Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Upgrading to the Latest Marlin release from an older RepRapPro Mendel clone

Posted by happyzax 
Upgrading to the Latest Marlin release from an older RepRapPro Mendel clone
February 16, 2016 06:18PM
Hi!

What I would like to know, is if it is a better idea to use the latest and greatest Marlin in place of the an early 'sprinter-melzi' build that the printer came with. From all of my testing, I can get latest version of Marlin to work but I am not sure that I have gained anything 'significant'.

The old 'sprinter-melzi' version did not have PID temp control, so that was the main impetuous for trying to upgrade. Now with Marlin, I can auto-tune my PID values which is very nice. However,I am (for some reason) not seeing the temperature flatline on the setpoint as I expected. It's always low and has trouble reaching the target temp. What can I be doing wrong? I use the same thermistor table for both firmwares so I know I am comparing apples to apples.

I know in time, I'll be able to work these issues out... my main question is... Is it better to have a printer running the latest Marlin... or the dated (but compatible) original firmware?

Thanks!
Re: Upgrading to the Latest Marlin release from an older RepRapPro Mendel clone
February 16, 2016 06:45PM
I believe the current RCBugFix is going to be much more stable than what was shipped with the printer.
Re: Upgrading to the Latest Marlin release from an older RepRapPro Mendel clone
February 16, 2016 08:30PM
That's a good point. Stability should be much greater than the original firmware. Marlin has alot of exposure.

One note I forgot to emphasis... it's a RepRapPro Mendel *Clone*. A kit I got from China. The original firmware is VERY OLD. A long dead branch of sprinter. I guess my vendor doesn't care to keep up.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2016 08:36PM by happyzax.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login