Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Wellington reprap meeting

Posted by Diecast dude 
Wellington reprap meeting
June 25, 2011 02:23AM
Hi All,
I am looking to see if any one in Wellington is interested in a Reprap meeting catching up. I am currently working at Weltec campus in Petone and I am pretty sure we can use one of the Labs there as a venue. I have a working Mendel and Weltec has a BfB Rapman which we could have there on show. It could be an oppurtuntinty for anyone thinking of starting a reprap project to come along and have a look as well as anyone who is currently working on a 3d printer project or has a completed Reprap to meet with other Reprap community members. Thinking maybe a week night in early August. Anyone interested?

Regards
Andrew
Re: Wellington reprap meeting
June 25, 2011 05:06AM
Sure, I'd be interested in dropping in on an event like this. Keep us posted if it goes ahead.

Cheers, Stuart.
Yes I am interested - please keep me posted
Thanks
Marius
June 29, 2011 03:48AM
I'm definitely keen to meet up and chat about RepRaps and 3D printing in general. I'm a member of the Makerbot Users Group (WelMUG) and have a CupCake I could bring along. I'm planning on building a Prusa Mendel later in the year so am keen to see other RepRaps and talk about vitamin (i.e. non-printable part) suppliers etc.

Thanks,

Matt
June 29, 2011 11:55PM
It would be awesome if you could bring a Makerbot along, Number of People interested is still a little " light" but will proceeed to organise in the hope of numbers picking up.

regards
Andrew
June 30, 2011 12:10AM
You could try organising it through the Wellington Makers Meetup (http://www.meetup.com/WellingtonMakers/) or just get in touch with Richard Fortune to spread the word around. He and some others from the group have just bought a Makerbot Thing-o-Matic and are in the process of putting it together (http://www.makers.org.nz/blog/2011/06/22/unboxing-a-makerbot/).
July 01, 2011 02:26AM
If I had the spare cash I would hop over from Nelson

July 03, 2011 06:40AM
I might be interested in coming along, up from Christchurch, time and money permitting
Re: Wellington reprap meeting (details)
July 18, 2011 01:09AM
Hi All,
I have arranged the following:

When: 4th August 2011, 4.30 pm to 6.00pm
Where: Weltec room NE039 (Automation & Mechatronics Lab) Cuba St, Petone, Wellington.
What: reprap meeting ( I will have amendel there and maybe all going well a Rapman)

It will be a pretty casual catchup wander in anytime after 4.30pm and catch up with like minded people.

Anyone interested is welcome. If you have an open source 3d printer bring it along!

regards
Andrew
July 24, 2011 04:59AM
I'll be coming up from Dunedin for a conference that weekend anyway so I'll be there.
Re: Wellington reprap meeting (reminder)
August 02, 2011 12:48AM
Hi All,
Meeting is all go for this Thursday , if anyone needs directions on how to get there you better PM me. Look forward to meeting with anyone who turns up on Thursday ( from 4.30pm).

regards
Andrew
I attend Weltec currently in Petone for my electrical coarse, I'd like to see your reprap. We should arrange a time to meet! I have partially made my reprap but I need a bit of help...

I wish I knew about the meeting before hand, only just read this thread today sad smiley
August 05, 2011 11:51PM
Thanks for organising this. It was interesting to see a number of variations of machines, including several actually running!

Stuart.
August 06, 2011 02:52AM
The meeting worked out great with a lot of interest, thinking of having another catch up in maybe a month or so's time. Maybe next time we could consider a little more structure to an event next time? It has been suggested we should maybe move the venue around with Vic Uni being a possibilty next time.

regards
Andrew
August 17, 2011 09:55PM
Hey folks,
We're having a Maker Meetup in Wellington next Wednesday(24th). While the topics of the meetup are usually quite diverse, this coming meetup will be specifically about 3d printing. We have a representative for the UP printer coming in to do some demos. Usually I run from such proprietary stuff, but I think it's quite important for us as 3d printer owners/enthusiasts to expose ourselves to the alternatives so that we can A) rest assured we're using the best tech for our needs & cool smiley see what the alternatives offer with a view to improving our own systems.

As a Makerbot owner I realise that I'm using a somewhat "off-the-shelf" system when compared to a reprap - but my interest lies in advancing 3d printing and exploring new tech such as 3d scanning techniques. If it's any consolation I'm currently printing parts for a Prusa out for my brother in the states. ( *sigh* It'll be fun trying to get those through customs..)

It'd be great to meet some of you as fellow makers. Also keen to help out with any events you might want to have in future. I have a space we can use for more lowkey events.

Read more about our events here: http://www.meetup.com/WellingtonMakers/
Or contact me directly @makerOrgNz or richard.fortune@gmail.com

Looking forward to catching up with you at some point.

Cheers,
- Richard
August 22, 2011 02:11AM
Reece called at my place today in Nelson on his way back down to the cold southern latitudes, we had time to discuss the merits of various Repraps, I showed my Mendel and he showed his Makerbot and half finished Prusa.

I was able to pick his brains over a few things while we had coffee then he left for Hanmer Springs, Nelson really turned on the weather as well it was a glorious day really warm. Hope you get back safe and that there is no snow on the roads Reece

August 23, 2011 08:16PM
Reece got to Christchurch ok, where he examined my working Prusa and took notes on various ideas smiling smiley
He should be back home in Dunedin by now.
August 24, 2011 03:00AM
I started assembling the Prusa I'm building today but only got the frame done as I don't have all the printed parts made yet and am awaiting the motors and electronics

April 28, 2012 01:47AM
Is this still going, I am keen to attend to see what others have done, me I have spent alot of money on a piece of art (doesn't connect, doesn't work).
July 14, 2012 05:01AM
I'm in Upper Hutt and have just got my RepRapPro Huxley working. I'm also keen on attending a Wellington group.
July 16, 2012 01:29AM
Happy to host a one off event at my work (Weltec in Petone) again if there is any interest.

regards
Andrew
July 16, 2012 03:33AM
I'd be interested in attending and am just round the corner in Eastbourne. My Ord Bot is mechanically complete; need to finish the electronics.

Diecast dude Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Happy to host a one off event at my work (Weltec
> in Petone) again if there is any interest.
>
> regards
> Andrew
July 16, 2012 04:38AM
Very interested in attending at Weltec.
I hear you have a rather nice commercial 3D printer. I'd really like to see it in action.
July 17, 2012 03:50AM
I will look into organising a meeting one evening in August, mabe a Thursday night?

P.S we have 3 printers now at weltec the Stratasys & 2x UP! printers

regards
Andrew
July 19, 2012 12:29AM
guyfromwellington Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Is this still going, I am keen to attend to see
> what others have done, me I have spent alot of
> money on a piece of art (doesn't connect, doesn't
> work).

I went last night and enjoyed myself showing off my new Huxleycool smiley.
Richard and the other CoLab members were very friendly and helpful.
CoLab is well equipped, with a couple of 3D printers - a Darwin and a Makerbot, and a lasercutter
Hey guys,
I've been somewhat of a lurker on this forum in the past as we were primarily Makerbot focused, due to the fact that that's the only tech we had. But lately we've got a few machines on the go and hold weekly open nights for people just to drop in and chat/compare notes/conspire on projects..We're even upgrading out Makerbot to use Sanguinoloulo board at the moment. which effectively makes us cousins!! winking smiley

We also hold more irregular meetups which we refer to as 3d Printer A&E events(next one is called the BettyFrodo Clinic, where folk can bring their machines along and try to troubleshoot any issues they might be having with their prints etc.. Or simply to show off their amazing print results!

Either way the best way to keep up to date with what happening in Wellington and in the wider area is to check out the meetup group setup for makers like us.

http://meetup.makers.org.nz

If you have any ideas for events or want to advertise an event please get in touch and I'll pop it in the calendar. It's nice to give people a clear view of what's happening in the maker scene so they can book stuff in and make sure they can attend.

Would be keen to drop out to see the Stratys in full swing too! Happy to car pool if others in Welli are heading out.

Fantatic to meet you last night Graeme! Very impressed with the Huxley - infact...mad envious of it's print speeds I must say. Also, there's something innately impressive about such print efficiency. As opposed to watching our poor ol' ToM chug along the Axis..

Cheers,
Richard F
==========
Trustee of MoNZ
Co-labber @ Colab181
Maker @ WellingtonMakerspace
July 22, 2012 08:05AM
Hi

I am also in upper hutt and have recently built a prusa. Keen to catch up and swap notes.

Cheers
February 10, 2013 12:44AM
I've been away a while. Did this meeting happen, or has the weather "forced" everyone outdoors? winking smiley
February 10, 2013 01:02AM
I don't think so or I missed it. Either way we should hold another one. smiling smiley
February 10, 2013 01:34AM
We could always try a see-you-in-the-pub-after-work thing, rather than trying to get printers together. Red carnation, left buttonhole, secret handshakes...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login