Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Plastic parts

Posted by Meltedplastic 
Plastic parts
June 18, 2013 01:43AM
Hi there does anyone in Wellington have a set of prusa v2 plastics for sale? Also can anyone advise if stainless treaded rod is better for any reason over zp ? Rigidity etc
First time build and play so looking for plenty of advise

Cheers
Re: Plastic parts
June 18, 2013 02:24AM
Stainless in much better for Z lead screws in my view, more acurate, less friction. No zp partiles being rubbed off making a mess.

For the rest of the frame it doesnt matter. Stainless looks nicer and is harder, but is probably not worth the extra expense
June 18, 2013 04:10AM
Cheers Dust that pretty must confirmed what I was thinking now to start rounding up some parts and being. Guess if there's no one local with the plastics will have to order.

Thanks again won't be the last question I ask I'm guessing.
June 18, 2013 04:47AM
there are a bunch in wellington

[forums.reprap.org]

give it a little time tongue sticking out smiley
June 18, 2013 05:07AM
Will do hope people don't think I was being pushy going shopping tomorrow for parts smiling smiley now got to get the mrs on side ........
June 19, 2013 07:46PM
The benefit of stainless rods is mainly aesthetic. Zinc plated rods will gradually lose their silver appearance and turn white as the zinc oxidises.
The ends of the zinc rods will also rust.
The difference in cost for the M3 and M4 nuts and bolts is negligible but the M8 fasteners and threaded rod are more expensive in stainless.
As a rough guess, it might add up to about $60 difference on a Prusa-Mendel It2.
Regards,
Mike Paauwe

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
[www.makershop.co.nz]
Makershop - Reprap parts, adding new stock almost daily.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
June 20, 2013 12:36AM
Cheers all I ended up going fully stainless I went to coastal fasteners in porirua they are top guys got all bolts nuts and threaded rod for $100 then went over to tata steel in seaview got stainless smooth rod 6mtr for $35 so have heaps left over for other projects.

If any one in Wellington wants stainless guys above recommended

Still on the look out for some plastics to continue with but might have to buy off trademe if no one has any
June 20, 2013 12:59AM
Tata was good value, but 6m is the least they will sell to you.
June 20, 2013 01:15AM
Yip was 30.00 minimum value cash sale so ended up with the 6 metres but that's ok plenty to play with if any one on the kapiti coast needs some just ask me
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login