Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Need to recover firmware settings.

Posted by jmalinski 
Need to recover firmware settings.
August 12, 2016 09:37AM
I have a printer I have been using for 2 and a half years . It runs great and prints very good. We use it daily. My son and I are prototyping medical devices for veterinary medicine. Our problem is this. My laptop was stolen with all my printer backup files. How can I get a copy of my Marlin firmware for this printer. It took almost a year to get it printing as good as it does, and that was painstakenly tweaking over long a period of time. I don't know enough about the Arduino mega to figure out how to download the firmware on the machine right now. Can anybody help?

T.S. Elliot said: "...between the conception and the creation falls the shadow." 3D printing is operating in this shadow world. To accurately reproduce an object, is an art form.
Re: Need to recover firmware settings.
August 15, 2016 01:34AM
jmalinski
I have a printer I have been using for 2 and a half years . It runs great and prints very good. We use it daily. My son and I are prototyping medical devices for veterinary medicine. Our problem is this. My laptop was stolen with all my printer backup files. How can I get a copy of my Marlin firmware for this printer. It took almost a year to get it printing as good as it does, and that was painstakenly tweaking over long a period of time. I don't know enough about the Arduino mega to figure out how to download the firmware on the machine right now. Can anybody help?

Unfortunately, I don't think you can go back. The Arduino IDE takes those files you configured and compiles them all into a binary file which is what gets uploaded to the printer. It can't reverse the process. Here's a thread that talks about how to retrieve the binary firmware file from the board, but that would just be a backup for you. You wouldn't be able to do anything with it as far as recreating your source files.

If you do an M503, it will print some of the settings in use and you might be able to match some of those up to the settings you had in Configuration.h. You will see things like your feed rates, acceleration, X/Y jerk, etc. There might be some other g-codes that might give you more clues as to the settings you had configured. It might take some tedious detective work, but you might be able to piece together most of what you had before.
August 15, 2016 05:33PM
It won't take that long to reverse engineer the settings. Just compile and load the latest RCBugFix code. And see if you can see each end stop and move the axis in the correct direction. You can invert both the end stop switches, the home direction, the movement of the steppers, etc. You will get it reconstructed in an hour or so once you are setup to rebuild the firmware and load it.
August 17, 2016 05:49AM
Thanks guys, I've followed all the advice and I am pretty close to having it back. I will also store a copy of the firmware in the cloud so this does not happen again. Jerry

T.S. Elliot said: "...between the conception and the creation falls the shadow." 3D printing is operating in this shadow world. To accurately reproduce an object, is an art form.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login