context of this question, this is effectively a "ZMax-while-probing", i.e the lowest possible the print bed will be before Z Probing commences.

I am looking for a "ZMin-while-probing" equivalent. The reason for this is just an added safety check - I know that if the probe switch doesn't fire by Z<=25, then it is not going to, and with this particular printer configuration, that would result in the Z Probe being driven into the printer bed.

Does a setting already exist to create a sanity-check here?

Thanks.
Re: Possible to set "ZMin" when doing bed leveling / Z probing
February 14, 2017 04:05AM
IIRC it is called" software_endstops" and prevents the head from going out of borders.
Re: Possible to set "ZMin" when doing bed leveling / Z probing
February 27, 2017 04:36PM
Thanks.

Clarifications:
1) in this case, it's not the head that I need to control position of, but the bed Z-axis. (unsure if this is materially different)
2) would software_endstops "permanently" stop the head/bed from moving into that range? I.e I still need the bed to be able to be Z>=0 when printing, it is just when doing the bed-levelling, that I need to the bed to stay in the safe range of Z>=25.

Is it possible software_endstops is configurable at runtime perhaps? So I could just have:
OnBeginMarlin: end_stop_z=0
OnStartBedLevelling: end_stop_z=25
OnFinishBedLevelling: end_stop_z=0

?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login