Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Anyone in the Manawatu area?

Posted by cada 
Anyone in the Manawatu area?
June 27, 2013 11:31PM
Hi I'm in the Manawatu area. Looking at building an i3 from makerfarm.com. Approx 900NZD by the time you add shipping. Probably need to add GST too) Does this look like a sensible way get an initial kit - are there cheaper options in NZ? I have a background in programming and a little electronics tinkering, so this will be quite a challenge, but I have a very enthusiastic son who thinks it's a great idea smiling smiley
Re: Anyone in the Manawatu area?
June 28, 2013 06:30AM
Shipping and gst will hit you a bit on this one. Kits have the advantage that you get everything in one hit, nothing more to think about. However all the i3 bits should be easy to source in NZ. ( I have as well as a number of others). There are a few people sellying the main frame ingredients, then you have the choice of a number of vendors, both locally and ex China for the rest of the parts. The more effort you put in the more you will save. A kit is good, you get everything but you may still need to wait as long for the kit to be put together as it would take you to source the other parts yourself, also if you do your own you can add the odd varient here and there. There is heaps of advice and helpful people out there just ask.
June 29, 2013 07:41PM
Makerfarm are a good supplier too but remember that purchases over $400 attract GST at the point of entry. Might be worth buying it in two stages or just the frame and source the other parts locally.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Richmond, New Zealand
Thingiverse ~ YouTube
July 01, 2013 08:44PM
from makerfarm.com looking at: (NZD)
$749 for the i3 8" kit
$112 GST
$120 Shipping
total = $981 (not bad)

now looking at local parts options...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2013 08:45PM by cada.
July 01, 2013 09:54PM
Although not a deal breaker, remember they charge GST for the shipping also, and I notice if you buy online they also charge an extra $40 tax (USD) so it's more like $799 + $120 shipping + $138 GST = $1,057

I'd be interested to hear how you get on pricing up the parts locally. I'm also considering putting one of these together at some stage.

Be sure to contact Dust here on this forum, he has laser cut a few frames for i3's (which look much better than the wooden ones from maker farm) and he was selling basic kits for single sheet frame and vitamins. He may be willing to sell one to you if you ask him nicely.
July 01, 2013 10:38PM
Hi, I'm in Palmerston North and am putting together an i3.
Bought a partial kit from Dust, and ordered electronics, steppers, and bearing from China.
Total Bill at this stage is just under $700.
Still waiting on electronics to arrive but should be very soon so I can get this thing working
July 01, 2013 11:24PM
Thanks for the correction NZ_Scythe- the prices sure add up fast after currency exchange/postage/gst.
Good to see someone else in the area tomas02 your materials bill looks a lot better.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login