Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

christchurch meet and greet

Posted by Alizier21 
christchurch meet and greet
July 22, 2012 06:24AM
Hi,

Im fairly new to the reprap community . .i was just wonddering if there is a group of ``reprapers'' in christchurch and do you have regular meet and greets . .'coz i' d like to join and meet up if it there are any . . .
Re: christchurch meet and greet
July 22, 2012 06:28AM
Addition ig there is anexisting club, id like to join . .if not .. Lets make one . .

Advancing 3d printing in christchurch ..lets join together . .
July 22, 2012 06:54AM
There is no existing club in Chch that I know of.

You could start one.

There are a bunch of us in chch with machines in various conditions from fully working threw to just started.
July 22, 2012 03:57PM
I'm moving from Nelson to Christchurch too. Will be living there from September, and in town all this week, about to leave to drive down as have job interview tomorrow

July 23, 2012 02:34AM
@ dust

Yeah that sounds like a good idea, but, im just not too good in organizing these things. .hehehe ..
July 23, 2012 11:05AM
Right, first thing, judge interest in a club

Please raise your hand if your interested in a chch reprap/3d printing club of some sort.
(raise hand == post something here, in this case)

What do you want?

Formal or informal type structure?
Anyone got a space we could occupy?
Meet how often? Monthly, bi monthly?
What else needs asked?
July 23, 2012 03:55PM
thumbs up that's my hand raised there!

I've been to the Makerspace in Dunedin and they are quite an organizaed bunch. They have a room with workbenches and tools and stuff, it looks nice. We obviously wont start like that, but it might be something to aim to.

I assume we should bring our printers to the meetings, for that we need a lot of bench space ( or floor space at least) and that might be tricky.

Also, I run my Raprap out of an old laptop so it's easy to transport, but if you run it from a desktop PC you can't call it portable...

It would be awesome to see other machines and steal some ideas get some inspiration, and see what people are up to. there is a lot of potential in 3D printing in my opinion, and it would be good to get some cogs moving in Christchurch.
July 24, 2012 12:39AM
I'm upgrading to run off SD card

July 24, 2012 08:09AM
I could think of two places that we could hold our first meet . ..its big enough to hold a crowd with a 3d printer each . We can do our show and tell then . . .pick each others brains, if you want to call it that . .and maybe formalize the group . . Let the majority have a say on how we want the ``club'' to be .. .

We just need a show of interest now . . .

@ ekman

Yeah, 3d printing is a vast as where you imagination takes you . . . .i am using
Pronterface on a macbook to run my printer . .so its mobile to bring along if ever we organize a meet -up . . But im still a newb and still trying to get a print to my satisfaction . . . .
July 27, 2012 02:12AM
I don't have a reprap (I'm still debating whether I can afford one) but I'd love to be involved anyway.

Perhaps the university might be a good location? I bet if you talked to the engineering department they'd be happy to give you access to a room, or even the Machines Lab.

Chad Oliver
August 01, 2012 03:59PM
I'd probably be interested depending on day/time etc. etc.

You're moving down here too NelsonRap? cool, I was just up in nelson this last weekend.
August 01, 2012 04:12PM
Yes next week I think as I start my new job on August 14

August 02, 2012 05:14AM
Good idea @ chad

I'll ask around and try to contact universities see if its alright . .it would also be nice to have an informal meet-up smileys with beer with local reprapers . .

Good on you @ nelsonrap

Welcome to sunny christchurch . . Hehehe
August 02, 2012 05:58PM
keep me posted,
I often forget to read the forum here, but I'm nearly always on IRC.
August 06, 2012 10:56PM
Im sure the 6 of us would be really keen
August 07, 2012 04:16AM
Arriving Chch Thursday evening, have to look for rental houses on Friday so that the family can follow, start work next Tuesday Mitre10 Mega Ferrymead

August 10, 2012 07:08AM
A Christchurch meeting is definitely a good idea, that's my hand raised here. >grinning smiley<
August 11, 2012 03:01AM
Yes fantastic idea. I would be interested in joining a reprap group too. I have just finished putting together a makergear prusa. I am more of a visual person and have put the prusa together by watching videos. I find chat rooms and miles of paper rather convoluted. So I'm keen to learn in a practical enviroment. Here's a pic of my reprap. I guess it looks the same as any other but it's the first time it's been posted on the net spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
Cheers

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2012 03:20AM by Tiaka.
Attachments:
open | download - reprap.jpg (612.5 KB)
August 12, 2012 05:49AM
I am more interested in using my new Prusa Mendel commercially but would be interested to meet. Planning to make a mendelmax as well.
August 16, 2012 06:40AM
Wow, it aint going anywhere is it? Interesting how they are all the same as you say and yet all so different too. Your extruder looks interesting, what type is it?

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Richmond, New Zealand
Thingiverse ~ YouTube
August 30, 2012 04:26AM
Tentative date: 10 September, pm sometime
Where: Canterbury University, room to come..

Officially this is a rocket club event. And a once off..

But its a start..

There will be more information later

See you there.
August 30, 2012 04:20PM
Great stuff @ dust
August 30, 2012 05:00PM
Might be able to make it Mondays are one of my days off

August 31, 2012 05:05AM
Nice one Dust.

This date suits me well.
August 31, 2012 05:26AM
If someone would volunteer to do a talk on 3d printer that would be good. There will be rocket club people there that need converting smiling smiley

Other than that anyone want to plan anything? bring anything? say anything?
August 31, 2012 06:42AM
Do we bring our machines? I guess a demo would do for converting smiling smiley.
Afternoon sounds good to me.

Thanks for organizing it.
August 31, 2012 07:03AM
If you want to bring your machine. bring it.

More evening, most of have that work thing to schedule around.
September 01, 2012 07:40AM
sounds good. I'll probibly be there.
September 03, 2012 03:32AM
Hi, reprap-owner here, will be bringing my prusa mendel v2
September 03, 2012 06:10PM
Hi Guys

I am the president of the canterbury aerospace club. I have asked for a room booking on monday from 6.30pm to 8.30pm. I'll let you know if we don't get it, but that's pretty unlikely tongue sticking out smiley

There will be a projector in the room in case anyone wants to give a brief talk. If no one wants to give a talk, I'll just give a quick intro.

There will be power sockets in the room if you want to run your printers (which would be cool) it would be helpful to bring an extension cable and probably a multibox.

I'll try to bring my Mendelmax along as well smiling smiley

Cheers
Andre
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login