Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Best XYZ Configuration?

Posted by benrubles 
Best XYZ Configuration?
January 14, 2016 10:18AM
Which XYZ configuration is the most accurate / easiest to maintain?
Re: Best XYZ Configuration?
January 14, 2016 03:14PM
Your measure of best is a bit limited. For my money "best" should include:

• accuracy
  • reliability
  • low cost
  • readily obtainable materials
  • high printing speed
  • large build volume
  • easy to build, calibrate and maintain
  • robust/transportable without loosing calibration
  • compact (relative to print volume)
  • easy to enclose (for a heated chamber for ABS or to exclude dust)
  • capacity to add multiple extruders, either direct drive or bowden
  • capacity to add light weight machining head
  • light weight - if you plan to move it around. Heavier if you want to limit the effects of vibration.

You can't maximise all of the above in one machine. Dual direct drive extruders will be heavy and can't be moved fast. A fast delta machine is not particularly compatible with a direct drive extruder so is less suitable for elastomeric (flexible) filaments (and deltas are excessively tall compared to print height).

I haven't built one yet but my favorite mechanism at the moment for my next large capacity XYZ machine is CoreXY. The bed only goes up and down (slowly) and the X-Y mechanism is fast. With XYZ machines like Prusa i3 having the bed moving fast means that the overall machine speed is limited. Also if you do a large print on your moving bed - the moving mass increases and can reach a limit where you skip steps - absolutely the last thing you want to see near the end of a 3 day print! With CoreXY the frame can easily be enclosed and the build volume is large compared to the overall volume. I would bowden feed a diamond hot end if I needed multi-extruder capability. I'd do a quick release hot end so I could replace it with a direct drive single hot end to be able to do flexible filament or a dremel tool to be able to do light machining or PCB drilling.

My Prusa Mendel i2 inspired Repstrap with welded steel frame: [youtu.be]
And my Smartrap derived Briefcase 3D printer: [youtu.be]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login