Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Extruder calibration issues

Posted by Grinsaw 
Extruder calibration issues
May 31, 2016 02:06PM
I need some assistance in getting my extruder calibrated. The problem is I am not able to calibrate the extruder. I can manually extrude 100 mm of filament and only 20 or so comes out.

I am building a OB1.4 open beam 3D printer, [www.thingiverse.com]

E3D v6 Hot End Full Kit - 1.75mm Universal (with Bowden add-on) (12v)

E3D Titan 1.75 Titan Extruder W/ Bowden.

Rambo stepper motor controller and Arduino 1.0.6

All my stepper motors are 1.9°

++++++++++++

Titan instructions for the Extruder that i followed:

Because Titan uses a known gearing ratio and a consistently machined drive gear, we can offer a fairly accurate steps / mm set-point.
Steps per Unit (Extruder) = Motor Steps * Micro-stepping * Gear Ratio / (Hobb Diameter * Pi)

Standard motor steps / rev = 200
Standard micro-stepping = 16x
Gear Ratio = 3
Hobb Diameter (Effective) = 6.7
200 * 16 * 3 / (6.7 * 3.142) = 456

To test your value, mark the filament 120mm from the extruder then extrude 100mm slowly. If you do not measure 20mm after extrusion has finished, you may need to tweak this value.

The only thing you will need to update is your steps per mm. For a standard 200 step motor with 16x micro-stepping you will need:
#define DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT {___,___,___,456} ;

++++++++++++

Merlin config.

#define DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT {49,49.3017,60,456} // default steps per unit for Ultimaker
#define DEFAULT_MAX_FEEDRATE {200, 200, 3, 25} // (mm/sec)
#define DEFAULT_MAX_ACCELERATION {3000,3000,100,10000} // X, Y, Z, E maximum start speed for accelerated moves. E default values are good for Skeinforge 40+, for older versions raise them a lot.

#define DEFAULT_ACCELERATION 3000 // X, Y, Z and E max acceleration in mm/s^2 for printing moves
#define DEFAULT_RETRACT_ACCELERATION 3000 // X, Y, Z and E max acceleration in mm/s^2 for retracts

The default steps per unit for the extruder that I started with are 456.

++++++++++++

I have tried to manually extrude one hundred millimeters with Pronterface and I have also tried to use G code, G1 E100S95, to extrude one hundred millimeters. Changing the steps per unit from 456 to some other number does not seem to have an effect on what is run. I have no idea whether this is a Pronterface problem or a Marlin config problem. This is the last thing I need to get my printer running, and it's driving me crazy. Please help thanks in advance.
Re: Extruder calibration issues
May 31, 2016 02:19PM
Sounds like you have the EEPROM enabled. You have to send a M502 followed by a M500 after a firmware upload that has changes in configuration.h.
May 31, 2016 03:16PM
stephenrc
Sounds like you have the EEPROM enabled. You have to send a M502 followed by a M500 after a firmware upload that has changes in configuration.h.

Even when you edit it with Arduino ?
May 31, 2016 04:18PM
What you edit in Arduino isn't the EEPROM. In pronterface after connecting, send the M502, followed by M500 to update the EEPROM with the new values. Marlin doesn't automatically update the EEPROM data, but the data in the EEPROM is used when the firmware boots up.

One of the items saved in the EEPROM is the steps per millimeter for the x, y, z and extruder.
May 31, 2016 04:21PM
stephenrc
What you edit in Arduino isn't the EEPROM. In pronterface after connecting, send the M502, followed by M500 to update the EEPROM with the new values. Marlin doesn't automatically update the EEPROM data, but the data in the EEPROM is used when the firmware boots up.

One of the items saved in the EEPROM is the steps per millimeter for the x, y, z and extruder.

OK, got it. Let me try that. Thanks
May 31, 2016 04:40PM
stephenrc

That's it, it worked. THANKS SO MUCH.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login