Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Wellington region printing ?

Posted by grael 
Wellington region printing ?
September 03, 2013 05:59AM
Hi all,
I'm working on firmware for my delta printer but I currently have linear (ball type) bearings running on 7.95mm diameter SS rod and there's too much slop, I'm not even considering printing anything serious until either changing the rods or preferably, the bearings. Can anyone local print me a set of these and I can pay for the plastic and printing ?smiling smiley [www.thingiverse.com]
(In ABS or another slippery plastic but not PLA)
Thanks,
Graham.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/03/2013 06:06AM by grael.

My CNC/extruder creation: [grael-minifactory.blogspot.com]
Re: Wellington region printing ?
September 03, 2013 08:10PM
Well, I wouldn't consider ABS particularly slippery - maybe nylon but who is using that here?

September 04, 2013 01:42AM
PLA is better for bushes, much better wear...

And as for nylon... I have some hiding waiting for some time to get to play with it!
Actually I know a guy in wellington who is already printing in nylon, we split the order... to split the shipping costs... expensive stuff when your in NZ
September 04, 2013 02:38AM
I use PLA bushes on my X ends and they have performed well.

September 04, 2013 02:46AM
I'd be happy to have a go at the nylon, but my printer's out of comission for probably the next week or so. How urgently do you need it?
September 04, 2013 03:32AM
ex-parrot Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'd be happy to have a go at the nylon, but my
> printer's out of comission for probably the next
> week or so. How urgently do you need it?

A week or two probably won't make much difference actually, I have a bresenhem's line implemendation working through the delta arms, even one for circles. At the moment though, I've got to work on implementing all the normal use gcodes that slic3r uses, so far I've just been testing it's coordination. It's the high g force moves that show up the wobble on my current bearings. I don't want to do any multi hour runs on it until I sort the bearings.

If anyone needs something swapped in trade, I can machine basic things on my metal lathe... thread cutting might be a bit advanced for me though unless it's with taps and dies.

September 04, 2013 04:57AM
Dust and Waitaki:

makerbot website: "PEEK is more rigid and won’t bow out and leak everywhere with ABS. It would be better for PLA except that PLA likes to stick to everything. So PTFE (being not sticky) is preferable for PLA. ABS is very slippery by comparison so PEEK is more than adequate for it."

REPRAP site:
"ABS is good because it is easier to buy and requires less force to extrude than PLA as it has a lower coefficient of friction"

September 04, 2013 05:58AM
grael Wrote:
> A week or two probably won't make much difference

OK. Once the printer's going properly again I'll do a set in 645 and see how they look. A 645 demo print to get you excited: [finch.am]
September 05, 2013 01:48AM
Grael

talk about cross talk..

your quote from maker bot website is about thermal insulation "ptfe-versus-peek-thermal-insulating-barrier"
Your other quote from reprap is about the material itself

So the first one isnt related to printed bushes at all. PLA does not stick to steel, or very many thing really..

Put it this way, when people where printing bushes regularly, all those in the know said to print PLA bushes vs ABS
These days though most are using commercial bushes, as they are so much more accurate.

But Nylon should beat both hands done!
September 05, 2013 03:21AM
Dust Wrote:
> Grael
>
> talk about cross talk..
>
> your quote from maker bot website is about thermal
> insulation
> "ptfe-versus-peek-thermal-insulating-barrier"
> Your other quote from reprap is about the material
> itself
>
> So the first one isnt related to printed bushes at
> all. PLA does not stick to steel, or very many
> thing really..
>
> Put it this way, when people where printing bushes
> regularly, all those in the know said to print PLA
> bushes vs ABS
> These days though most are using commercial
> bushes, as they are so much more accurate.
>
> But Nylon should beat both hands done!

Dust, ignore the stuff about ptfe sleeving. I only included it to give some context to the important part of that paragraph!
It does seem clear (from what I could find) that ABS is more slippery than PLA. Confusing things though, PLA has a much higher viscosity. For durability results, it may be that PLA can carry a lubricating film better than ABS?
September 05, 2013 08:30PM
I felt inspired last night and got the i3 back together. Going to have a go at that bushing set now.
September 07, 2013 03:55AM
ex-parrot Wrote:
> I felt inspired last night and got the i3 back
> together. Going to have a go at that bushing set
> now.

I sent you a PM.

Did you see the forum is showing you as having one previous post, and no historical information like the rest of us for your two higher posts??
September 07, 2013 05:58AM
he appears to have posted as a guest under the same name, and only logged in for the latest post, says regiestered 2 days ago, 5/9/13 previous post was 4/9/13 before registration.
I could be wrong
November 08, 2013 07:39PM
Parrot sent me a bag of red and yellow PLA bearings and a few nylon ones as well. They all look pretty good!smiling smiley

Meanwhile I'd made myself some bootstrap PLA bearings as solid cylinders. Much better print resolution, but I'm getting less height in the centre of my bed, I think because my bootstrap bearings are very slightly undersized in outside diameter. I'll be swapping over to parrot's bearings to hopefully level out my bed...

Meanwhile, I still haven't finished implementing G-Code processing but I've had a lot of fun printing just by iterating out loops in C to print concentric circles, towers and sphereoids etc. I was using Raisonance's RIDE integrated development environment for my ARM C programming but it's been flaky, especially with recent windows updates blocking access to it's cache somehow... Changed to CooCox CoIDE and almost ported.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login