Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Compiling Marlin on Raspberry Pi (Raspbian Jessie)

Posted by yonkiman 
Compiling Marlin on Raspberry Pi (Raspbian Jessie)
December 11, 2016 05:32PM
When I try to compile a feshly cloned Marlin 1.1.0-RC8 on my Raspi3 (by entering "make" in the Marlin directory), I immediately get
make: *** No rule to make target 'applet/wiring.o', needed by 'applet/Marlin.elf'.  Stop.

I'm using a clean install of arduino version 2:1.0.5+dfsg2-4.

Searching around I've seen others with this issue, but either there was never a clear answer of the answer doesn't work for me.

The really strange thing is that the version of Marlin that came with my printer (several years old) compiles perfectly...
Re: Compiling Marlin on Raspberry Pi (Raspbian Jessie)
December 11, 2016 10:58PM
the Makefile is very very badly maintained, as most people use the GUI

Also most don't compile on Raspi3, are you just a glutton for punishment?

regardless, if you load this in the GUI you still error

"Versions of Arduino IDE prior to 1.6.8 are no longer supported, please update your toolkit."

So basically this is now impossible to compile on a raspburry pi with standard packages (which is still 1.0.5, if i'm reading that version correctly)

Now there is the experimental "Linux ARM (experimental)" on the arduino download page. You could try that
December 12, 2016 03:09AM
Dust
the Makefile is very very badly maintained, as most people use the GUI

Ahh... My printer came with everything setup for compiling and uploading on the Raspi, so I just assumed that was normal. It was actually pretty convenient.

Also most don't compile on Raspi3, are you just a glutton for punishment?

How did you know? spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

regardless, if you load this in the GUI you still error

"Versions of Arduino IDE prior to 1.6.8 are no longer supported, please update your toolkit."

So basically this is now impossible to compile on a raspburry pi with standard packages (which is still 1.0.5, if i'm reading that version correctly)

Now there is the experimental "Linux ARM (experimental)" on the arduino download page. You could try that

Ahhhh... That's the problem - I misread the "2:1.0.5" as "2.1.0.5" which is clearly > 1.6.8.... I guess numbers and basic literacy matter after all...

OK, so it sounds like all I need to do is install the environment and compile on my PC. Thanks for the help!
mfm
April 24, 2017 01:46PM
I made a script that does just what you are looking for. It sets up the build environment and has commands for building and uploading Marlin.
You can find it here: [blog.mmone.de]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/2017 01:46PM by mfm.
April 24, 2017 02:08PM
Thanks! I ended up compiling on my PC, but if I get a chance I'll try out your script.

Cheers,
Fred
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login