Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

About to purchase a 3D printer in Chch, advice required!

Posted by kartyboy94 
About to purchase a 3D printer in Chch, advice required!
November 16, 2014 05:08PM
Hi Everyone,

I posted up here about a year ago, looking to get a 3d printer, and it's finally come time and fundable to actually go ahead with a build!

I will be using it for prototyping, general building, and designing prototype RC car and robotics parts.

Currently, I am tossing up between a Da Vinci Ready to go printer, can get one for around the $800 mark, or buying the Prusa I2 kit listed on trademe here: [www.trademe.co.nz]

Was reading a couple of threads here earlier and a couple of people had less than positive comments regarding the Da Vinci,

What are everyones thoughts/advice between the two? I am an engineering student, with ample capability to complete the build, and would quite enjoy building/learning as i go, I suppose the biggest question is will the Prusa enable me to have a reasonable print quality to match the ready to go units?

I look forward to hearing your advice!

Cheers,
Luke
Re: About to purchase a 3D printer in Chch, advice required!
November 16, 2014 08:03PM
Having recently built my own i3 from a chinese kit,I doubt you could do it much cheaper than the kit on trade me.
If it had been available at that price when I bought mine,I wouldn't have bothered to get 1 from china.
Although my kit came in under $600,I've already spent $300+ on replacing parts for better quality items.
An i3 is a relatively easy upgrade from an i2 if you want to at a later stage.You could also convert it to a Mendel 90 fairly simply,mainly needing acrylic or aluminium frames.
The Da vinci is tied to it's manufacturer,s filament cartridges,not something i would want.You might think differently.
"hobbyist" on trade me sells good quality filament at a reasonable price,and you can pick it up rather than spending on freight.
A reprap type machine is more of a tinkerer's proposition though,requiring a bit of tuning to get the best out of it.
The print quality is dependent mostly on how much time you're willing to spend setting it up.
I didn't make a lot of effort in tuning mine,but the prints still came out pretty good.
You have to remember a nice high density print takes a long time,compared to a lower density,but usable print.
Btw.,do not buy anything with a Melzi controller board,I found out the hard way that it's more trouble than it's worth.
Ramps/Arduino is also much more widely supported with thousands having been built,meaning a very large amount of
information is available online.This forum being a prime example.
I'm in chch myself,and there are several other members of this forum here.
November 17, 2014 11:42PM
Thanks for your reply!

have just today purchased the I2 kit on Trademe. Figured it will be a place to start giving me all the parts I need. can always upgrade later!

Are there any "reprap meet ups" as such in chch?
November 18, 2014 02:09AM
Kartyboy94 - did you see my PM to you yesterday?

I try and get along to this meetup on Kilmore St on Sunday afternoons: [www.meetup.com]

Members are usually working on a range of electronic and programming projects. It isn't only 3D printing, although there are a few 3D printing enthusiasts who go. I take along my 3D printer and spend time either printing something or testing out design changes or new techniques. I should be there this coming Sunday.

I hope your i2 kit works out OK for you. You will learn a lot more than you would buying a ready made machine, and you won't be tied to small capacity proprietary filament cartridges.

My Prusa Mendel i2 inspired Repstrap with welded steel frame: [youtu.be]
And my Smartrap derived Briefcase 3D printer: [youtu.be]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login