Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Marlin Update Question

Posted by GreatBazunka 
Marlin Update Question
November 28, 2016 01:02PM
I have a Melzi board with Marlin v1 on it and would like to update it to the latest 1.1RC to get some of the new features. I have done alot of searching but can't quite answer my question. Can anyone tell me if i can, and how i can go about updating the Marline firmware on my current printer. I am sure i have to copy the current settings over from the old to the new, but will the new firmware still work the same with the old configurations? Is the board even compatible with the new firmware?
Re: Marlin Update Question
November 28, 2016 01:25PM
November 28, 2016 11:47PM
GreatBazunka
I have a Melzi board with Marlin v1 on it and would like to update it to the latest 1.1RC to get some of the new features. I have done alot of searching but can't quite answer my question. Can anyone tell me if i can, and how i can go about updating the Marline firmware on my current printer. I am sure i have to copy the current settings over from the old to the new, but will the new firmware still work the same with the old configurations? Is the board even compatible with the new firmware?

I'm not sure about Melzi. That is one of the boards people have been complaining about. Right now I'm putting a RAMPS board in my first printer because it had a PrinteRboard and that company keeps telling people they should compile with 4 year old Arduino v.22 They refuse to provide new board files so Arduino can compile and load the current firmware onto the board.

Seriously... On eBay, for under $20 (including shipping) you can get a RAMPS v1.4 with Mega-256 processor board and all the step sticks. It isn't worth fighting the bad support some of these companies 'provide' for their boards.
November 29, 2016 09:50AM
Thats kind of what i figured. This is my first 3D printer and i have never installed or swapped a new board so it will be a learing experience. I understand firmware and arduino but i am not sure about getting the configs right in marlin for my existing printer since it came with the board already setup. I am sure i will be back with more questions.
November 29, 2016 11:35AM
Don't be scared of it! It isn't that bad. The 4-wire stepper motor cables just unplug from the old board and move to the new board. And then you move your thermistor connectors. And then you move the endstop connectors. On my printerboard the end stop connectors were different so I had to move one of the wires over to the next pin. That was a little bit difficult. But then you just wire up the big power wires and you can start the debugging.

The first thing I did was make sure the endstops where detecting being hit by must issuing a M119 and using my finger to press one switch at a time. Once you get that correct... You use PronterFace to move the nozzle around and make sure everything moves OK. And that it moves in the correct direction. If not... You can just unplug the stepper motor wire bundle and plug it in the opposite way to reverse the direction of the motor. Then you see if you can home by giving it a G28.

And at this point you are ready to turn on the heaters...

It is a step by step process and even if you run into problems... They aren't that big of a deal to work through. Don't be scared of it. Once you get up on a RAMPS board, there will be lots and lots of people that can help you because that pretty much has become the standard.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login