Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New to Reprap

Posted by Packhorse 
New to Reprap
July 02, 2013 03:14AM
Hi all,

First I would like to apologise for a question that has probably been asked far too many times, but I have searched and browsed for many hours and still cant quite work it out.

I would like to build a 3D printer.
I'd like to do it on a tight budget and as such happy to take my time and source parts at the cheapest rate I can.
I have a lathe/mill to use and have limited experience with Arduino.
The mechanical or electrical sides of it are not an issue.

I guess the biggest issues are,
what unit to build.
What parts are required
How long before I can print.
How much will it cost.

If anyone in South/East auckland is willing to help me out/show me theirs I would be very greatfull.

Also, how hard is it to convert a reprap to a 2D router/engraver?

Regards

Greg
Re: New to Reprap
July 02, 2013 04:49PM
Hi Greg,

I'm in Sth Akld (Pukekohe area).I've only recently started building my first machine (a Prusa i3 in my case)
You've askied a few question, so here's MY take on a few answers. Interpret them as you wish.

Q1: What unit to build?
A1: Whichever one you choose to. There are several designs out there for you to choose from. Even once you've selected a basic design model, you can customise it a bit to suit yourself. (In my case I chose a longer Y axis).

Q2: What parts are required?
A2: All of them! (Sorry, I had to be cheeky). You'll want to lookup a BOM (Bill Of Materials) for your chosen machine. Given that machines are often customised by the owners, the BOM is more of a 'guidline' than a strict list. Also, the parts rapidly evolve as users design new bits for existing machines. If this sounds too hard for you, then consider buying a full kit instead (which will include the pertinent parts to build a specific variant).

Q3: How long before I can print?
A3: That's a hard question as the answer isn't fixed in stone. If I had ALL the parts I needed, I'd guess I could have built the I3 I am working on in a few hours. However, I _want_ my build process to take some time as that's part of what I think is the FUN aspect. It also spreads out the dent in my wallet.

Q4: How much will it cost?
That's somewhat dependent upon which machine you select, and your DIY abilities. For example, if I had a lathe, I would build my own hotend and save myself around $100 from my total spend... I'd suggest you budget somewhere around the $1k mark, but be prepared for the actual figure to deviate from that by +/- 50% without so much as a blink of the eyes.

Q5: How hard is it to convert a reprap to a basic CNC?
A5: It's harder than boiling an egg, but easier than designing a space shuttle. Having said that, I will be doing exactly that once I'm done with my first machine. (I'm treating my first machine as a 'self learning exercise').
It'd be quite easy to just strap a spindle and tool onto the X carriage of a rerap and call it a 2D CNC router engraver, but I want 3D. I also want decent accuracy despite the fact that I'll be adding significant mass to the X carriage, so I'm expecting belts just will not be suitable. etc etc.

Good luck Greg...

TvB
Re: New to Reprap
July 09, 2013 06:56AM
Hi Packhorse

I agree with The Revva,

I was in your position when I started, I first built a prusa2 using mdf frame and smooth rods, cogs, belts etc..collected from old photocopiers found at the tip.
I made my own carriage and extruder out of scrap alloy going by photos from the web.
My heatbed was made from heated pads from car seats.
From memory, the only parts I had to buy were the stepper motors and electronics and linnear bearings
I built a ramps 1.3 as my soldering skills arent good enough for surface mount on the 1.4
It took me about a year to have everything up and running and actually producing prints I was happy with.
This process gets you really well aquainted with your machine and the whole 3d print thing.
for me the hardest part was callibraiting the printer to work well, but thats where you really learn stuff.
I have now made a mendel90, again from scratch, which has been excellent and turning out nice prints for a while
currently printing parts for a rostock delta printer.
Oh I have also built my own hot ends and am currently testing an all metal unit based on the e3d hotend, going well so far.
The cost for my machine was about $500.00 all up.
I found the best place to source parts from was Reprap world, which I would highly reccomend and Trademe, although there are a lot more options in NZ now such as Makershop NZ and Diamond age soulutions for some great filliament.
I have attached a couple of photos for your reffrence. Oh the medel90 has a case and clear door to keep the heat in as it gets too cold for printing in my workshop during winter.
As for the 2D router that was also what I intended to do but have have so much fun with 3dp that I havnt got there yet.
I wish you luck whatever you decide to do .
Attachments:
open | download - Prusa.jpg (72.6 KB)
open | download - My3dp.JPG (102.2 KB)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login