Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

mystery layer problems...

Posted by jimmyjim 
mystery layer problems...
January 22, 2017 04:18AM
I've been printing without too much trouble for a few months, however, I'm now having all sorts of layer problems.

I can get so far, then the layer will shift across 2 or 3 mm, but I'm sure there is no belt slipping, as its still perfectly parallel. The other problem is a mystery 2 or 3mm jump between layers.

This is not a silc3r problem, as I've tried to print previous successful prints with no joy!

I'm not sure where to start?
Help please

Cheers jim
Re: mystery layer problems...
January 22, 2017 11:32PM
Does the effector is firm without any freeplay when you wiggle it by hands?

One pair of diagonal arm developed freeplay by loose nylon nuts. It occurred me once.
January 23, 2017 12:54AM
I have change the arms (new carbon rods) and checked everything is secure.
January 26, 2017 10:24AM
I had a nylock nut come loose on the effector which caused layer shifting, it was also quite hard to spot and required the effector to be twisted to see it, it was probably only 1-2mm loose but made a big difference.

Other causes can be the filament curling up and hitting the effector (this can also push it up). You might experience this more if the room temperature or drafts have changed or the idler has cracked and allowing a bit more play in one of the belts.

I've had all three happen to me and always recommend you print some spare printer parts in case things break.

DC42 Kossel 330mm x 2meters
My Thingiverse Creations
January 26, 2017 11:45AM
Thank you for the response.

I think I have found the problem!

The cap screws holding the effector had, as you suggest, come loose!

Back to printing!!
January 27, 2017 04:37AM
@jimmyjim

I'm glad to hear it was easy fix.

Cracked idler. I replaced three original idlers with new ones a month ago.

One night before yesterday Fisher was spitting filament in the air. I checked the cause yesteray and found two cracked carriages.

Temporary fix using a ziptie. yawning smiley

DADIY
I've had all three happen to me and always recommend you print some spare printer parts in case things break.
Yeap.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2017 04:42AM by janpenguin.
January 27, 2017 02:06PM
How wrong was I!!!

Its the belts slipping at the overlap!!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login