Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New user

Posted by scottnz11 
New user
September 08, 2013 04:52AM
Hi I've been looking into building a reprap for some time now and have managed to convince the wife its a good idea and I'm in the process of purchasing a plastics kit.
I am able to get all the stainless parts at trade prices so have no issues there. But the motors etc are my issue as there are so many options out there and the $ will be my issue. I'm looking into oriental motors as I can get them through my work at a reduced price, any thoughts on these would be great?
I am in the Invercargill area so if there are any machines around here with willing owners, I'd be very keen to catch up and pick there brain.
Re: New user
September 08, 2013 05:09AM
[www.aliexpress.com] is where I usually get suitable stepper motors (thats a pack of 5)

They are known to work well. Good supplier.. cables are a little short and will need probably need extending and plugs, depending on what electronics you decide to use.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2013 05:18AM by Dust.
September 08, 2013 05:21AM
Hey dust those motors appear to have hexagonal axels is that a problem? Or do your pulleys fit straight on?
I've been looking for other motors but I can't find anything cheaper with the same torque, they are all much lower and more expensive.
September 08, 2013 06:12AM
They are 5mm round with a flat edge, for pulley grub screws etc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2013 06:15AM by Dust.
September 08, 2013 06:35AM
thanks for the quick reply.
those motors are a good price, But I have read that the larger motor can be hard to fit on the z-axis?
September 08, 2013 06:38AM
I don’t know what your building, but they fit fine on my I3. They are a standard length

September 08, 2013 05:55PM
That's good because I am planning on building an i3.
Sometimes a lot of threads have posts that contradict each other and it's hard to figure out witch way to head.
I think I'll start off with a basic machine and when I can build my own parts and have a better understanding of how it all works ill build something better.
September 08, 2013 06:29PM
Cheers for that Dust, I should be buying those in a month or so. And yeah scottnz11 they all seem to be 48 long, should fit just fine as Dust said.
Also the I3 is a fine machine, but no reason to stop there can always build another
September 08, 2013 07:53PM
I use Wantai motors.

[www.aliexpress.com]

September 16, 2013 08:34PM
I also use Wantai motors, most recently some 0.9degree/step versions www.aliexpress.com
I can also heartily recommend reprapdiscount.com for electronics. Their RUMBA board in particular is great - it's an integrated board with on-board Arduino controller so you don't have to separately source an arduino and then a RAMPS board (or whatever). They also do kits with stepper drivers included and have some very nice cabling packs that will solve any problems with short stepper wires.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login