Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Any Experience for SD Card Logging

Posted by yuzmemak 
Any Experience for SD Card Logging
December 09, 2016 04:29AM
Hi,

Any experience for logging to recover failed print? If we log what all gcode steps with error codes, we would recover our half printed items.

Best Regards
Re: Any Experience for SD Card Logging
December 28, 2016 06:49AM
Hi

Isn't it good idea?
December 28, 2016 07:17AM
would slow the printer to a crawl (most are slow 16 mhz controllers)

would wear out the sd card (they are only good for 100,000 writes each sector) this can be mitigated by implementing a wear leaving file system..

the last thing you want is the power to go out when trying to update a file, will most likely corrupt entire sd

Logging to a battery backed up memory chip would be far wiser.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/28/2016 07:20AM by Dust.
December 30, 2016 11:28PM
I think we could be a little more elegant about it. Ignoring the SD-Memory card case, we could have the host computer keep track of how far it got. And it could do some clever things to recover and start from where it left off. Probably, it would have to do things like re-align the nozzle and purge some filament.

But for the SD-Memory card case, we could probably leave a progress counter on the LCD Screen saying how far it got. Maybe it would be something like you reset the board but hold the Encode Wheel in a 'Clicked' position and that tells the firmware to go get the recovery information. Some how, all of the homing, heating, and alignment issues would have to be dealt with. But with some work (and some limitations) it could probably be done.
December 31, 2016 09:16AM
also MKS TFT28 LCD already has a controller (the smart LCD) that has battery backup eg banggood
December 31, 2016 12:36PM
Well... Here is something to keep in mind: The AVR processors do not clear memory when they reset. If the user did not cycle power, it would be possible to have a small piece of memory set aside to hold the recovery information. If recovery is needed, that piece of memory could be referenced and used to get back what ever is needed.
January 22, 2017 08:28AM
Roxy
I think we could be a little more elegant about it. Ignoring the SD-Memory card case, we could have the host computer keep track of how far it got. And it could do some clever things to recover and start from where it left off. Probably, it would have to do things like re-align the nozzle and purge some filament.

Is there any software exist for this aim?

Best Regards
January 22, 2017 08:29PM
yuzmemak
Is there any software exist for this aim?

Best Regards

I'm not sure how to answer that. I'm thinking hard about it. I've had a couple of difficult prints fail after 12 or 15 hours. And I was able to get them restarted successfully. I was manually issuing GCode commands. And I needed to home in a corner instead of in the center of the bed because the part (a big skull!!!!) was in the center of the bed.

I've got a couple of ideas how to do this. But no software has been written yet.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2017 08:29PM by Roxy.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login